This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

*sigh* it finally happened I got a Gamestop story today

#1kalibre16Posted 6/12/2013 9:36:32 PM
Yeah I know there's a billion of these story's already but to be honest despite the constant hassling to Pre-order and shoving power up rewards I never really had a problem with Gamestop (except for that time they wanted to sell me a "New game" unsealed)

Anyways so the premise is simple I Pre-ordered RE: Revelations from both Amazon and Gamestop so I could get both bonuses (they were mediocre but I figured why not) the plan being to return the one from Amazon to Gamestop when it arrived and play the other on launch day (evil? maybe, but developers really need to stop separating bonuses)

Due to various reasons I didn't have time until today to go and return my other copy mind you the game came out May 21 and of course it was sealed so I was eligible for a full refund within 30 days

So I go in and say
"I'd like to return this please" the person behind the counter glances at the receipt for a second and says
"Sorry we can't return it" and I say "what do you mean?"
Then they say "We are only allowed to return GAMES within 7 days of purchase" and I say "it doesn't say that anywhere on the receipt it mentions Pre-owned merchandise but this is sealed"
They say "yeah we can only return accessories within 30 Days, Games are only allowed a week"
Then I show them the back which says "Unopened New Merchandise (except tablets) = Full refund within 30 days of purchase" they insist "I Can't do it all I can do is give you the same game"

At that point I got a little frustrated and asked to see the manager and they claim to be the Assistant Manager, having done this before I speak up and say "I've never heard of that of that policy" and they say "ITS ALWAYS BEEN OUR POLICY"

Finally they say "If you want you can try another one of our stores and they'll tell you the same thing" So I take my game and go to the next one which luckily at 34th St there are two literally across the street from each other. So I go in for whatever reason that one is empty with one bored looking cashier I hand in the game say I want to do a return they go OK. Two Minutes later I have my $54.43 back

I was a bit taken aback at how simple it should be versus the BS they were telling me at the first store. I was tempted to go back and ask why they gave me such a hard time about it but then I was like eh (I'm not very vindictive like that)
---
---
"A good essay is like a mini skirt its long enough to cover all the important stuff but still short enough to keep you interested"---
#2Strifer201Posted 6/12/2013 9:41:21 PM
Good for you! Didn't go back and wave the money from the return in GameStop #1's assistant manager though?! Missing out on being able to say "It is your policy!" and feeling awesome :D
---
PSN - Strifer201
#3CH3L0_Posted 6/12/2013 9:42:19 PM
You should record yourself next time, upload the video on the internet so he can get fired.
---
PSN: CH3L0_
#4jubjub360Posted 6/12/2013 9:43:01 PM
Strifer201 posted...
Good for you! Didn't go back and wave the money from the return in GameStop #1's assistant manager though?! Missing out on being able to say "It is your policy!" and feeling awesome :D

I'm gonna be honest, if that happened to me (the dumb assistant manager saying it to me I mean), I'd do this.
---
I wonder if body builders know that to prevent clumping of their protein shake, that they have to put liquid onto dry. The more you know!
#5FlyojumperPosted 6/12/2013 9:55:04 PM
If the tone of the clerk and the content of the conversation wasn't exaggerated, I would have definitely gone back to store #1 to talk to the manager. I think their return policy might be more clearly stated on their website or on the small prints they have in store, and if it is, I would have gone even further and escalated it to a district manager.
---
After extensive lab research, it appears that sterility is indeed hereditary...
#6kalibre16(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2013 9:56:09 PM
I probably should have but geez IDK I would have felt like one of my irrational customers (I work as a teller at one of those check cashing places) I know the other side of things and to be honest unless a supervisor is watching me get told off by a customer I could care less what they have to say even if they prove me wrong lol

That and I hate making a scene, to me it just feels awkward making a show in front of everyone (that whole conversation I was pretty calm....at least I think I was hmmm maybe I should have recorded myself)

I do kind of regret not asking why they gave me such a hard time in the first place but its whatever I just won't go to that gamestop anymore
---
---
"A good essay is like a mini skirt its long enough to cover all the important stuff but still short enough to keep you interested"---
#7MoonBoundPosted 6/12/2013 11:09:11 PM
I bought arcania online from gamestop and they sent me a bad copy with a terrible stained smudge and the game didn't work at all, I was polite but I explained that with a new copy they should compensate for my time and frustration and I got another copy and a full refund in credit. I just need to direct and firm not angry but firm and show your knowledgeable enough to cause problems.

There has been stupid people trying to rip me off sometimes, hell I've even had problems with doctors because they assume they know more regardless of my experience or knowledge.

You have to say no and no until they shut up and listen. Allot of people think and act like children and have to be treated as such just to get what's owed to you and I'd that's not sad then I don't know what is.
#8Strippin HeatPosted 6/12/2013 11:10:46 PM
I can tell you that you are correct - the return policy on sealed new items is 30 days, including games. The only real reason to not accept your return would be if the barcode was different. Some stores (mostly Walmart since they have their own outsourced production facilities) have different barcodes that wouldn't scan at GameStop and would be a telltale sign of your bonus-scumming.

If you like, I can give you corporate's number and you can make a report if you have that store's number (on your original receipt) and the employee's name. Corporate takes such customer service problems seriously, even if the local managers don't.
---
There = location. Their = possession. They're = "they are".
Then = time. Than = comparison.
#9MoonBoundPosted 6/12/2013 11:44:03 PM(edited)
Strippin Heat posted...
I can tell you that you are correct - the return policy on sealed new items is 30 days, including games. The only real reason to not accept your return would be if the barcode was different. Some stores (mostly Walmart since they have their own outsourced production facilities) have different barcodes that wouldn't scan at GameStop and would be a telltale sign of your bonus-scumming.

If you like, I can give you corporate's number and you can make a report if you have that store's number (on your original receipt) and the employee's name. Corporate takes such customer service problems seriously, even if the local managers don't.

Hmm I second this, the employee might have been new but the assistant manager should have known this. The assistant will get blamed for it.

Anyways I doubt anyone will get fired just yelled at and will have to work harder if they do not wwn to be demoted.
#10RankorrPosted 6/12/2013 11:46:17 PM
While I agree if their return policy is plain as day they should abide by it, I can't necessarily sympathize since what you were doing wasn't necessarily honest either!