This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What does it mean to finish a game today?

#1bloodcoastPosted 5/15/2013 3:44:17 PM
How do you define "finishing a game"? - Results (99 votes)
Just play it at least once, doesn't matter how far you get to.
1.01% (1 votes)
Finish the main story.
69.7% (69 votes)
Finish the main story and play a bit beyond it.
4.04% (4 votes)
Finish the main story and complete a certain level of challenges/side stuff.
5.05% (5 votes)
Finish the main story and complete all challenges/side stuff in existence.
13.13% (13 votes)
Do everything and play until it feels sick.
7.07% (7 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Just a bit puzzled to what it means anymore, since there are so many people with backlogs these days.
#2vu_cometPosted 5/15/2013 3:46:59 PM
Do everything you possibly can in the game.
---
With your bad back, I don't think you should be picking up any girls.
Van Morrison is still a really cool cat. O.K.?
#3AlltraPosted 5/15/2013 3:50:38 PM
For me, Finishing a game means doing everything you can with a game content wise.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#4ISquat600lbsPosted 5/15/2013 3:53:10 PM
Finish the main story. That is the way it has always been and that is the way it will always be. The other options are just wrong, if you speak to someone and say you finished a game it means you finished the last level or the end of the story, if you did everything in it then you say you beat it 100% and did all the optional things.
---
Most of the time I'm riding bicycles and on a lot of Colombian marching powder and coffee, forgive me if I act like an #%$hole. Or not, IDC.
#5RayconPosted 5/15/2013 3:55:29 PM
For me it's always everything. All side missions, all upgrades, all extras, even trophies (except that multiplayer BS).
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#6Godly_GoofPosted 5/15/2013 3:57:39 PM
Speaking in general? Finish the main story and epilogue (if applicable) if it's just random junk then no.

My definition? Finish the main story and epilogue (If applicable) and play till I'm bored, run out of stuff to do, or something new comes out.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#7overmaxxPosted 5/15/2013 3:59:00 PM
Depends on the genre and the game itself.

Not every game has or needs an ending. It can be very hard to know what beating a game like Skyrim means when it's so open-ended and 98% of the content is optional, or downright impossible with arcade games which have no ending.
#8VarronPosted 5/15/2013 4:02:14 PM
Good topic. As most of us remember, beating a game in the olden days meant killing the final boss (or something equivalent) and conquering the final level. That concept still remains true today. Optional objectives/side quests are optional for a reason. Once the credits roll; the game is finished.
---
PSN: Snippuh
#9AlltraPosted 5/15/2013 4:04:00 PM
Older games didn't have all the extra content that current games have either. If they had, my definition would remain unchanged.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#10CyborgTwentyPosted 5/15/2013 4:08:12 PM
I play the main story and consider the game finished. I always keep playing a bit after that but most of the time that bores me to tears.