This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First Fairy Fencer F Screenshots

#101Board_hunter567Posted 5/16/2013 11:43:30 PM(edited)
RyuuHou25 posted...
MwarriorHiei posted...
Wouldn't Sora and child Link be considered jailbait?

no because they are male

*head desk* Yeah, hey, if we can't possibly be sexually attracted to them, they don't count. This is our screwy logic and we're sticking to it.

Jailbait isn't even the right term to use here because it's impossible to mistake those characters as adults.
When you have a character with a childlike appearance taking a bath accompanied by suggestive dialog, well, there's very few ways you can look at that scenario. I personally wouldn't use the word "cute" to describe it anyway. I'd use creepy.
#102RyuuHou25Posted 5/16/2013 11:32:13 PM
"At least you admitted to the fan service part. But one thing I like to point out is that not anime or anime games resort to these fan service. Certainly the ones I know off and had listed as examples in earlier posts. Having small dose of fan service is acceptable, but to capture the market of RPG from outside of Japan, it may not very well be a good strategy to roll with having relatively large amount of such content."

Every single anime and anime game I've ever played, seen, or watched, at some point or another, has fan service. Could be fairly small, quick, subtle, whatever, it's there. It's ~always~ there. Small doses or not does not negate it being there.

Yes, well, by this logic, western game makers should start catering to the Japanese if they want their games to do good there......don't see that ever happening. So maybe, either, realize the games are aimed at a specific market and deal with it, or just don't play it?
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#103RyuuHou25Posted 5/16/2013 11:33:17 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
MwarriorHiei posted...
Wouldn't Sora and child Link be considered jailbait?

no because they are male

*head desk* Yeah, hey, if we can't possibly be sexually attracted to them, they don't count. This is our screwy logic and we're sticking to it.

Jailbait isn't even the right term to use here because it's impossible to mistake those characters as adults.
When you have a character with a childlike appearance taking a bath accompanied by suggestive dialog, well, there's very few ways you can look at that scenario.

......do you even know what jailbait means?
---
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#104Board_hunter567Posted 5/16/2013 11:51:54 PM(edited)
Yes, it describes a person under the legal age of consent who has the appearance of a fully mature adult.
I suppose it can also describe an underage person who is either sexually attractive to somebody or tempts somebody into sexual activity but the previous definition is better since this would just be borderline pedophilia.

I'd also just like to say that I don't mind fan service all that much since it's existed for a very long time. I do mind it when it's in excessive quantities though, and lately it seems to be increasing exponentially.
#105TehAssasinPosted 5/16/2013 11:45:55 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
"At least you admitted to the fan service part. But one thing I like to point out is that not anime or anime games resort to these fan service. Certainly the ones I know off and had listed as examples in earlier posts. Having small dose of fan service is acceptable, but to capture the market of RPG from outside of Japan, it may not very well be a good strategy to roll with having relatively large amount of such content."

Every single anime and anime game I've ever played, seen, or watched, at some point or another, has fan service. Could be fairly small, quick, subtle, whatever, it's there. It's ~always~ there. Small doses or not does not negate it being there.

Yes, well, by this logic, western game makers should start catering to the Japanese if they want their games to do good there......don't see that ever happening. So maybe, either, realize the games are aimed at a specific market and deal with it, or just don't play it?

I won't argue with your first paragraph, there's always fan service in different form for anime/ anime games. But the idea is that having abundance of them simply don't equate to them being well-accepted in public especially people who aren't used to the Japanese culture, i.e. numerous others outside of Japan.

I'm not sure about the exact figures, but it's the Japan -> Western transition we are talking about. And I'm sure there're many JRPG fans out there who grew up playing RPG since the SNES days, rarely coming across obscure titles like NDN or Record of Agarest War, like to get their hands on what they've used to see/play, which is the very reason for my first reply in this thread.
#106RyuuHou25Posted 5/16/2013 11:52:45 PM
TehAssasin posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

I won't argue with your first paragraph, there's always fan service in different form for anime/ anime games. But the idea is that having abundance of them simply don't equate to them being well-accepted in public especially people who aren't used to the Japanese culture, i.e. numerous others outside of Japan.

I'm not sure about the exact figures, but it's the Japan -> Western transition we are talking about. And I'm sure there're many JRPG fans out there who grew up playing RPG since the SNES days, rarely coming across obscure titles like NDN or Record of Agarest War, like to get their hands on what they've used to see/play, which is the very reason for my first reply in this thread.

I've played RPGs since the NES days and much of what I play is obscure or niche titles because I actually like Japanese titles that don't conform or try to cater to the west in general. I'm also not the only one. Hence what I said.

Japan should not have to cater to the west when the west doesn't cater to Japan, that's kind of the point I was making. They're quite clearly not trying to capture huge markets outside of Japan.
---
#107NilakanthaPosted 5/16/2013 11:55:31 PM
I for one don't have a problem with the age of the characters, but more so the art style and the fact that I own hundreds of JRPGs and several other types of genres as I only own Japanese games. The problem is, when I see these PS3 JRPGs, I feel like I am seeing the same generic art over and over again. It feels like I already played this game on my PS1 and PS2 as the characters almost look identical to all of their older titles. I own every Atelier game and frankly, I am tired of shelling out 9,870 yen for a yearly release of a game that is slightly different than its last title. I skipped out on must of the JRPGs this then because it feels like the creativity is lacking in the art department and character developments. I mean why do all of the female characters in these games act exactly the same and I know I can't judge this game, but I know the girls are going to act super cutsy.

Which is why I'm glad a game like Drag-On Dragoon 3 is coming out as the characters and art style is a change of pace from such games like this.
#108yahya_no_1Posted 5/16/2013 11:56:58 PM
generic game going after what sells in japn, sorry I don't like under age girls, you got the right fans for this kind of game here though, creep and have not seen a real female on like never.

Seriously no one tell me this is art, or I will slap him silly, take your art to your creepy bedroom and keep it there
---
PSN:yahyano1
#109RyuuHou25Posted 5/16/2013 11:59:51 PM
yahya_no_1 posted...
generic game going after what sells in japn, sorry I don't like under age girls, you got the right fans for this kind of game here though, creep and have not seen a real female on like never.

Seriously no one tell me this is art, or I will slap him silly, take your art to your creepy bedroom and keep it there

It's art
---
#110TehAssasinPosted 5/17/2013 12:05:05 AM
RyuuHou25 posted...
TehAssasin posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

I've played RPGs since the NES days and much of what I play is obscure or niche titles because I actually like Japanese titles that don't conform or try to cater to the west in general. I'm also not the only one. Hence what I said.

Japan should not have to cater to the west when the west doesn't cater to Japan, that's kind of the point I was making. They're quite clearly not trying to capture huge markets outside of Japan.

Well then, good for you. I guess many others including myself wouldn't be seeing ourselves playing Compile Hearts productions anytime soon. It's unfortunate though, because they are one of the few active developers who make and release JRPG titles for PS3 outside of Japan.