This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

do PS3 fans think The Last of Us is overrated? Most overrated?

#1xenosaga123Posted 6/19/2013 8:57:58 AM
Do you think The Last of Us is the most overrated PS3 game ever? - Results (389 votes)
Yeah it didn't deserve the hype. Not GOTY material at all
28.79% (112 votes)
not the best, but its cool for one playthrough
30.33% (118 votes)
It's really great
40.87% (159 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Reading some reactions

Having played and beaten TLOU, it is not the best game of the generation. I played it on a rental from Redbox and that was more than enough. It was a great experience, but not a great game. There's no reason for me to ever replay it. Kinda getting tired of Naughty Dog's corridor linear games.

Yea and it almost sounds like TLOU got the Halo marketing treatment to be overhyped and sell better. But what does the Gamespot/Gamefaqs PS3 community, the greatest and biggest PS3 community in the world, think about its hype and the game itself? Do you think it will sink in popularity like Uncharted 2 and 3? Do you think it's better than those games (besides graphics) ?
#2harcoreblazerPosted 6/19/2013 9:06:12 AM
There's always the hipster/JRPG fanboy that says everything made in the western side of the world is crap.
---
Starting a flame war is easy, the hard part is ending it.
Official funyarinpa of the 999 boards.
#3MlREFOXPosted 6/19/2013 9:08:29 AM
It is a fantastic game, with great atmosphere, great characters, and true heart. It is what survival horror should be.

Jesus could descend from the heavens tomorrow riding a dragon while an army of angels shot lightning bolts Emperor-style at the world's sinners and there would still be people that watched it happen and said, "I've seen better," so of course TLoU has detractors. I am fairly convinced, though, that many of the people complaining about it actually haven't played it, or have only played a short bit. The game plays differently than watching videos, and there is something intangible about it.
#4ukokira1Posted 6/19/2013 9:09:25 AM
A great experience and did many things right. Still not GOTY though.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
AND IT WILL FLOW! LIKE A FLOOD OF PAIN!
#5MlREFOXPosted 6/19/2013 9:09:30 AM
Are you going to make a topic like this when FFXIV fails miserably?
#6Stouffer1Posted 6/19/2013 9:11:25 AM
Beat of the year so far by a long margin, but will be trumped by gta5 I'm afraid.

One of the few games I'd actually say deserves the hype. Polished is an understatement.
#7hockeybub89Posted 6/19/2013 9:22:34 AM(edited)
"Linear = Bad and not worthy of replay!"

People use linear like an insult despite the fact that there have been linear video games since the industry was created. There's types of games that should be linear and types that shouldn't be. Criticizing a game specifically for being linear is like criticzing a blockbuster action movie for not having multiple storylines and deep characterization or criticizing a 18th Century period piece for not having enough explosions. You're wanting something where it doesn't belong.

Also, the only thing that makes a game replayable is the fact that you enjoy it. I'd rather play Portal twenty times than to beat Prototype once.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#8MlREFOXPosted 6/19/2013 9:24:35 AM
hockeybub89 posted...

People use linear like an insult despite the fact that there have been linear video games since the industry was created. There's types of games that should be linear and types that shouldn't be. Criticizing a game specifically for being linear is like criticzing a blockbuster action movie for not having multiple storylines and deep characterization or criticizing a 18th Century period piece for not having enough explosions. You're wanting something where it doesn't belong.

Also, the only thing that makes a game replayable is the fact that you enjoy it. I'd rather play Portal twenty times than to beat Prototype once.

I'm honestly tired of open-world games. They lack for pacing and try to fill time with fluff. LInear, in my mind, means tighter construction, pacing, and story and usually makes for a mmuch more enjoyable experience. Open-world is becoming very tiresome.
#9Devilman_AmonPosted 6/19/2013 9:36:21 AM
MlREFOX posted...
hockeybub89 posted...

I'm honestly tired of open-world games. They lack for pacing and try to fill time with fluff. LInear, in my mind, means tighter construction, pacing, and story and usually makes for a mmuch more enjoyable experience. Open-world is becoming very tiresome.

There's Open-World, then there's also Sandbox. The two are not mutually exclusive
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#10Draconas_LyrrPosted 6/19/2013 9:41:02 AM
It's not usually the type of game I like, but I love The Last of Us. It's got me constantly paranoid of every clicking noise I hear.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but the story so far is really good, as well. Got a bit creepier when I remembered what cordyceps was...
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
I'll never look at an apple the same way again..