This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Yakuza Questions

#1Scott9843Posted 5/14/2013 7:11:00 PM
I've been looking for a new series to get into so after some thought, I've settled on giving the Yakuza series a shot, so I picked up 3 today. That being said, I have a few questions.

Firstly, as I don't have a PS2, I'm jumping in at #3 which isn't exactly ideal. So is there a "Story So Far..." feature in Yakuza 3? Or something catching me up?

Next, do these games have english voice overs? I know people don't typically like them but I have minor vision problems so subtitles can be problematic for me.

Is there a lot of freedom in these games? One of my favorite aspects of Shenmue was the little things you could do like the arcade, visiting stores, etc. The pictures I saw of this game reminded me a lot of Shenmue.

And lastly, how story driven is this (these) games? I am all about a good deep story and not so much a fan of the GTA style "a good piece of story for every 7 pointless missions so we can say our game is long".

And I'd like some opinions on the game. Good or bad, what do you guys like/not like about Yakuza 3 and later installments?

Thanks for the info and insight.
---
Live/PSN: Jaques9843
#2SpawngoatPosted 5/14/2013 8:04:50 PM
There's a section that lets you watch story recaps of the previous games.

Only the first game had an english dub. The rest of the series has been Japanese with english subtitles.

The series is probably the closest you'll get to Shenmue unless the announce a sequel. There's alot of side quests and activities to pass the time like darts, pool, karaoke and the arcade.

The game is story driven with each main quest advancing the story. There's something like 60+ unrelated side quests but those are optional.

Personally I think it's an excellent series and I'm really hoping for 5 and the HD collection to be localized.
---
"Mr. Jefferson, build up that wall" Christopher Hitchens
#3Scott9843(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 9:56:56 PM
Gotcha, thanks for the info.
---
Live/PSN: Jaques9843
#4jddaman2Posted 5/14/2013 10:03:10 PM
Is Yakuza 5 announced for localization yet or does Sega still hate their fans?
---
Brofistus Maximus
#5Z2488Posted 5/14/2013 10:06:58 PM
Yakuza 3 starts out slow. Like, excessively slow. Overall it has more in common with a JRPG than the standard open world game like GTA, so just know what you're getting into when you buy. I really like the series, though the combat is still a little clunky even but very satisfying in the end.
---
i5 2500k at 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 670 - MSI Z68A-GD80 - Seasonic X 750W - GSkill 16GB - Crucial m4 128GB - NZXT Beta EVO
#6Brocken_JrPosted 5/14/2013 11:21:07 PM
jddaman2 posted...

not yet, i would just import, i beat the game after 48 hours without knowing any japanese and i did almost every side mission (some i chose not to do) the story is the best ive seen in a yakuza game even though i know im missin some things cause i cant read.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPiQSvSoSpM
Ethan Mars:"Wheres the pickles Shaaaun? ...ShaaaAAAAUNNN?! SHAAAUN! SHAAAUN! SHAAAUN! WHERES THE PICKLES?"
#7Mass_CarrierPosted 5/14/2013 11:27:22 PM
Welcome to the fold.

Assuming you make it through Y3's opening hours. That's basically the make or break moment for most newcomers.
---
Don't just post youtube links. Say what the **** they are.
http://i.imgur.com/WaN8M.png
#8agrissaPosted 5/14/2013 11:31:03 PM
jddaman2 posted...

I won't count on Y5 being localized any time soon. That game is a translator's nightmare. And there's no way they'd be able to localize the "manzai" comedy routine without things being lost in translation. Not to mention that the game's sales in the West are mediocre at best.
---
DMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DmC
#9smoky820Posted 5/14/2013 11:37:14 PM
dont expect either shenmue or gta style gameplay from yakuza

the game lets you walk around the city and thats where what it has in common with gta stops.

it has some similarities with shenmue but think of it as being watered down. yeah you can go into some stores and buy stuff and talk to people, but not on the level as in shenmue. it also isnt as necessary as in shenmue.

also while i like the yakuza games the combat controls are probably going to be what decides if you like the game or not. the controls havent really improved since the original game.
---
scientists had till Dec 31 2009 to get off their asses and create megaman. they failed us.
#10Mass_CarrierPosted 5/14/2013 11:37:17 PM
The manzai quest/game is probably the one thing they could take out without raising too much of a fuss (similar to the old trivia games).
---
Don't just post youtube links. Say what the **** they are.
http://i.imgur.com/WaN8M.png