This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Outdated/Annoying gaming mechanics.

#1VGAddict90Posted 5/9/2013 12:21:25 PM
What game mechanics were good, or at least tolerable in the time they were introduced, but need to go away, or are just plain bad?

For me, it's when after you complete an objective, you have to go back to a certain place to be given your next objective. Why can't you just tell my next objective right after I finish the previous one?
#2PhaseSlaethePosted 5/9/2013 12:22:30 PM
The typical style of Random Encounter, where you can't see for **** whether a fight will come or not.

Xenogears is one like that. And more often than not, you'll get a fight JUST before a doorway.
#3SieKensouPosted 5/9/2013 12:22:31 PM
VGAddict90 posted...
What game mechanics were good, or at least tolerable in the time they were introduced, but need to go away, or are just plain bad?

For me, it's when after you complete an objective, you have to go back to a certain place to be given your next objective. Why can't you just tell my next objective right after I finish the previous one?

to fit the story?... >.> to fit the setting?....

there can be many reasons.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#4chaosflame108Posted 5/9/2013 12:22:36 PM
First person shooters. Sigh...could this tired mechanic just disappear, FOREVER!
---
I AM SATANAIL. HE WHO SHALL SET RIGHT THIS DISTORTED UNIVERSE!!!
#5MyPhantomilePosted 5/9/2013 12:23:01 PM
Lives
#6Cl0udz1985Posted 5/9/2013 12:23:25 PM
QTE's
#7VGAddict90(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 12:23:50 PM
SieKensou posted...
VGAddict90 posted...

All it really does is artificially lengthen the game.
#8VGAddict90(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 12:24:44 PM
It wouldn't be so bad if you were instantly transported to the area where you learn your next objective.
#9SieKensouPosted 5/9/2013 12:24:58 PM
VGAddict90 posted...
SieKensou posted...
VGAddict90 posted...

All it really does is artificially lengthen the game.

here. how about this. i'll give you a game where there's multiple endings. all you have to do is click the correct door.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#10VGAddict90(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 12:26:47 PM
Having to go back to the area so you learn your next objective breaks the flow of the game.