This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What games are similar to the original Resident Evil games?

#1Ollie The Magic BumPosted 6/21/2013 9:05:39 AM
By original, I mean up until Nemesis, btw. Anything similar to that now with the fixed camera angles and the focus on the limited inventory and survival? I know Dead Space was somewhat similar, but I never got into it.
---
"This kid Danny Fortson reminds me of a kid named Kevin McHale." - Tommy Heinsohn
#2Guerrilla SoldierPosted 6/21/2013 9:14:35 AM
Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Silent Hill games, Dino Crisis, Fear Effect...

I guess you could make a case for Eternal Darkness.

As for newer games, I don't think there are any, as most have swapped fixed camera angles for cutscenes and quick time events.
---
Oakland A's fan: 1st in AL West
Keep the A's in Oakland! 2012 AL West Champs
#3Ollie The Magic Bum(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 9:26:06 AM
Yeah, sorry, I was meaning newer games. I've already played the games you mentioned in the first sentence.
---
"This kid Danny Fortson reminds me of a kid named Kevin McHale." - Tommy Heinsohn
#4TomoEK9Posted 6/21/2013 9:51:38 AM
No games use fixed camera angles anymore, its an antiquated mechanic now. I would recommend Resident Evil Revelations, it had a pretty good creepy feel to it, not every problem could be solved with guns, and had some decent item management requirements.

You could also try the Silent Hill series, but unfortunately Homecoming and Downpour weren't well received.
#5VegantoKeensPosted 6/21/2013 9:57:39 AM
That game style is pretty much dead. Silent Hill is great though. RE Revelations and SH Downpour are pretty great survival horror games.
---
GMT + 1
PSN = William-Lake
#6chex81Posted 6/21/2013 10:00:34 AM
I am still wishing they released REmake on PSN/XBLA
---
gt/psn: chex81
#7XechsPosted 6/21/2013 10:22:56 AM(edited)
REvelations is pretty good, it went back to old RE with regards to ammo and puzzles, but retain RE4 over shoulder (or first person) view.

The Last of US is good survival on harder difficulties. Normal and easy mode you are walking Tank ie you have tons of supplies and ammo. The only thing is they do give you a break for when it's mandatory action sequence where you have sorta infinite ammo. Also the game does use a enhanced vision mode like in tomb raider or the batman games but it is disabled on survival mode (hardest difficulty). Also button prompts for kills are gone so you have to time your stealth kills. Also game has you craft items from supplies you pick up, since it limited you have to choose to craft wisely.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#8lambchipsPosted 6/21/2013 10:23:53 AM
Lone survivor (out on the pc, idk if its out on the psn but should be)
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#9Dicer7Posted 6/21/2013 10:38:14 AM
The games closest to classic survival horror on PS3:

Siren: Blood Curse
Silent Hill: Downpour
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Deadly Premonition (more open world mystery than all out horror)
The Last of Us (not really survival horror but fans of the genre will appreciate what it offers)

There's AMY. too, but I'd avoid that one.

You could try RE: Revelations as well, but frankly I found it just as action heavy as anything in the series since RE4. It's still decent, though.

There really isn't anything quite like the classic REs unfortunately. Fixed cameras are pretty much dead.
#10LinkTheHero64Posted 6/21/2013 10:43:57 AM
Lone survivor is great although it should be noted it's a side scroller.
---
Currently playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, bioshock infinite, mass effect.
PSN: LinkTheHero64.