This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Final Fantasy Fans...

#11Persephone42Posted 6/9/2013 12:47:18 AM
FooFighters25 posted...
I'm looking at getting into the older titles for the SNES, so I would like to know which titles are worth looking into, and if they are reasonably priced online. Also, if there is a better version of the game available on another console, that'd be nice to know as well. Wouldn't do me much good playing a game that hasn't aged very well.

As Taran mentioned, this is an awesome Final Fantasy SNES that's *still* an incredibly fun game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_Mana
And this one is technically not FF-related but one of the best SNES games and put out by same [Final Fantasy] company back when it was Squaresoft .. recommend both 1000%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_Evermore

IMO both have aged very well.

Another wonderful SNES adventure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_Zelda_a_Link_to_the_Past

Happy hunting!
#12Sputnick99Posted 6/9/2013 12:54:20 AM
FF X / X2 is pretty good. It was the last great FF game before they started to suck.
#13DragoonGriffithPosted 6/9/2013 1:20:54 AM
656stooge posted...
digitalwill2000 posted...
Muv-Luv posted...
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection for PSP.

what a pathetic telease. They released a 3d version...then released THIS. A testament to the laziness and ineptness of square enix

The PSP version looks a thousand times better.

PSP:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/media/final-fantasy-iv/intro/psp_damn.png

DS:

http://faceplantreview.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/ff4-red-wings.jpg

I love sprites just as much as the next guy, but the DS version is the better game IMO.
Better challenge and there's at least some customization to be had with the augments.
#14Persephone42Posted 6/9/2013 1:50:02 AM
Sputnick99 posted...
FF X / X2 is pretty good. It was the last great FF game before they started to suck.

I'm currently playing FFX for the first time, and I can't get over how incredibly cool this game is! (I bought both FFX and FF-2 years ago but 'lost' them in my moving & relocating, and never got around to playing them until I found both games by accident early this year.)

Now I wish I hadn't watched 'cutscene movies' or listened to so many YouTube critics doing 'reviews' of these two games. I thought I had spoiled it, but was thrilled to learn I hadn't ruined the experience at all. Now I understand why so many are charmed by these two; FFX is so multifaceted, and can be approached from sooo many different challenging directions.

While I haven't played *every* FF yet, so far it's my fave.

If you decide to try it, I heartily recommend the FFX message board and FAQ page here. Fun and lots of cool, intelligent, talented, and hilarious people there, and a great source of data and fellowship.

Since I joined a few months ago, FFX is always high on the "Top Ten Games for PS2" list and "Top Ten Message Boards (for PS2 Games)" list :D
#15Power TurtlePosted 6/9/2013 3:01:54 AM(edited)
Skip FF1 and FF2 unless you want the satisfaction of completion.

FF3 can be bought off of PSN for PSP/Vita(and also be gotten for DS)
Im pretty sure these are the best versions you will find.

FF4 can be bought on PSN for PSP/Vita(and also for DS, Wii also I THINK)
These are called FF4 "The Complete Collection" and it si the best verion you can find of this game.

FF5 can be bought off PSN and its the ps1 classic.
I suppose the 'best version' would be the GBA one. Its one of my less liked FFs so meh.

FF6 can be bought off PSN, its the ps1 classic. and one of the best!
Many people will say dont bother with the ps1 classic and get the GBA version.
As a person who has played both, i say the differences arent even noticeable!
I had to read about what the differences were to finally realize what was different.

FF7 can be got off PSN and thats pretty much the only version.
FF7 Crisis Core is worth a mention! Its a ver good game and can be gotten for PSP.
If you like FF7 then damn sure get FF7CC, watch the movie(and LOL)
and maybe even get FF7 Dirge of Cerberus... its.. okay.

FF8 from PSN and its the only version.
FF9 from PSN and its the only version.
FF10 will have an HD collection released HOPEFULLY soon for PS3/Vita. Get that!
FF10-2 is worth a play if you liked FFX. Story sucks for half the game, music sucks too...
But the combat is IMO the best turnbased ATB of any game ever and the latter half of the game is amazing.

FF12 is a major change in the FF series. PS2 version is only version pretty much.
It has a really different battle system and feels more like an mmo. many people shun this game for that.
IMO the combat is very addicting, story is very good, and it has SO MUCH TO EXPLORE.
Music is also epic but its main downside is the characters are hard to like..

Final Fantasy Tactics is a must buy if you like stratedgy type rpgs.
no real explanation needed.. if you like FF and you like stratedgy.. FFT. MUST. GET.
FFTA and FFTA2 are worth looking into if you reallllly like FFT.. but meh.. :|
PS, get the PSP version of FFT IF YOU HAVE A PSP OR VITA!

I take it you have at least played FF13 since you said you were looking into 'the older ones' or whatever. so i wont bother to talk much about that. But i loved ff13, hated 13-2 and 13.3... ugh.. But of the older final fantasies.. i highly recommend FF4CC, FF6, FF7, CCFF7, FF8, FF9, FFX, FFX-2, FF12, and FFT All amazing games in their own rights.

---
Freedom from the tyranny of Faith
May The Father of Understanding guide you to success.
#16pennywise666Posted 6/14/2013 12:52:47 AM
digitalwill2000 posted...
Muv-Luv posted...
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection for PSP.

what a pathetic telease. They released a 3d version...then released THIS. A testament to the laziness and ineptness of square enix

Without mentioning they removed Amano's art...blasphemy...
FF6 (3 on the snes) is the king of final fantasy...
---
Not removing this sig till Quebec City get a NHL team!
Does anybody knows who's sleeping with whom around here?
#17zamaterasuPosted 6/14/2013 12:57:35 AM
I'm with the guy who suggested chrono trigger. I got into FF at an early age....played through 1, 3 (DS version), 4 complete collection (and after years), 7, 8 and 9. then chrono trigger....and out of everything ive played so far, chrono trigger was by far my favorite.
If it has to be FF, go for 4, 6, or 7. Haven't played 6 but most of my friends love it. Cheers mate.
#18Alky88Posted 6/14/2013 1:02:26 AM
FFI,II and II are very basic experiences. Surely they aren't the best however you can find their best versions on PSP.
FFIV: Complete Collection for PSP is amazing, you get the original game+ the sequel+ a new episode to link the two. It looks even better on the Vita screen if you have that.
FFV and VI are both on PSN but the Playstation ports suck. These are great games but sadly the best versions are on GBA (FFV was recently ported on iOS, the graphic style is quite bad imo but it has all the content of the GBA version).
---
"Official Jill Valentine of the MvC3 boards!"
#19evoxpiscesPosted 6/14/2013 8:48:35 AM
FF4, 5, 6, Chrono Trigger

Start with those.
---
3DS FC: 3609-1124-3955
#20majin nemesisPosted 6/14/2013 8:54:16 AM
Alky88 posted...
FFV and VI are both on PSN but the Playstation ports suck.

why?
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage