This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why all the hate for Ni No Kuni?

#61ZurrurPosted 7/4/2013 6:05:19 AM
If you love JRPGs don't buy Ni No Kuni its terrible
#62McSlayerPosted 7/4/2013 6:27:49 AM
It's a decent RPG with excellent aesthetics and a great soundtrack. It's worth a go for sure, although outside of the main story the side mission can become quite repetitive.
#63Bloodlines1191Posted 7/4/2013 12:37:59 PM
Damn. Is Ni No Kuni that bad? I've seen the playthroughs and it looked pretty good! :D

And to everyone saying it's overrated, it sure lacks praise here though.
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#64CobraGTPosted 7/4/2013 4:14:47 PM
No not overrated. The game is most definitely quirky.

I have beat Ni no Kuni (halfway mark) and unlocked "bonus quests" I am at 52% for trophies.

First off I have not watched Ghibli movies but I have read all 7 volumes of Nausicaa. I have played many Jrpg's.

The battle system.

There are elemental strengths and weaknesses. Some physical tricks (special attacks) are powered by attack and resisted by defense. Some physical tricks such as Parp are for magic users and powered by magical attack. I have not checked actually to see whether defense of resistance is used for protection in Parp.

In your strategy in addition to elemental alignments, celestial alignments must be considered. Sun, moon, star are rock, paper, scissors for 20! I ignored this for up until last week to my sorrow. I kept losing S-rank in the colosseum due to the 20% bonus working against me: I did 20% less damage while receiving 20% more damage.

The AI is wacky. You can abuse it or hate it. I do both equally.

The fairies. Just refreshing and hilarious.

The humor. Quirky but easy to get.

The love story. A boy for his mother makes some guys uncomfortable.

I think that the love story, the elemental + celestial mechanic and the wacky AI account for the hate.

The game also has a long introduction.
---
GoldenSun/Crossbone Isle diagrams/ 18 teams known http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/SwordOfWheat/Weyard/PicsNao/
#65MoonlightJustPosted 7/4/2013 4:19:10 PM
McSlayer posted...
It's a decent RPG with excellent aesthetics and a great soundtrack. It's worth a go for sure, although outside of the main story the side mission can become quite repetitive.

This pretty much sums it up. Decent to good game. Nothing mind blowingly amazing, but good none the less.
#66SigmaHacielPosted 7/4/2013 4:19:30 PM
CobraGT posted...
No not overrated. The game is most definitely quirky.

I have beat Ni no Kuni (halfway mark) and unlocked "bonus quests" I am at 52% for trophies.

First off I have not watched Ghibli movies but I have read all 7 volumes of Nausicaa. I have played many Jrpg's.

The battle system.

There are elemental strengths and weaknesses. Some physical tricks (special attacks) are powered by attack and resisted by defense. Some physical tricks such as Parp are for magic users and powered by magical attack. I have not checked actually to see whether defense of resistance is used for protection in Parp.

In your strategy in addition to elemental alignments, celestial alignments must be considered. Sun, moon, star are rock, paper, scissors for 20! I ignored this for up until last week to my sorrow. I kept losing S-rank in the colosseum due to the 20% bonus working against me: I did 20% less damage while receiving 20% more damage.

Translation for battle system - A clunky mess of a TBS that had the TB ripped out of it and never filled in with anything else.

The AI is wacky. You can abuse it or hate it. I do both equally. Wacky must mean horse ass.

The fairies. Just refreshing and hilarious. SOMETHING had to be fun in this trainwreck.

The humor. Quirky but easy to get. Doesn't exist much.

The love story. A boy for his mother makes some guys uncomfortable. Because it executed about as well as a fat blind girl sniffing out food. A boy pining for a mom that was never characterized and became a non-thing in the first 10 minutes.

I think that the love story, the elemental + celestial mechanic and the wacky AI account for the hate. And the super dull story in general, the horrible combat system, the abysmal characters.

The game also has a long introduction. And never stops holding your hand.

---
Don't like my opinion? Gosick. There is a reason it is MY opinion and not yours.
#67NicodimusPosted 7/4/2013 4:35:01 PM
I won't touch it because of the way it looks. That art style makes my skin crawl. It might be the best RPG in the world, but I will never know.
---
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PSN list - Nicodimus pawn: Tyrion (L200 sorcerer)
Nicodimus222 pawn: Mina (L200 mage) Nicodimus223 pawn: Nibbles (L200 ranger)
#68Bloodlines1191Posted 7/4/2013 4:36:21 PM
For a game that's decent there seems to be alot of bashing this game.

Tell me. What's the REAL verdict on this game. I see in alot of threads to just simply AVOID this game ar all costs.
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#69DavCubePosted 7/4/2013 5:12:47 PM
Perma-n00b posted...
I just got a ps3 and was thinking of picking this up but it seems to be one of the more hated games on this board.

First I heard of this.
---
http://backloggery.com/davcube
#70CyborgTwentyPosted 7/7/2013 5:41:46 AM
DavCube posted...
Perma-n00b posted...
I just got a ps3 and was thinking of picking this up but it seems to be one of the more hated games on this board.

First I heard of this.

You must be new.