This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Better story-based game series: MGS or Yakuza?

#1wubikroPosted 5/17/2013 9:38:38 PM
Between these two heavily story-based game series, which one do you think is better?
#2Video_Game_CzarPosted 5/17/2013 9:40:39 PM
Yakuza hands down.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l XBL: VideoGameCzar l Steam: TheVideoGameCzar
#3digitalwill2000Posted 5/17/2013 9:40:42 PM
I always make a point of story and narrative being seperate things to judge.

But in this case I just find it a matter of taste. I've only played a bit of Yakuza 3 and I liked the idea of the guy working at an orphanage, but the gameplay was too stale to me.

I go with MGS hands down, but the Big Boss narrative is just getting dumb. So Solid Snake and Otacon's fathers were best mates? ****ing really Hideo?
---
Internet Troll = Someone who attempts to aggravate online.
GameFaqs Troll = Anyone with an opinion...
#4ajzootPosted 5/18/2013 1:21:39 AM
You know this is actually tough.

My gut reaction was obviously metal gear solid. But you know the truth is it goes well past being complicated... or even heavy handed.... It gets abnormally thick and heavy to a fault.... But I mean some of these characters are just nuts. The ultra humanitarian AI killing machine dog? Insanity... And the way it's bridged science fiction, into modern science, into modern war philosophy is also so crazy, and it's just noteworthy media that would stand tall as a novel, forget being better crafted than most movies and all television.

But yakuza was touching in it's own way. Less ambitious, but it achieves everything it sets out to and does it stylishly and with ease.... Metal gear solid... Less so.
---
They say cooking is about experimenting, but no matter how many drugs I take it still tastes like crap...It needs more LSD, It doesn't taste loud enough yet.
#5TheCapPosted 5/18/2013 1:45:50 AM
Yakuza because the stories are self-contained. MGS requires you to play all of the entries to fully understand it. Also it's too convoluted.
---
I'm so cool, hmn hmn hmn hmn ha ha ha ha ha
I'm Legendary with Strength of Inferno, Mind of Lightning, and Speed of Tempest
#6JahkeemyorkPosted 5/18/2013 1:59:13 AM
Yakuza definitely it has an amazing mix of both Character crisis with business crisis. They go hand in hand and it works perfectly because of that.
#7Thor61Posted 5/18/2013 2:08:56 AM
Yakuza. MGS stories are just kinda out there with cardboard characters and questionable writing
#8Devilman_AmonPosted 5/18/2013 2:15:48 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9stawg007Posted 5/18/2013 2:56:45 AM
MGS easily
---
lPayneToTheMaxl
#10AjescentPosted 5/18/2013 3:42:57 AM
Yakuza stories are easier to understand
---
I survived the Apocalyps3 and the Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.
If my spelling or grammar sucks, it's the fault of my Vita Touchscreen.