This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking back why Gamers accepted 599.99 price point?

#51ZurrurPosted 5/16/2013 9:11:01 AM
$599 was not much, xbox was alot more expensive, $400 for console, $80 wifi and $350 for online play
#52ajzootPosted 5/16/2013 9:28:41 AM
Because it had a blu ray player?

Because it had decent technology?

It's actually starting to get sad that gamers are so unwilling to spend more money for better equipment...
---
They say cooking is about experimenting, but no matter how many drugs I take it still tastes like crap...It needs more LSD, It doesn't taste loud enough yet.
#53DoomerangPosted 5/16/2013 10:23:56 AM
The 600 price point was because the guy who designed it spent (IIRC) $100 million over budget, behind the CEO's back. He had been given pretty much free reign to do what he wanted (he had created the PS1 and 2) but this obviously was an abuse of privileges. However, the damage was done, and the system ended up costing WAY more than it should have to make, hence the price point. Essentially Sony was in a lose-lose situation: Price it low, and they'd still lose money because the profits would not come near making up for the funds invested, and we know what happened with it being priced high.

Businesswise, the 600 dollar price point was the lesser of two evils from Sony's POV. It is why far more consumers were willing to buy the future, lower-cost units with no BC and such. If Sony had put the Gen-1 PS3 at, say, 300, then tried to do what they did and remove backward compatability from later units to recoup costs, they'd have to reduce the price even more and make even more of a loss.
---
Kenshin's the Beauty, Kaoru's the Beast? - Mister_Feeny
Would that make Shishioh the candle guy? - Gettles
#54FayeLadyPosted 5/16/2013 11:07:15 AM
Most gamers did not. Are you all forgetting the Wii60 slogan?
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#55yaratnamPosted 5/16/2013 5:02:54 PM
599 was very reasonable, looking back. Especially since every other Blu-ray player cost almost twice that. 599 for a combination PS1/PS2/PS3/video player/Blu-ray player wasn't bad if you thought of it that way.

Notice how when the price of Blu-ray players fell down, is when the PS3's price fell down as well (along with them taking out certain features)
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/AstronAstroll?feature=mhee
My YT channel. Not much on it. :V
#56Video_Game_CzarPosted 5/16/2013 5:13:17 PM
People bought the PS3 when it was released for the same reason people buy anything that is over priced - To impress people. That kids that bought a PSP over a DS because it cost more and if it costs more it means it's better!

...But those stupid enough to buy a PS3 at launch did a good bit of time trolling 360 owners - [Who had great games to play] and waiting...and waiting...and more waiting...But hey, They had the costliest system on the market! That means something to people with self esteem problems.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l XBL: VideoGameCzar l Steam: TheVideoGameCzar
#57yaratnamPosted 5/16/2013 5:15:56 PM
Video_Game_Czar posted...
People bought the PS3 when it was released for the same reason people buy anything that is over priced - To impress people. That kids that bought a PSP over a DS because it cost more and if it costs more it means it's better!

...But those stupid enough to buy a PS3 at launch did a good bit of time trolling 360 owners - [Who had great games to play] and waiting...and waiting...and more waiting...But hey, They had the costliest system on the market! That means something to people with self esteem problems.

The funny thing is, the one thing that the DS had over the PSP was the fact that it had Nintnedo games.

Otherwise, most Nintendo and Microsoft fans actually spent their time trolling Sony fans, and not the other way around. I can't count how many times I heard "PSP sucks! DS has more games!" when in actuality, they both had about the same amount of games. PSP and DS had their share of ports as well, although DS fans wouldn't admit this.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/AstronAstroll?feature=mhee
My YT channel. Not much on it. :V
#58J-FlyPosted 5/16/2013 5:36:20 PM
When you make the statement "next gen doesn't start until we say it starts" then you might as well sell your console for 600 big ones.
---
---
PSN: J-Fly
#59kcypher2000Posted 5/16/2013 9:23:00 PM
Its about DEMAND. Some people are able and willing to pay for it at that price. More people would of course buy it if it sold for less. I bought it at launch since I thought Sony could do no wrong after the PS1 and PS2 and my ps3 has collected dust ever since.
#60theshovellerPosted 5/16/2013 9:28:09 PM
Video_Game_Czar posted...

I actually had both the day they came out, respectively. And bought a Wii the same year they came out (it wasn't until Metroid Prime 3 was out, though.)

Not everyone who buys a console on day one is doing it because "my ego is bigger than your ego." Some of us are these things we like to call "gamers." We play games. Upgrading gaming hardware is one aspect of it to some of us.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!