This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

do you like story line and plot of games now days

#1ivory3333Posted 6/14/2013 8:18:20 AM(edited)
sorry didn't mention on the title but this will contain a lot of SPOILERS on games so careful before you read it.

when developers make any game, most of the time they are restricted on the budged and don't have enough to spend on all such as music, story, gameplay, graphic and so on. Depends on the creator themselves, they spend more on certain category than other which they think is the best. what was the last time you played a game where you the story wowed you, or atleast you liked the story? also plot, sometime the story may not be great but they have great plot or how the story is set up. anyway write the list of game that you think have great story line and/or plot. you can also add ps1 and ps2 games if you want. And what do you think of the new games coming or this generation based on these 2 elements, or do you think the developer paying less attention on that? or you think some of them are just over done?

me personally, in ps1 i haven't played many game but one that i really liked story wise and especially plot was metal gear solid 1.

As for RPG game, many of the game had similar theme such as a bad guy is taken over or destroying the world and you team is the one suppose to stop it. But what pieces within the game such as characters story and plots make up a great game. so i would say legend of dragoon, FF9 were great.

in ps2, i would say game like shadow of destiny, silent hill 2 and rouge galaxy among many others.

in ps3 there are fewer games i liked compare to other 2 but there are enough. uncharted series i like but among them i like the second one better. story may not be really great but still good, plot wise i liked bioshock infinite. And i really liked how the game set up was in Batman arkham asylum.
---
"When you have to shoot...Shoot! Don't talk." Eli Wallach
#2metfan57Posted 6/14/2013 8:00:16 AM
New AAA Plot line= cynical older mentor protag, with a younger (usually female) sidekick type, throw in zombies, someone usually dies at the end. OMG SO EMOTIONAL AND IMMERSIVE!11 NO WUNDER IT GOT SUCH GUD METACRITIC GOTY
---
zach galafanakis is sexy accountant, with a stutter?
PSN-Monotoot
#3jammiesPosted 6/14/2013 8:08:42 AM
What's the tl;dc version?
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#4PrismsbladePosted 6/14/2013 8:10:34 AM
metfan57 posted...
New AAA Plot line= cynical older mentor protag, with a younger (usually female) sidekick type, throw in zombies, someone usually dies at the end. OMG SO EMOTIONAL AND IMMERSIVE!11 NO WUNDER IT GOT SUCH GUD METACRITIC GOTY

.....Your not talking about the walking dead arent you?

Anyways JRPGs have started deteriorating in overall plot recently, not helped that they havent outgrown age old character archtyping, and cliches.

Western RPGs have not really been suffering on this regard though.
---
Its commonly known on Gamefaqs that if anything is more evident than proven facts, its personal opinions.
#5ivory3333(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2013 8:16:36 AM
yeah i understand the part with some one usually dies at the end..that has been happening a lot recently. don't get me wrong but the game that over done with this kind of stuff is the ps3 rpg game Nier but the game that pulled it off Red dead Redemption

i really should have mentioned spoiler on the title tag, sorry i forgot that. since this will be having alots of spoilers.
---
#6ivory3333(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2013 8:19:34 AM
metfan57 posted...

lol i thought he meant Bioshock infinite, except te zombie part.
---
#7kel25Posted 6/14/2013 8:20:50 AM
There have been a few stories that have wowed me. The problem is that many games have generic stories so about the only way to get me to really like the story is to have great characters. This will allow me to overlook various problems with the story.

There have been a few game stories that have really wowed me.

The Walking Dead - I'm talking about the Telltale game here. It was pretty much a generic zombie apocalypse story but the characters really made you care about them and their plight.

The Darkness - I would consider this a dark romance story. It was a very unique experience when compared to most games and the atmosphere really breathed life into the story.

Heavenly Sword - Nariko really made me like this games story even though I hated the gameplay. She was a great strong female character that didn't come across as being a complete b#$%( like so many other characters that were designed to be strong females.

Vagrant Story - The "villain" in this game is among my all time favorites. Constantly testing the hero but your never really sure what his motive is or who's side he's on until the end.

Parasite Eve - The overall story is save the world but when it comes to RPGs nearly everything about this game was completely unique.

Persona 3 - See Parasite Eve.

Final Fantasy VI - This game was pretty much the perfect RPG in my opinion. A large cast of playable characters all with a unique background and most of them really get fleshed out. On top of that the heroes actually fail to save the world and it gets destroyed.

Suikoden - The series in general is filled with fantastic character moments. I could go on all day about what makes these stories great.

Legacy of Kain - Normally I can see a plot twist coming a mile away. This series had so many great ones that I never saw coming. This is one of the few games in which I feel the voice acting really adds to the story.
#8SinfullyvannilaPosted 6/14/2013 8:20:53 AM
I stopped caring about plot a few years ago after having played Etrian Odyssey and Shiren within close proximity of each other.
---
WRPGs and JRPGs were never genres until Demon's Souls came out. Stop using the terms incorrectly.
#9metfan57Posted 6/14/2013 8:27:19 AM
kel25 posted...
There have been a few stories that have wowed me. The problem is that many games have generic stories so about the only way to get me to really like the story is to have great characters. This will allow me to overlook various problems with the story.

There have been a few game stories that have really wowed me.

The Walking Dead - I'm talking about the Telltale game here. It was pretty much a generic zombie apocalypse story but the characters really made you care about them and their plight.

The Darkness - I would consider this a dark romance story. It was a very unique experience when compared to most games and the atmosphere really breathed life into the story.

Heavenly Sword - Nariko really made me like this games story even though I hated the gameplay. She was a great strong female character that didn't come across as being a complete b#$%( like so many other characters that were designed to be strong females.

Vagrant Story - The "villain" in this game is among my all time favorites. Constantly testing the hero but your never really sure what his motive is or who's side he's on until the end.

Parasite Eve - The overall story is save the world but when it comes to RPGs nearly everything about this game was completely unique.

Persona 3 - See Parasite Eve.

Final Fantasy VI - This game was pretty much the perfect RPG in my opinion. A large cast of playable characters all with a unique background and most of them really get fleshed out. On top of that the heroes actually fail to save the world and it gets destroyed.

Suikoden - The series in general is filled with fantastic character moments. I could go on all day about what makes these stories great.

Legacy of Kain - Normally I can see a plot twist coming a mile away. This series had so many great ones that I never saw coming. This is one of the few games in which I feel the voice acting really adds to the story.

you should put spoilers on some of those
---
zach galafanakis is sexy accountant, with a stutter?
PSN-Monotoot
#10kel25Posted 6/14/2013 8:35:22 AM(edited)
metfan57 posted...
you should put spoilers on some of those

Nothing was really spoiled and those that did have slight spoilers are older than the average poster here. It would be like putting spoilers on Darth Vader being Luke's father. If a story comes from several generations ago we shouldn't have to bother with spoiler tags.

EDIT: Not to mention that you quoted the entire post so people would still see what I originally wrote even if I took the time to put spoilers up.