This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't get this whole paid off thing.

#1knightoffire55Posted 5/16/2013 4:41:22 PM
I mean it's not like Superman 64 would get 9's or 10's if the company threw enough money at reviewers
---
Enough is enough I have had it with these motherf****ing vampires in this motherf****ing rain.
#2jubjub_28Posted 5/16/2013 4:44:16 PM
pretty sure that has never happened...
---
I played and loved every second of METAL GEAR SOLID 4.
Problem?
#3MyEvilTwin7Posted 5/16/2013 4:48:33 PM
It's not really being "paid off" in a simple sense.

"If you give our game an 8.5 or higher, you can put your review up 4 days earlier".

The quicker your review goes live the more traffic you will get which generates a lot more ad revenue. If you give a company's games bad reviews then they will be less likely to give you exclusive news etc.
---
Do not go here : http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/233-star-trek?action=addfav
#4NCPwnPosted 5/16/2013 5:06:40 PM
I never watch reviews for the score, only for the screenshots/gameplay and understanding some basic info about the game.

If I went by score, I"d never have purchased Nier (the best game ever) see sig.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#5Godly_GoofPosted 5/16/2013 5:13:05 PM
Because some people buy games based solely on a games score. They pay them off in an effort to raise potential sales of said games.
It also affects HOW they grade them, some games get docked way less for simple things than others do.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#6KenauePosted 5/16/2013 5:15:31 PM
The only time I know for certain some money exchanged hands was for the Kane and Lynch game back in what, 07? where the guy gave it an honest review, and got fired because IO Interactive was massively supporting GS with ads and threatened to pull them all over that one review (Lesson should have been learned: Make a better game, get a better review.)
---
Most Excited For: SMT IV (3DS), ToX (CE, PS3), Pikmin 3 (Wii U), Fuse (PS3), Pokemon Y (3DS), Dragon's Crown (Vita).
PSN: Lord_CBH / Nintendo Network: LordCBH
#7Video_Game_CzarPosted 5/16/2013 5:25:45 PM
Topic of "paid reviews"

It's not that simple...Be nice it was...But theres far more to the whole "paid review" then just someone signing over a check - It's a whole host of things.

Preview copies

Interviews

Free copies/Early review copies

Ad revenue

VIP events

As for Superman 64...It's superman...I don't understand why the game is ever brought up? Who had high expectations for it? No one, It was made by some no name team..so why people even talk about it beyond me. It was a quick cash in...As if people haven't ever seen that before.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l XBL: VideoGameCzar l Steam: TheVideoGameCzar
#8DevilTears604Posted 5/16/2013 5:31:50 PM
I know GameInformer doesn't do the whole "paid off" thing. When Resident Evil 6 came out, Tim Turi, GI's resident survival horror expert and RE enthusiast, reviewed the game and gave it a 9 I think. Then everyone else in the office just ravaged RE6, just nonstop busting on how awful it is.

I think reviews are just one person's opinion of a game, no more and no less.
---
Gamers are too reactionary. Games are like fine wine, they must linger for us to get their true taste. There are plenty of examples.