This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do FF devs feel the need to change their combat system away from Turn Base

#21LamacePosted 6/28/2013 1:30:59 PM
Final Fantasy is change. Even direct sequels to some entries are so radically different in gameplay department and just about every other facet, that they are hardly recognizable.

I mean, take a look at the differences between Final Fantasy Tactics, and XII. XII is essentially a sequel to Tactics, yet they play nothing alike. Crisis Core is another example of a prequel that plays nothing like VII, same with Dirge of Cerberus. Also, X and X-2 have radically different battle systems and story progression. Even XIII and XIII-2 felt wildly different from each other.

Change has been a part of the franchise since Final Fantasy II, and it's clear that no two games in the series are going to be the same. If that means going to a real time battle system for one entry, then so be it. I'm glad they do new things with each entry, that's why I love the series so much. Because you never know what to expect, for good or bad.
#22LTR450racerPosted 6/28/2013 1:36:30 PM
SoaringDive posted...
Because it's boring and devoid of connection to the characters.

This
---
PSN...USAF-Kunty
#23Dicer7Posted 6/28/2013 2:00:47 PM
VegantoKeens posted...
Eidos was not an ADHD publisher, what crap is this?

First up, the Legacy of Kain series. The one that pretty much raised the bar for voice acting and script in story telling for the entire gaming world. Soul Reaver was one of or the first open world games with no load times at all between areas or different worlds/dimensions.

Tomb Raider is the mother of survival adventure platformers and the reason why Uncharted could be what it is.

Thief is a stealth game that offers a lot of freedom in how to traverse each stage and how to reach objectives.

Deus Ex, Hitman, none of their big hit series were generic action games.

Thank you for pointing this out for the ignorant posters here.
#24Impaired MedicPosted 6/28/2013 2:01:31 PM
justchill433 posted...
FF13 had a good combat system.

lol
---
#xboxdone
#25PhaseSlaethePosted 6/28/2013 2:03:27 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
FF games have always been changing its combat and game mechanics. Nothing new :/
#26Majoras_pantsPosted 6/28/2013 2:19:41 PM
Because Turn based combat was implemented because os system limitations of the NES. There hasn't been a reason to keep it around since the SNES came out, but they just didn't want to improve the JRPG formula and just kept everything but the visuals the same.
#27DavCubePosted 6/28/2013 2:44:00 PM
If there's one thing I can defend them for, it's trying something other than the ATB system. I cannot, however, let go by statements that they supposedly could give less of a crap about making a good story. Never mind having Lara Croft syndrome about Lightning to make two sequels we never asked for, or putting off Versus for so long for undisclosed reasons.
---
http://backloggery.com/davcube
#28joker120Posted 6/28/2013 4:10:21 PM
I was always of the opinion that they were turned based due to limitations. When final fantasy first came out , the hardware probably not handle what its designers truly wanted. Now that processing power is at this point, it is possible for them to move away from a system that limits control over the characters.
---
soul silver FC:1505 7978 9391; pearl FC:3911 0786 2278
#29PhaseSlaethePosted 6/28/2013 4:14:14 PM
joker120 posted...
I was always of the opinion that they were turned based due to limitations. When final fantasy first came out , the hardware probably not handle what its designers truly wanted. Now that processing power is at this point, it is possible for them to move away from a system that limits control over the characters.

To systems that limited control over characters. Makes sense!

All around the same time these TBS games were out, we had games without TBS that did battles just fine.

So tell me how it becomes limitation with THAT being a fact.
#30enigma2274Posted 6/28/2013 6:02:26 PM
15 will be the first FF I play because it's not turn based.
---
---
PS3: The Amazing Spiderman, Infamous