This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the point in pre-ordering games?

#1wigsplasherPosted 5/10/2013 3:38:16 PM
I've owned my fair share of games over the years and I've NEVER had to pre-order a game. In the extremely rare occurrence where the game is sold out, I just leave the store and go to anther store. Wow, big deal. I've also gotten plenty of pre-order bonuses too without ever pre-ordering a game.

What is the point? Games never sell out nowadays anyway.
---
3D gaming is overrated
#2PhaseSlaethePosted 5/10/2013 3:39:30 PM
wigsplasher posted...
I've owned my fair share of games over the years and I've NEVER had to pre-order a game. In the extremely rare occurrence where the game is sold out, I just leave the store and go to anther store. Wow, big deal. I've also gotten plenty of pre-order bonuses too without ever pre-ordering a game.

One, you most likely only buy mainstream and AAA games.

Two, the last sentence you uttered is so hilariously wrong I want to punch myself in the eyes in disbelief.
#3NCPwnPosted 5/10/2013 3:44:09 PM
Obi-wan explains it best.
"I can give you 2 now, and 15 when we reach Alderaan."
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#4RyuuHou25Posted 5/10/2013 3:45:09 PM
wigsplasher posted...

To get limited editions or to get niche games that stores will not get in many copies of

So yeah, like the other poster already said, you probably only get mainstream AAA games and nothing else.

Plus, you probably live in a fairly large city with many stores.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#5tmons78Posted 5/10/2013 3:45:21 PM
It's layaway, and as such allows you to pay for the game over time.
#6wigsplasher(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 3:46:32 PM
wigsplasher posted...

One, you most likely only buy mainstream and AAA games.

Two, the last sentence you uttered is so hilariously wrong I want to punch myself in the eyes in disbelief.

What makes a game mainstream? The fact that I don't need to order it from Japan?

Go right ahead and punch yourself in the eyes.
---
3D gaming is overrated
#7AlltraPosted 5/10/2013 3:46:57 PM
Doesn't really seem like there's much of a point. It's mostly used as a marketing gimmick these days, but when they first started taking pre-orders it was to help make sure they produced enough copies so that everyone that wanted one got one. To an extent, it's still like that.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#8toadiemanPosted 5/10/2013 3:47:12 PM
wigsplasher posted...

I guess you never tried getting Fire Emblem Awakening the first month of release.
#9Vergil92Posted 5/10/2013 3:48:02 PM
Because I'd much rather pay for it now, get some kind of pre-order bonus and know I am 100% actually getting the game, rather than having to hold on to that money and wait all the way until it's release.

Knowing myself well enough, I'd probably forget what I was saving that money for and end up blowing it off on something stupid anyways.
---
PSN: Mr_Scott_Kennedy
#10wigsplasher(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 3:48:08 PM
It's layaway, and as such allows you to pay for the game over time.

Layaway is usually for expensive things... Not $60 games.
---
3D gaming is overrated