This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Star Ocean series analysis.

#31originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 4:47:20 PM
Alltra posted...
Crafting can be hit or miss depending on how it's implemented. Final Fantasy has had crafting systems before as well, to use your example.

Myself personally, I'm not really a fan of crafting systems.

They aren't comparable to SO's crafting system. It's much more in depth with countless items that can be crafted, far more than your typical RPG.

But I admit the Item Crafting can be very confusing to a newbie. It's one series having a FAQ open nearby will actually enrich the experience, not take away from it.
---
I was a hipster way before it was cool.
#32AlltraPosted 6/21/2013 4:52:35 PM
Confusing hell. The problem with Crafting systems most of the time is that they're overlly complex and explained poorly, and SO's isn't any different.
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#33originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 4:54:53 PM
Alltra posted...
Confusing hell. The problem with Crafting systems most of the time is that they're overlly complex and explained poorly, and SO's isn't any different.

But once you get around that, you appreciate the thought and creativity that went into it.

Not every game has to hold your hand or exclude things that your typical modern gamer would find too "complex" you know.
---
#34originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 5:00:03 PM
More importantly that stuff is optional anyway, you are never forced to do any of it. You can choose to learn it through trial and error or faqs but it's not forced upon you.

Seems to me like games like Persona and SO don't appeal to you because you prefer games that hold your hand through the whole thing and never give you any freedom.
---
#35AlltraPosted 6/21/2013 5:01:57 PM(edited)
I don't appreciate that at all. I find it tedious and annoying, and I curse at the idiots that thought it was a good idea. I'll take simplicity and "Player Friendly" any day of the week, because I'd rather have fun with it than "Appreciate it for it's creativity", while cursing it's lack of user friendliness.

It has nothing to do with being hand holdy. True freedom is allowing the player to do what they want within the system, giving them a lot of options within the system, and making it easy and straight forward to use that system. If it's so overly complex that you can't figure out how to use it, or so annoying that you don't want to use it, it may as well not even be there.
---
#36originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 5:01:29 PM
Alltra posted...
I don't appreciate that at all. I find it tedious and annoying, and I curse at the idiots that thought it was a good idea. I'll take simplicity and "Player Friendly" any day of the week, because I'd rather have fun with it than "Appreciate it for it's creativity", while cursing it's lack of user friendliness.

Okay, so you are basically a mainstream casual and I've been wasting my time.
Have an nice day. Enjoy your FF13.
---
#37AlltraPosted 6/21/2013 5:02:51 PM
Lables are fun. I don't like FFXIII either. They took out all the RPG game play and make it a heavily restrictive corridor crawl, and the crafting system in that game is atrocious too.
---
#38originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 5:05:21 PM
Considering your reason for calling crafting systems attrocious is because they are too complex and hard for you to understand, tells me my label is fairly accurate.
---
#39AlltraPosted 6/21/2013 5:10:36 PM(edited)
I understand them just fine, but they're still overly complex and annoying to use for various reasons.

At the end of the day, crafting to me is a means to an end. The simpler and more streamlined it is, the better.

Case in point, look at one of my favorite crafting systems, the stuff in the Atelier and Mana Khemia series. Those systems have a complexity to them, without being overly complex and hard to figure out, and give you all the creativity and freedom that a system like SO does.
---