This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Original PS3 got YLOD. Getting a replacement PS3 60GB. (Questions)

#1MaliciousMongoPosted 5/9/2013 2:02:50 PM
My original 60GB got the YLOD about 3 weeks ago and I'm getting another one within the next few days. After reading some other websites and forums about migrating my data and stuff to the new system, I wanted to get some informative feedback from some of the people on here.

Basically, I'm planning to just take out the old 250GB HDD I had in my busted PS3 and swap it in to the new one. However, what I didn't factor in was that the new system will automatically reformat the HDD when I swap it in and basically I wanted to pose some of the following questions:

1) Is there any way to get the data off of it without being able to turn my original PS3 on?

2) How do I go about "deactivating" my old PS3?

3) I have PS Plus atm and therefore, a bunch of my data is saved to the cloud. Is there a way thru Sony's website or something to check what data I have in the cloud without having access to a working PS3?

4) Since Demon's Souls is copy-protected, does it even save to the cloud or am I going to have to start all over AGAIN?

5) Furthermore, what's the best way to go about getting my Demon's Souls disc out of the ****ing disc slot? (Tried the fan test, didn't work)

Thank you for any and all feedback.
---
"[The name] Dreamcast makes me think of rainbows and males kissing." - HollowPinky on Nintendo's console name change to Wii
#2GreenKnight127Posted 5/9/2013 2:11:20 PM
MaliciousMongo posted...
My original 60GB got the YLOD about 3 weeks ago and I'm getting another one within the next few days. After reading some other websites and forums about migrating my data and stuff to the new system, I wanted to get some informative feedback from some of the people on here.

Basically, I'm planning to just take out the old 250GB HDD I had in my busted PS3 and swap it in to the new one. However, what I didn't factor in was that the new system will automatically reformat the HDD when I swap it in and basically I wanted to pose some of the following questions:

1) Is there any way to get the data off of it without being able to turn my original PS3 on? Sadly, from what I've heard...no. Because if you take out the hardrive and try to put it in a new PS3...it will reformat upon turning on, essentially wiping away whatever you had on it. Best advice? Send yer PS3 to someone who can re-solder the motherboard. Might cost ya 100 bucks, but I don't know how much you NEED your save files on your current PS3. If you can do that....you should be able to turn on your PS3. Then you should get Playstation Plus, save EVERYTHING to the online server.........then just get a new PS3, deactivate your current one, activate new one.

2) How do I go about "deactivating" my old PS3? Call Sony. Or go into "Account Management" on your PS3 menu, and go down to "Activate System". Should be options to deactivate it, etc.

3) I have PS Plus atm and therefore, a bunch of my data is saved to the cloud. Is there a way thru Sony's website or something to check what data I have in the cloud without having access to a working PS3? I think so. Never tried. PS+ is the best, I am glad you got it. That will make rolling over your saves to a new PS3 very easy.

4) Since Demon's Souls is copy-protected, does it even save to the cloud or am I going to have to start all over AGAIN? Everything saves to the cloud. If your Demon's Souls save files are currently on the online storage...you are fine. Copy-protected just means you can't put them on a flash drive and take them to a friend's house and put them on his PS3. Very few games will let you do that, so I just assume you can NEVER do that with ANY game just to play safe.

5) Furthermore, what's the best way to go about getting my Demon's Souls disc out of the ****ing disc slot? (Tried the fan test, didn't work) Eeeeesh. That's the worst. Mess with it too much and it could break. If you send it so someone who can re-solder the motherboard, when they open it up, they should be able to take it out for you. Or just fixing the console will let you eject it. Check Youtube, I'm sure there are countless tutorials for getting the disc out of a dead system.

Thank you for any and all feedback.

Hope this helps.
---
Cheetah Yee-HT Skip-OT no tso-p tsum ooh sen-o eht era s11ort Tenner-ettni laer eht.
#3ZHolyMadmanPosted 5/9/2013 4:20:30 PM
MaliciousMongo posted...
1) Is there any way to get the data off of it without being able to turn my original PS3 on?

Yes. Kind of. You have to fix it first. Your fist option is to take it (or send it) somewhere that specializes in YLOD repair and pay for them to fix it or do it yourself. I did it myself using the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ59q3qGk48

Follow the video exactly and you'll get your system up and running again, at least long enough to backup/transfer your data and probably a lot longer than that. I recommend using PS+ to backup your "protected" save files (and all the others, while you're at it) and a separate USB device just for good measure, but hopefully you've been regularly backing up your save data anyway. If you opt for doing the "Data Transfer Utility", be aware that it could take 8 hours or more, depending on how much is on you HDD. Not recommended since you may YLOD again in the middle of it.

2) How do I go about "deactivating" my old PS3?

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2297

3) I have PS Plus atm and therefore, a bunch of my data is saved to the cloud. Is there a way thru Sony's website or something to check what data I have in the cloud without having access to a working PS3?

I guess my first answer could have been shorter, had I read ahead a bit. To answer this one - not that I know of.

4) Since Demon's Souls is copy-protected, does it even save to the cloud or am I going to have to start all over AGAIN?

The cloud is the ONLY way to backup copy-protected data, so if you uploaded it, it's there.

5) Furthermore, what's the best way to go about getting my Demon's Souls disc out of the ****ing disc slot? (Tried the fan test, didn't work)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/62789556

Best I can do. Good luck.
---
"When you play God of War 3, the 50 million are clearly evident on the screen. Ascension looks like a straight-to-dvd sequel by comparison."