This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Forcing you to play a game in first person makes no sense

#1Devilman_AmonPosted 5/18/2013 12:33:11 AM(edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSj1I7UDPYo

Look at this game

Siren Blood Curse

I was playing a bit of it today.

Anyways, the game allows you (key work alllowwwwws) to choose whether to play the game in 3rd person or in first.

BUT..unlike Fallout 3 or that one unlockable level in CoD MW2 MP, the game is designed first and foremost as a third person game; meaning, the movement mechanics then obviously make sense.

Your upper body is no longer "on a swivel" with your feet doing Michael Jackson moves independently from your upper body when you walk .

Now I get it: "blah blah blah bubbublablah blah me want me pew pew game to be in first person during multiplayer blah blah immersion blah blah "unfair advantage with the 3rd person viewpoint blaaaargh derp"

Fine. Then allow the option to lock a set view point overall in the lobbyroom in MP then. K? Problem solved ya "I only buy mah pew pew games for da MP anyway" nerds.

This way, during single player:

The animation would now be designed better without the awkwardness or laziness of developers just "making object float" to pick up ****

The games narrative would make more sense then the stupid design of a mute character that doesn't respond back to anyone talking to them (Ramirez! Do everything!)

Platforming and cover would now makes sense

There wouldn't be awkward story scenes situations where you flip in and out from 1st person to third person (hello Deus Ex HR)

And since now you would see the emotion of the character you're playing as instead of standing there all derp like in a Japanese visual novel....

I get where first person would be cool (for instance, driving, sniping, picking up and reading words on an object), but the better design would be to allow you to switch between 3rd and 1st person without the awkward body mechanics issue.
Therefore design the game in 3rd personm but allow you to switch to 1st whenever.
But forcing you to stay in first just hinders game design freedom.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#2KillingHarderPosted 5/18/2013 12:37:04 AM
So.... What about it doesn't make sense? If someone makes the game and they want you to experience it from a first person perspective then that's their choice. Don't like it? Make your own game or don't play first person games.
#3dankanefanPosted 5/18/2013 12:37:31 AM
I agree. I hate First Person. It's so horribly done most of the time.
---
Sac City Gamer - http://www.saccitygamer.wordpress.com
@SacCityGamer ~ www.facebook.com/SacCityGamer
#4RyuuHou25Posted 5/18/2013 12:40:44 AM
All I read was you complaining about not seeing your character and objects floating to pick them up.

Everything else is extremely subjective and a rather paltry opinion really. Platforming and cover only makes sense when you can see your character? Seeing the back of the head of your character constantly somehow allows them to show more emotion?

How are story scenes awkward when you see the person you're playing as?
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#5Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2013 12:46:16 AM
KillingHarder posted...
So.... What about it doesn't make sense? If someone makes the game and they want you to experience it from a first person perspective then that's their choice. Don't like it? Make your own game or don't play first person games.

Its stupid. It's just as stupid as locking a racing game in first person only. How come racing games don't do that? Why do they allow you the option?
Why take away the option? Whats next? You want all fighting games to not have a block or jump function? Or to be locked in first person too?

it really only made sense in the beginning on PC's because of keyboard & mouse and because it was easier to track and keep a steady reticle while limiting the animation to just showing the head of the gun on earlier mid 90's PC's.

Thats why when the FPS came to consoles, all the PC elitists scoffed at the notion on playing one without a keyboard n mouse.

When in reality, developers should have moved on and evolved for the console games by incorporating the ability to have both viewpoint options at anytime to incorporate better body mechanics
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#6Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2013 1:00:08 AM(edited)
RyuuHou25 posted...
All I read was you complaining about not seeing your character and objects floating to pick them up.

No I talked about awkward body mechanics and how forcing the design to be first person now limits gameplay options such as proper platforming with ample field of view.
In first person games, the reason the body mechanics are so derpy is because the camera is situated on the chest of the character you're controlling but cannot see. This is why there is that "floaty" feeling when you walk and why the movement of characters in Fallout 3 or Skyrim/Oblivion (or when you mod Dead Island or Mirror's Edge to play in 3rd person) looks so goofy.

It basically acts as a steady cam (you know those contraptions movie directors use to harness a camera on their chests)

Everything else is extremely subjective and a rather paltry opinion really. Platforming and cover only makes sense when you can see your character? Seeing the back of the head of your character constantly somehow allows them to show more emotion?

How are story scenes awkward when you see the person you're playing as?

Back of the head? Who said anything about back of the head. It's called seamless cut scenes..through proper moving camera. In first person, you're either a mute character usually, or if you're talking, the player would never see how the character is reacting to a situation; only hear them.
Unless like I said, its done like Deus Ex, which was just weird imo.

I appreciated the fact that the main characters in Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry t 3/ Blood Dragon actually talk, but I never feel like I'm that character; that it is me playing the game like the director is somewhat trying to force you to feel.
Its fake. I know it's not me and I do not therefore feel like I'm in the game. It's a stupid notion.

Like I said, it makes sense for sniping (since you're aiming down the sights and usually in a stationary position.

But most if not all of these games (especially shooting games which are mostly designed in the West) this gen are shooting for a cinematic approach; so by locking it in first person but still trying to emulate a Hollywood approach just makes it feel....dumb.
If you're gonna go that route, I wanna see the character Im playing as, and I want the option to go to either viewpoint whenever I feel the game should warrant it.

Options are good.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#7Ghetto_ninjaPosted 5/18/2013 1:19:42 AM
I don't really understand what you're getting at. What you're saying is nonsense really. Take Dead Island for instance. There is no reason for the game to be third person. Same can be said for DOOM and many other FPS games.
---
PSN ID: Psychonik
JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON!!!
#8Kage_AM2Posted 5/18/2013 1:25:18 AM
I don't like how you have to shake the controller when you fall down. At least that's what it looks like from the video.
#9Evil_GogetaPosted 5/18/2013 1:25:33 AM
Yeah it was unneeded in that game, but then again...that game was unneeded! Worst Siren, took that away from 2!
---
PSN: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
(PC) Monster Hunter Frontier and Guns of Icarus Online.
#10Ghetto_ninjaPosted 5/18/2013 1:31:34 AM
I mean you even say it yourself that Dead Island looks goofy in third person. Not to mention it completely destroys the gameplay mechanics that make it unique. How the hell you going to do the head stomp in third person? You obviously have some biased opinion that FPS games suck because you never mention why third person games like uncharted allow to play in first person. If you don't like FPS games don't play them there are more than enough third person shooters out there.
---
PSN ID: Psychonik
JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON!!!