This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Outdated/Annoying gaming mechanics.

#21J SasakiPosted 5/9/2013 1:57:34 PM
Games that make you hold down a button, especially a face button, to affect your movement like running, crouching, etc in open-world games. It should be toggle function or at least mapped to a shoulder button for open-world games.

Arkham City is pretty bad in this regard; you can't free-look while running or gliding because your right thumb is being used to run or glide. It wasn't a problem in Arkham Asylum because you didn't need to see around you while moving as much.
#22Anarchy612Posted 5/9/2013 2:20:21 PM
Silent protagonists
---
Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything.-Adroc Thurston
PSN: Anarchy612
#23SexySamSosa67Posted 5/9/2013 2:22:43 PM
I hate unlocking stuff nowadays. Just give me everything out of the box, especially in fighters.
---
Eminem Is The Greatest Musician Of All Time
Shawn Michaels Is The Greatest Athlete Of All Time
#24AlltraPosted 5/9/2013 2:30:48 PM
Depending on the way they use it, RNG. RNG should be use sparingly. There really shouldn't be very much randomness involved in game play, and when it is used, the chance should be no less than 10%.

For example:

Rare Enemy + Rare Drop = {Bleep No} Pick one or the other, not both. The rarer the drop, the more common the enemy should be, and the rarer the enemy the more common the drop should be.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#25SSJ_JinPosted 5/9/2013 2:31:48 PM
I'ma kinda confused on this random encounter thing being annoying/outdated. That's how an RPG is played. That's like saying special moves in fighting games is annoying/outdated. I'm missing something. I'm legit confused at that statement.

Also, save points? What!?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#26Anarchy612Posted 5/9/2013 2:36:22 PM
SSJ_Jin posted...
I'ma kinda confused on this random encounter thing being annoying/outdated. That's how an RPG is played. That's like saying special moves in fighting games is annoying/outdated. I'm missing something. I'm legit confused at that statement.

Also, save points? What!?

They are talking about when you can't see the enemy on the field
---
Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything.-Adroc Thurston
PSN: Anarchy612
#27cirkmetroidPosted 5/9/2013 2:37:29 PM
Collecting tokens such as feathers/coins/stars/ribbons that are strung all over the entire game and serve no purpose other than to "add replay value" and give a stupid trophy reward.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
Sprites rule.
#28tigerex777Posted 5/9/2013 2:42:37 PM(edited)
regenerating health. I remember all the fps shooters I played on PC before Halo brought that crap and dumbed down all PC and console shooter's difficulty.

Infinite enemy respawn, notorious mostly on COD franchise and a lot of other shooters as well. I just don't like it.

Teleporting ai teammates. I really hate this one. I know it was made so that the ai wouldn't get stuck behind and slow down your pace, but why not just improve the ai pathing instead? I hate when I see ai teammates staying behind while I'm moving and after going through a door, Boom! they're right behind me. Reminds me of slender man, but not in a scary way more like dumb, break the flow of realism for me.
---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 460 SLI @ 800/2000 / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Acer 22 1680x1050 / Windows 7 64
#29AlltraPosted 5/9/2013 2:49:08 PM
I don't have an issue with Random Encounters, as long as they offer players controls that allow them to choose when and what they fight.

That's the biggest reason people hate your traditional REs, because you basically get into a fight every 2 seconds and you have no control over when and what you fight. Whereas with the newer "I can see you" encounters, when they're done right, you do have control over when and what you fight. (because they can still be done badly and turn out exactly like REs)

The issue isn't that the mechanic itself is outdated. It's more of an issue of it being annoying and poorly implemented most of the time.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#30keybladesrusPosted 5/9/2013 3:00:07 PM
Random Encounters and mother******* save points! Seriously, I could save anywhere in the first freaking Pokemon games! Why do I have to hunt for save points in 2013?! It's even worse when these two are paired together: I don't want to spend half an hour of slogging through random encounters just to find a save point so I can turn the game off!

F****** hate save points...
---
"My favorite color of poop is seven." - Seanbaby, cracked.com