This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How did Final Fantasy 1 save Squaresoft?

#1antoinejonesPosted 5/14/2013 10:45:55 PM
Im sure it wasnt the first console JRPG... and the game is so bland... no story at all (just a small intro at the beginning) the rest is a 20 hour dungeon crawl. I dont see how a game like this was enough to save Square when Im sure it had been done before.
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#2CuteBlueBabyBeaPosted 5/14/2013 10:46:38 PM
because it sold well.
#3antoinejones(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 10:48:49 PM
CuteBlueBabyBea posted...
because it sold well.

yeah except my question is why would that have sold well when they could of picked one of the other games just like it out there instead of something from this (then) unknown failing company?
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#4Seifer_usPosted 5/14/2013 10:54:38 PM
antoinejones posted...
because it sold well.

yeah except my question is why would that have sold well when they could of picked one of the other games just like it out there instead of something from this (then) unknown failing company?

There really wasn't anything else like it at the time, that's why. You had a few poor Dragon Quest clones, but in Japan the console RPG was just starting to take root. Before that, most of Japan was only familiar with RPGs from the US like Ultima and Wizardry on PC, and those didn't sell terribly well because basically no one in Japan had a PC.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#5SieKensouPosted 5/14/2013 10:58:53 PM
Seifer_us posted...
antoinejones posted...
because it sold well.

There really wasn't anything else like it at the time, that's why. You had a few poor Dragon Quest clones, but in Japan the console RPG was just starting to take root. Before that, most of Japan was only familiar with RPGs from the US like Ultima and Wizardry on PC, and those didn't sell terribly well because basically no one in Japan had a PC.

wasn't it US sales that saved squaresoft?
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#6TehAssasinPosted 5/14/2013 11:00:00 PM
>Sure it had been done before

>Couldn't list a single example
#7antoinejones(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 11:00:39 PM
Seifer_us posted...
antoinejones posted...
because it sold well.

you said "dragon quest clones" which means dragon quest existed.. hence "games like FFXI already existed" only difference between the two games ins the view perspective (and the fact that dragon quest had a better story)
---
#8SieKensouPosted 5/14/2013 11:02:50 PM
where did you get FF11 from?.... =.=
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#9Seifer_usPosted 5/14/2013 11:14:21 PM
antoinejones posted...
you said "dragon quest clones" which means dragon quest existed.. hence "games like FFXI already existed" only difference between the two games ins the view perspective (and the fact that dragon quest had a better story)

1. The first Dragon Quest absolutely did not have a better story than the first Final Fantasy, and I'm saying that as someone that ******* LOVES the original Dragon Quest.

2. Dragon Quest had eight spells. Final Fantasy had 64. Dragon Quest had a single character with no job classes. Final Fantasy had multiple characters and classes. Dragon Quest had no method of transport outside of walking, Final Fantasy had three, including a damn airship. Final Fantasy was unlike ANYTHING that was out at the time. It was a huge deal.

3. Have you actually played both games? The originals, not the remakes?
---
#10Seifer_usPosted 5/14/2013 11:17:46 PM
SieKensou posted...
wasn't it US sales that saved squaresoft?

Not to my knowledge. Everything at the time pointed to it being modestly successful, but generally it was still a niche series in US up until VII exploded. In Japan, they've sold millions since the beginning.
---