This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't call a game overrated if you play it 4-5 years after it comes out.

#1keybladeXIIIPosted 6/27/2013 12:16:30 AM(edited)
Seriously, I'm sick of all these people who wait years to play highly-rated games(because they're cheap, never got around playing it for various reasons, or bought a console late) and then criticize the game by saying it's "overrated" "boring," or "wasn't worth the hype."
Well no ****. Of course it's not going to have the same impact it did to gamers when it first came out compared to now. Those highly-rated games did things that, to a small extent, revolutionized games.

Games change quickly over time, and especially in THIS generation, some age horribly while others age better. We all know the best games always age well, but there are still amazing games that don't. Another thing to remember is that we're in the LAST stage of this generation:

Look at the first PS2 games to come out and compare that to Shadow of the Collosus.
Look at the first Infamous and notice how different it looks like to Infamous 2.
Heck, look at the difference between GTA IV and GTA V. Consoles change quickly over time, and if you want to criticize someone's viewpoint on a game in the past, that's really not fair to an extent.

For example, I'll pick on 3 highly-rated games that get some hate today- GTA IV, Uncharted 2, and MGS4.

GTA IV -Yeah, the graphics aren't the most amazing, but people really tend to forget what really made this game stand out. Gamers everywhere, including gaming websites, were amazed by the little things such as
-being able to walk into a store or building without any loading times
-being able to look outside the window of a car in first person while someone drives you
-different animation for walking down or up stairs (yes this was a big deal)
-easy access multiplayer (from the cell phone)
-amount of different recreational activities
-pretty good physics (mostly the car crashes)

Uncharted 2- "Oh I played the Last of Us and it made me wanna play Uncharted 2 for the first time. Wow it's so boring"
What this game really excelled in:
- pushed the graphics for the PS3 *at the time. Everything ran smooth and the snow sections were beautiful.
-included a dynamic range of environments and settings that all looked great and none of them seemed dull
-This game pretty much made set pieces in gaming popular. I know they existed before, but even games like CoD followed after with Michael Bay-like explosions and ccinematic QTEs.
-added multiplayer which was pretty fun when active

MGS4 "Wow this game is 2 hour gameplay and a 20 hour movie." You need to realize that
-this game is still one of the best looking games on PS3 and it came out in 08
-really showed what an in-game PS3 engine could do. The whole game was pretty much in-game engine and you could do small things like shake the controller during a cutscene and Snake's camo would reset, and your mask and camo would stay during cutscenes.
-IIRC, it was the first PS3 game to use rumble with the DS3 that came out with it
-Octocamo was and still is a cool mechanic. Compared to the camoflauge system in MGS3, it was a big step up and fun to play around with
-Combat was really evolved. CQC was still kinda lame, but the small things like rolling and the ability to switch to 1st person mode and run around was cool.
---
I hate seeing sigs with PC specs on them.
PSN: tookhster
#2tomcatobitricePosted 6/27/2013 12:12:37 AM(edited)
I am sry , but Uncharted 1,2,3 and Infamous 1,2 are wayyyy overrated and OMG is MGS4 OVERRATED,and i played them all when they first came out.

---
MY CP(\__/)U is neural net processor, a learning computer.Cyberdyne systems Model 101....... A WAR machine Terminator looking(='.'=) for Sarah and John Connor.
#3enigma2274Posted 6/27/2013 12:11:51 AM
I totally agree. It makes the complainer look like a fool.
---
---
PS3: The Amazing Spiderman, Infamous, Hitman Absolution
#4keybladeXIII(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2013 12:12:10 AM
tomcatobitrice posted...
I am sry , but Uncharted 1,2,3 and Infamous 1,2 are wayyyy overrated and i played them all when they first came out.

No problem in thinking that. I'm just talking about the people who played them years after.

I'm not saying it's wrong to think that they are overrated.
---
I hate seeing sigs with PC specs on them.
PSN: tookhster
#5AstroshakPosted 6/27/2013 3:10:07 AM
So, since I played FF7 when it came out, I can still call it overrated, right? Good to know ...
#6mogar002Posted 6/27/2013 3:12:49 AM
I'll do what I want. Thanks
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i.imgur.com/gcqrYXl.jpg
#7nonexistingheroPosted 6/27/2013 3:37:31 AM
I called each of those games overrated the moment they came out -__-

Why? Because each of them has mediocre gameplay.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#8nickizgr8Posted 6/27/2013 4:06:53 AM
People who say GTA IV is bad probably had no friends ,and no imagination, to play with. It's the most funniest games I've ever played with. Messing around and doing random crap online with 10+ friends was great.
#9Stanger5150Posted 6/27/2013 4:39:11 AM
Age has nothing to do with a game's overall quality.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
#10glory of power metalPosted 6/27/2013 4:44:32 AM
I can only agree with this over the span of a full generation. There's no reason why Uncharted 2 should be defended for feeling dated after 3 and a half years. That's a flaw with the game itself.

The truly great titles of the past are still enjoyable. If a game feels dated after 4 years, it just didn't have enough substance behind the shiny graphics.
---
Now Playing: Saints Row: The Third, Sub-Terrania, Super Stardust HD
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher