This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I am so conflicted on whether to buy Fuse or not.

#31656stoogePosted 5/11/2013 8:25:58 AM
Umbrella_Man99 posted...

The money you're putting into the store is likely going to help them buy more games, now or later. If I don't want to support a developer or publisher I just don't buy their product, new or used.

...wow.

So my money will go to the store (no s***), and with that money they can potentially buy more games from that publisher further down the line? Not the game I'm boycotting though, because as I explained before, I buy games I'm boycotting long after release, so the store isn't looking to buy any more copies but rather clear any remaining stock they have.

But wait, there's more!

You then go on to suggest that if you don't like a dev or publisher then you just won't buy the game. Fair enough. But I assume that you do in fact buy games from other publishers, and that you buy these games from some sort of store; whether it's online or a physical store.

Do you not think that store you purchased the game from could potentially use that money to order in a shipment of games from a publisher you don't support?
Because you seem to be damning me for giving a store money with which they could potentially order in stock from a publisher I'm boycotting, but then assume that the money you give your store when you purchase a game is not going to any companies you don't support?

I really don't understand your argument at all here. Yes, the stores I buy games from will order in shipments from EA with my money. I can't help that unless I got all my games illegally (which I don't). But if those stores can't move all the stock that they've purchased from that publisher then they're not going to order any more in.

Can't get rid of those 1,000 copies of DmC? Then they aren't going to be buying anymore copies from Capcom, are they?
---
How to treat a woman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syRQ7iShpzY
#32TheHateIsStrongPosted 5/11/2013 8:46:30 AM
Point is, if you boycott, you don't touch their product.

You don't play their games. That's the whole point of it.

It's almost like knowing that a restaurant sells dog meat, and then fishing it out of the bin when they're closed. Where's the boycott? They obviously make something you want, so buy it.

If you were truly opposed to EA, you wouldn't give them the satisfaction of playing their games. But you do, because you obviously want what they've made, yet you're "making a stand" against them.

It makes no sense.

I boycott EB Games. I don't look at their site and I don't step in their store. That's a boycott.

Now If I said "i'm boycotting EB Games" then gave someone else the money to go in and buy something for me, wouldn't you raise an eyebrow? Well that's exactly what you EA, Capcom, Ubisoft....... and whatever else you claim to hate, haters, are doing.
---
An Opinion.
Not a name. Not a face. Not a friend
#33656stoogePosted 5/11/2013 8:50:29 AM
Well then don't call it boycotting if that makes you happy. Why are you arguing with me? I don't buy EA games new. Ever. Call it what you will.
That doesn't mean that those greedy b******s don't occasionally publish a game by a brilliant dev (like Valve).

In the end it doesn't really matter what you think. I'll buy what i want to, and I'll boyc....buy used when I don't want to support something.

Hearing them cry about how much the used industry hurts them only makes me feel better.
---
How to treat a woman:
#34TheHateIsStrongPosted 5/11/2013 8:53:11 AM
Being happy at any part of the industry hurting, is not a good thing.

And we don't have to call it a boycott, as you haven't stated flatout that you are boycotting, it is worthwhile to call it a hissy fit though.

Doing what you can to hurt a publisher that publishes games that you want to play..... not what i'd call sound logic.
---
An Opinion.
#35656stoogePosted 5/11/2013 8:53:53 AM
TheHateIsStrong posted...

Now If I said "i'm boycotting EB Games" then gave someone else the money to go in and buy something for me, wouldn't you raise an eyebrow? Well that's exactly what you EA, Capcom, Ubisoft....... and whatever else you claim to hate, haters, are doing.

Oh, and that's a horrible example.

A better one would be you boycotting EB games but buying a game off your friend for $20, a game he originally bought from EB games.

You can't control what he spends that $20 on, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to give it to EB.
---
How to treat a woman:
#36Umbrella_Man99Posted 5/11/2013 8:54:19 AM
Point is, if you boycott, you don't touch their product.

You don't play their games. That's the whole point of it.

It's almost like knowing that a restaurant sells dog meat, and then fishing it out of the bin when they're closed. Where's the boycott? They obviously make something you want, so buy it.

If you were truly opposed to EA, you wouldn't give them the satisfaction of playing their games. But you do, because you obviously want what they've made, yet you're "making a stand" against them.

It makes no sense.

I boycott EB Games. I don't look at their site and I don't step in their store. That's a boycott.

This pretty much. And Stooge, I am not the people implying that buying used is boycotting or hurting them, I'm criticizing -that- logic
---
A consumer is entitled to all of the game content that was finished before release.- Actual quote justifying/vilifying DLC "Greed"
#37656stoogePosted 5/11/2013 8:55:15 AM
Being happy at any part of the industry hurting, is not a good thing.

And we don't have to call it a boycott, as you haven't stated flatout that you are boycotting, it is worthwhile to call it a hissy fit though.

Doing what you can to hurt a publisher that publishes games that you want to play..... not what i'd call sound logic.

The only one having a hissy fit here is you. You're getting upset about the spending habits of a random person in a world of 6 billion people.
---
How to treat a woman:
#38TheHateIsStrongPosted 5/11/2013 8:55:35 AM
It's a good example. Finding another way to experience EB, while maintaining the fact that I don't go there to buy games.
---
An Opinion.
#39TheHateIsStrongPosted 5/11/2013 8:57:52 AM
The only one having a hissy fit here is you. You're getting upset about the spending habits of a random person in a world of 6 billion people.

I'm not upset at all. I just find it humourous when people use the 'i buy used' against a company, just so they can play a game that the hated company has put into the market.

It's almost lunacy. When a company puts out something that I really want.... i buy it from them, because they obviously made a good game for me.
---
An Opinion.
#40656stoogePosted 5/11/2013 9:03:00 AM
It's a good example. Finding another way to experience EB, while maintaining the fact that I don't go there to buy games.

In your example, your friend is giving money to the store you boycotting. That's not what's happening with my money when I buy a used game.

When I buy Dead Space 2 used and 8 months after release, that money isn't put into a special little section in the till so that the store knows only to spend that money on EA games.

You seem to be implying that if there's any chance that my money could go to EA then I've failed? Well I could buy $10 worth of gas from a service station only to have the owner of that service station buy a copy of FUSE brand new.
I have no control over that.
But what I'm doing is trying my best to make sure that my money doesn't go to companies like EA by not buying any of their products and giving stores a reason to order more.
That's all I can do. That's all I ever claimed to do. And as DmC showed, that tactic can occasionally work.
---
How to treat a woman: