This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is my PS3 dead?

#1Syphon_Filter2Posted 5/12/2013 3:43:54 AM
It has been passed 4 years since Sony fixed it Yellow Light Of Death. 2 weeks ago, I got the yellow light appeared and than flashing red. It worked ok after 3 hours but now its crazy. Every time I tried to play a game my PS3 freezes and I have to turn it off from power switch at the back because the power button at the front won't do it. It just power up and even if I will click the sync trophy it will freeze, play games it will freeze, and when I turned it on and I got the message telling me that the system wasn't turned off properly and most do the repairing thing to get all the corrupted data. The percentage meter reaches 35 and than it turn off by its self and red light flashing. I think its yellow light problem which I think the solder balls under the CPU and GPU are melted for sure. Any idea? Thanks.
---
I73820, Corsair 16GB 1600, CoolerMaster Haf 932RC, Corsair H80, SeaGate2 TB, Asus GTX 670 2GB, TpowerX79, Dvd Sony X18
#2thefabregas22Posted 5/12/2013 4:48:13 AM
Bin it. System has no chance. Go nick a different ps3. Cause this ones dead.
---
Steam thefabregas22
Psn Admiral Classy Let's got down to the dirty!
#3PabloDuganheimPosted 5/12/2013 5:18:05 AM
I guessing you're hosed. From someone who's gone thru 2 major repairs (GPU reball and later a laser replacement w/ system solder redone and thorough cleaning) on a launch 60, this is my ballpark guess. It also helps to describe your model a bit, but don't worry about it at this point and it won't help much now to list it. Maybe not your GPU, as you would probably get strange graphics artifacts, like giant spikes coming off things or chars in the game, or nothing at all. Likely your solder has gone out somewhere else, which is very common, as Sony changed to a crappy version of it after some idiotic concerns over child safety.

If you have any important saves I would try to get them. If this isn't possible and you still really, REALLY want them you could get a reflow done, but that is usually a temp solution and there are a lot of scammers out there claiming to do good work. You could also look up the hairdryer trick, which just worked for a friend of mine long enough to transfer data- look it up on YouTube.

Consider what you want and your options, as most regular reflows are around $80 and up, but that money might be better spent on a new system. Things aren't going to get better, so prepare for shelling out for a new system, or wait just for the 4 to drop later and just walk away from your old stuff. My 60 still works, but I have a 320 slim as my main system now and I'm going for the 4 when it drops. Oh, you might be able to get a couple of bucks for even a broken system on something like Ebay, but make damn sure your HD is wiped or gone and people know what they're getting- a non-functional system. What ever happens, you have my sympathy and I wish you the best of luck!
---
I, for one, welcome our new feral ghoul overlords!
(call me PD -it's easier)
#4Syphon_Filter2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2013 10:22:45 AM
I do have slim one and also I do have lots of PS2 games there no is no way for me to leave this phat 60GB model. I just called Sony and I will send it in for repair and they will charge 145 CN. Thanks guys for any help.
---
I73820, Corsair 16GB 1600, CoolerMaster Haf 932RC, Corsair H80, SeaGate2 TB, Asus GTX 670 2GB, TpowerX79, Dvd Sony X18
#5ArkonBladePosted 5/12/2013 11:05:18 AM
yeah I was kind of in the same boat when I got my 60gb model after 6 months I just sold my PS2 thinking why would I need it any more I can just play my PS2 games on my PS3. had 2 break downs on the 60gb but both were simple fixes . first was the HDD going out so just spent $20 on a new one and back in business. second was the lens going out $40 for a new one and outside of the pain in the rear of putting that disc tray back together even with a youtube guide got about 4 years total out of it before the GPU finally went belly up.

said screw it because by that time 60gb HDD wasn't any thing close to what I needed. Just sold the 60gb version off and got $100 for it. Used part of that to just buy a PS2 for $50. The rest just went out and got a slim 160GB PS3 . Which still works perfectly to this day. only had to upgrade the HDD cause 160GB still wasn't enough. Needed a 500GB HDD.

So I would say just get a slim and if you want to play your PS2 games just go out and get a PS2 . Its not like its going to cost you much for one.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow
#6Syphon_Filter2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2013 9:35:17 PM
ArkonBlade posted...
yeah I was kind of in the same boat when I got my 60gb model after 6 months I just sold my PS2 thinking why would I need it any more I can just play my PS2 games on my PS3. had 2 break downs on the 60gb but both were simple fixes . first was the HDD going out so just spent $20 on a new one and back in business. second was the lens going out $40 for a new one and outside of the pain in the rear of putting that disc tray back together even with a youtube guide got about 4 years total out of it before the GPU finally went belly up.

said screw it because by that time 60gb HDD wasn't any thing close to what I needed. Just sold the 60gb version off and got $100 for it. Used part of that to just buy a PS2 for $50. The rest just went out and got a slim 160GB PS3 . Which still works perfectly to this day. only had to upgrade the HDD cause 160GB still wasn't enough. Needed a 500GB HDD.

So I would say just get a slim and if you want to play your PS2 games just go out and get a PS2 . Its not like its going to cost you much for one.

The problem is I don't have enough space left. I have Snes, Sega Genesis, PS3 slim, PS3 phat, DreamCast, and Gamecube. I don't want another system. I will fix it and I will add on it liquid cooling as I have started this project and just need more money and everything will be done.
---