This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've never played a Final Fantasy game. Where should I start?

#51red eye dragoonPosted 6/21/2013 8:57:22 PM
9 definitely, it's a nice journey with great characters, playful dialog, an uncomplicated battle system, and an ending that will probably leave you in tears.

It was my first FF back in 8th grade and everything about it still holds up to this day.
---
PSN & Nintendo ID: Kenshin5435
#52PlayMotherAt420Posted 6/21/2013 11:29:18 PM
I've played nearly all of them and its a bit of a toss up between 7 and 10, but I'm leaning towards 7

7 has better characters and story and is just more satisfying and epic overall.
10 has better graphics, more sidequests, and more customization in terms of character build.

7 is a more open world to explore (after disc 1), and 10 puts you on rails a little more.

Someone else said 10 was the most accessible. I'd have to agree, but the characters are kinda...dumb (except Auron and Jecht of course). Tidus and Wakka are.... *sigh*
#53Trophy_Hunter85Posted 6/22/2013 3:40:49 AM
I would start with 1 on GBA or PSP if you want to play all of them. If you just want to play the really good ones, I'd say start with X IX since they're probably the easiest to get into and have a low difficulty. 4, 6, 7, and XII are all really good too. If you like all of those I'd suggest playing all the other ones too.
---
Expect less and you'll be more satisfied
#54seanskatePosted 6/22/2013 4:00:53 AM
for a good grip on the series go 6,7,9,10,12,13.
---
SEN = BakerBoard
XBL/ WiiU = ClickedButton
#55badboyPosted 6/22/2013 4:27:15 AM
Start with the best one, Final Fantasy 8.
#56Another_CyzykPosted 6/22/2013 4:42:57 AM
My advice would be to start with the earliest one you can take graphically. 6 if you can handle 2D, 7 if primitive 3D, and 10 if you don't like the look of anything older than PS2. Since there's no real order to them, once you've decided you like the genre and style, it'll be easier to play older ones.

I would heavily recommend starting with 9 or earlier, though, as they feature a LOT more influence from the original designer, character designer, and composer. Once you get out of the Sakaguchi and Uematsu era, I feel the games' artistic value starts to drop off.
#57Spiroth_KweehhPosted 6/23/2013 4:19:28 AM
Another_Cyzyk posted...
My advice would be to start with the earliest one you can take graphically. 6 if you can handle 2D, 7 if primitive 3D, and 10 if you don't like the look of anything older than PS2. Since there's no real order to them, once you've decided you like the genre and style, it'll be easier to play older ones.

I would heavily recommend starting with 9 or earlier, though, as they feature a LOT more influence from the original designer, character designer, and composer. Once you get out of the Sakaguchi and Uematsu era, I feel the games' artistic value starts to drop off.

Sakaguchi only Directed FINAL FANTASY I-V.

And what? Out of Uematsu Era? Since when?

Uematsu has scored all Main FINAL FANTASY instalments, except FINAL FANTASY XIII, and obviously FINAL FANTASY XII that is an Ivalice instalment.
The latest, FINAL FANTASY XIV, was also scored by him.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world