This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Hardcore Console Gamers Don't Want Much, Just the Impossible"

#1EspicaGFPosted 5/24/2013 11:31:27 AM
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-gaming
#2DevilTears604Posted 5/24/2013 11:42:24 AM
This guy's pretty much said everything that I think. I think he's completely spot-on.

I'm a Playstation guy, and I'll have the PS4 at some point. But Microsoft's plan will probably work out better in the long haul.
---
Gamers are too reactionary. Games are like fine wine, they must linger for us to get their true taste. There are plenty of examples.
#3CronoDynePosted 5/24/2013 11:49:55 AM
The problem with the article is simple: "hardcore." It's not the "hardcore" console gamers that don't care for this. It's the average everyday gamer. Microsoft is appealing to the non gamer, a group Nintendo has already squandered last gen and is currently suffering for it this gen. Why would the non gamer want to buy an Xbox One for television when they already have multiple devices and video game systems that have the feature already? We get it: multimedia. It's been shoved down our throats for the past 6 years. All our systems already have multimedia. Now we want games. Is that a crazy concept? A video game console that focuses on video games?

It's funny the writer conveniently leaves out the biggest issue of all; preowned paywalls.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#4RayconPosted 5/24/2013 11:54:33 AM
Am I misreading that, or is that writer praising the 360 for being a multimedia machine... but failing to recognize that the PS3 is the same thing? Sony is just as much in the "all-in-one" media device business.
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#5NeoGrayFAQPosted 5/24/2013 12:00:15 PM
CronoDyne posted...
The problem with the article is simple: "hardcore." It's not the "hardcore" console gamers that don't care for this. It's the average everyday gamer. Microsoft is appealing to the non gamer, a group Nintendo has already squandered last gen and is currently suffering for it this gen. Why would the non gamer want to buy an Xbox One for television when they already have multiple devices and video game systems that have the feature already? We get it: multimedia. It's been shoved down our throats for the past 6 years. All our systems already have multimedia. Now we want games. Is that a crazy concept? A video game console that focuses on video games?

It's funny the writer conveniently leaves out the biggest issue of all; preowned paywalls.

Raycon posted...
Am I misreading that, or is that writer praising the 360 for being a multimedia machine... but failing to recognize that the PS3 is the same thing? Sony is just as much in the "all-in-one" media device business.

---
http://www.backloggery.com/neograyfox
#6theshovellerPosted 5/24/2013 12:00:58 PM
I want a console that does multimedia things - I'll say it. However, I want its primary focus - the "big draw," the "main event," the "primary function" of this console to be playing games. Can it play movies, too? Cool. Can it watch Netflix? Awesome. Can I access my On Demand crap through Comcast on it? Neato. All that stuff? Secondary to me - I have a video game console to play video games.

I think that's the point everyone's trying to get at, and the Xbox presentation they had a few days ago painted the Xbox as a media center first, video game console second. That was the general consensus from everything I had seen - and my own impression from reading a liveblog during the event (as streaming video is typically a no-no here at work.) Hell, even Halo - probably the single biggest IP Microsoft owns - had nothing more than a few lines said about how it's "not just a game anymore," and they're making a TV show about it. People like me - people who play games - we probably like that idea, that concept, but WE WANT TO PLAY HALO 5. Just saying "Hey, Halo 5 is coming, not a launch title, but it'll be on this system!" would at least be nodding your head to the people who made Halo as big as it was in the first place - gamers.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#7kingofall214Posted 5/24/2013 12:01:00 PM
Well first of all yeah Sony spent a lot of money in 2012 but didn't get nearly as much in return. I wonder why. It might have something to do with R&D costs for the PS4 that, You know, isn't making money since it isn't released. But what do I know.

As far as Xbox wanting to branch out to attract new customers, that is fine and a sound business strategy. However what is not sound is Microsoft sacrificing certain game elements for others.

If you new xbox can switch between skype and my game I say cool. What is not cool is forcing me to always be online to use services that don't require the internet.

This is the problem with the xbox one. They give you a ton of features that you can't opt out of. Do you not feel comfortable about having the kinnect always on in your living room? Wish you could just put it in a box and never use it? To bad. Even though using the kinnect is so far 100% not necessary having it plugged in is.

Just want to play your single player game without internet? To bad. You need to have internet in order for half of xbox's services to work. Even if you don't want to use said services you don't have a choice.

Choice. It's something consumers like and Xbox one is taking away. That is all I would want from Xbox one. I don't think that is impossible.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#8theshovellerPosted 5/24/2013 12:03:26 PM
kingofall214 posted...
Do you not feel comfortable about having the kinnect always on in your living room? Wish you could just put it in a box and never use it? To bad. Even though using the kinnect is so far 100% not necessary having it plugged in is.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/05/24
---
#9TheHateIsStrongPosted 5/24/2013 12:13:27 PM
*ding*

"it looks like you're trying to please a lady. Would you like help with that"

*blinks*
---
"There is a special place in hell for people who do things like this. Right next to the child molesters and the sexy children who seduce them."-Klaus
#10theshovellerPosted 5/24/2013 12:15:16 PM
TheHateIsStrong posted...
*ding*

"it looks like you're trying to please a lady. Would you like help with that"

*blinks*

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/06/05
---