This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who is the worst protagonist/main character of this gen?

#171PabloDuganheimPosted 6/13/2013 6:18:56 PM(edited)
RelentlessEcho7 posted...
PabloDuganheim posted...
For a game I had a lot of fun messing around in, I would have to say Jason Brody of Far Cry 3 was one of the bigger toolbags I've played recently. Some idiot pushing 40 that acts like some 18 y/o Mountain Dew commercial reject who suddenly stumbles into a culture he has zero clue about and didn't even seem to have respect for and he's suddenly the savior of the day? Give me a break. And his rallying speeches of greatness, seriously? Oh, and then the choices at the end. Wow, great choices there. Oh well, still a fun game, but Jason deserved every bit of the slap downs he got in that game. Whoever wrote that character and that story, please don't let them write anything like that again!

This, so much this. I couldn't take the game seriously because of Jason and his merry band of ignorant douchelets.

HA! Glad to see a few others like yourself seeing this. *Possible Minor Spoilers for some* ...I'm sure you probably played the optional club scene (if not, interact with something when they are in that boat cave). Having been abroad a few times, the first rule is not to go into places like that club and start problems with locals. They became the Ugliest of Ugly Americans and I thought their local buddy who helped them in the club was going to be a deadman in a later scene that never happened. At least in Blood Dragon the protag was written to just be a colossal idiot with a sense of cheesy humor. FC3- too much pointy headed Brodys and not enough Vaas.

Honorable mentions also included Jack 'Work ya damn nag!' Marston. I was happy I completed all the optional stuff by the time I played that fool. Even zombie John Marston could grunt out a much more winning personality than Jack ever could hope to have. Cole Phelps of L.A. Snore...well, that was just a let down game I just didn't end up liking and the writing to make him some tough talking gumshoe was just pathetic. Cole became nothing more than a bland and incredibly lame hat rack for coolish hats. Oh, you twitched and blinked under weak questioning = YOU'RE GUILTY!!! Case closed!
---
I, for one, welcome our new feral ghoul overlords!
(call me PD -it's easier)
#172EricCraptonPosted 6/13/2013 6:27:50 PM
boxington posted...
Raiden from MGR.

I liked him in MGS2, but MGS4 & MGR ruined his character, IMO.

This. Raiden was an interesting character in 2, but was turned into a generic anime stereotype in 4. I will never stop hating what Kojima did to him. To me, Riaden's story ends at 2. He doesn't exist after that.
---
Everybody knows! I stop short!
#173StarkangarooPosted 6/13/2013 6:35:10 PM
New Dante.
Ayumi from X-blades.
---
I don't like the games the games like me!!
#174fifthfanPosted 6/14/2013 1:26:40 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Edge Maverick (wah wah wah, I was tricked into helping blow up a world, time to mope hard about it!)

People seriously complain about that?

I was fine for the initial moping, but the his attitude of just wanting to give up persisted for way too long.
---
Aww, it's soo cute, just makes you want to club it.
#175SinfullyvannilaPosted 6/14/2013 6:06:45 AM
fifthfan posted...
Edge Maverick (wah wah wah, I was tricked into helping blow up a world, time to mope hard about it!)

I was fine for the initial moping, but the his attitude of just wanting to give up persisted for way too long.

That's very consistent with guilt-based depression. God forbid a character react realistically.
---
WRPGs and JRPGs were never genres until Demon's Souls came out. Stop using the terms incorrectly.
#176ISquat600lbsPosted 6/14/2013 6:17:42 AM
Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII.
---
Most of the time I'm riding bicycles and on a lot of Colombian marching powder and coffee, forgive me if I act like an #%$hole. Or not, IDC.
#177PrismsbladePosted 6/14/2013 7:47:54 AM(edited)
fifthfan posted...

That's very consistent with guilt-based depression. God forbid a character react realistically.

It wasnt so much the guilt trip for blowing up the world that made everyone hate him, but his sheer stupidity that led up to the events.

He seriously didnt think what the repercussions may be for handing over such advance tech from century's into the future to their still developing world?

Or bother thinking up a more safer solution to benefit their future?

Didnt bother to think that maybe...JUST maybe this these people may have some ulterior motive.

He didnt give a **** how much any of this would affect his friends, family, and everyone born due to the events that followed.

Shrugged off your friends advice not to.

Prove that people from hundreds of years into the future are still capable of getting tricked by caveman from the past.....and captured from them despite being armed.....with bows, swords and...."ugh".

Yea he deserves the hate.

Oh my list
1.3 way tie Emil, Serah, and Noel(their can be no worst list with serah on it, without noel, same thing vise verso)
2.Edge maverick/ Lamil, that little 6 year old in the group old who claims shes 16...."ugh, along with the rest of his crew except, the kat, robot, and Faize
3.Snow, Vanille
---
Its commonly known on Gamefaqs that if anything is more evident than proven facts, its personal opinions.
#178SinfullyvannilaPosted 6/14/2013 7:08:31 AM(edited)
Yea he deserves the hate.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the hate, but experiencing the most likely emotional response to guilt is no reason to hate a character.

Prove that people from hundreds of years into the future are still capable of getting tricked by caveman from the past.....and captured from them despite being armed.....with bows, swordsand...."ugh".

"Cavemen" were more intelligent than us modern humans.

Didnt bother to think that maybe...JUST maybe this these people may have some arterial motive.

The word you're looking for is "ulterior".
---
WRPGs and JRPGs were never genres until Demon's Souls came out. Stop using the terms incorrectly.
#179PrismsbladePosted 6/14/2013 8:43:51 AM
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the hate, but experiencing the most likely emotional response to guilt is no reason to hate a character.

Your right that people shouldn't hate a character for guilt....though the reason for said guilt is another issue entirely. It was Edges stupid action that led to his emoness, and us having to deal with a mopey protagonist for many hours in.

Cavemen" were more intelligent than us modern humans.

For their time yes, doesn't mean they could have fool a modern man into handing over his tech, nor capturing them despite their advance weaponry so easily.......though Edge was kinda lacking in both these departments.

Didnt bother to think that maybe...JUST maybe this these people may have some arterial motive.

The word you're looking for is "ulterior".

whoops :/
---
Its commonly known on Gamefaqs that if anything is more evident than proven facts, its personal opinions.
#180SinfullyvannilaPosted 6/14/2013 8:56:35 AM(edited)
Cavemen" were more intelligent than us modern humans.

For their time yes, doesn't mean they could have fool a modern man into handing over his tech, nor capturing them despite their advance weaponry so easily.......though Edge was kinda lacking in both these departments.

You're vastly underestimating them. Did you know humanity's average IQ drops currently drops at a rate of 1.23 IQ points per decade?
---