This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help on buying a new TV

#11DavidZ2844(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2013 1:52:03 PM
Yeah I've been extensively researching TVs for the past week. Samsung does have a 32 inch 1080p 120hz smart TV equivalent to the Vizio's specs, but it costs a whopping $599. I wish I could get the same TV without the smart capabilities so it can be cheaper, as you guys are convincing me to go non smart. However, I can't find a 32 inch 1080p TV with 120hz, only one with 60hz (and only 2 hdmi ports, 3 is a Bit more convenient):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+32%26%2334%3B+Class+(31-1/2%26%2334%3B+Diag.)+-+LED+-+1080p+-+60Hz+-+HDTV/8932611.p?id=1218954882307&skuId=8932611

And is Samsung better than LG? It seems like the general consensus is that both are better than Vizio.
#12jtrevor99Posted 6/28/2013 1:52:58 PM
justchill433 posted...
There really is no point to 120hz. All it does it take the 60hz signal and duplicate each frame. Some 120hz TVs have frame interpolation which takes two frames and guess what the in between frame would be to artificially increase the framerate but it makes everything look unnatural and it can cause controller input lag close to a whole second.

That's not completely true. Higher framerates, IF done correctly, can lessen eyestrain. I can tell a huge difference when I'm running 90Hz on my computer monitor versus 60Hz, for example.
But note that I said IF done correctly - justchill pointed out at least two ways to do it wrong - just duplicating 60Hz frames, or causing controller lag. So you really need to check into HOW the framerate is boosted.
#13The_PlagueLordPosted 6/28/2013 1:54:32 PM
I think LG has come a long way and their TV's right now are on par with Samsung and even better in some cases.

To the person who said refresh rates means nothing, well my eyes disagree with you as I have visited stores and the 120hz models definitely looked better on side by side comparisons. But I am no tech geek....
#14jtrevor99Posted 6/28/2013 1:55:13 PM
DavidZ2844 posted...
And is Samsung better than LG? It seems like the general consensus is that both are better than Vizio.

As someone else said, you're really better off comparing individual models than brand names. A Samsung I ended up buying 7 years ago was rated higher than the equivalent Panasonic (supposedly the best brand) available at the same time. But that wasn't true for all the Samsung models.

It's even possible to get a good knockoff model if you're careful, but of course you've got to really do your research first. And if non-Smart models are only available in 60Hz, then I'd say go for the 60Hz.
#15DavidZ2844(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2013 1:59:43 PM
Here are some model numbers to make things easier for the experts:

Samsung 32 inch 1080p 60hz nonsmart: un32f5000afxza

LG 32 inch 1080p 60hz nonsmart:
32ln5300

Samsung 32 inch 1080p 60hz smart:
un32f5500afxza

Vizio 32 inch 1080p 120hz smart:
M321i-a2

Samsung 32 inch 1080p 120hz smart:
un32f6300afxza

I've tried google and nothing too useful shows up comparison wise.
#16DavidZ2844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2013 10:51:16 AM
Bump. How do I summon archizzy?
#17NthPosted 7/1/2013 2:04:12 PM
Interesting thread, as I am also in the market for a new TV for my bedroom for when I get a PS4.
---
"The only thing I learned during my first pre-law class was that justice has no place in the legal system." - G
#18docholliday504Posted 7/1/2013 2:28:21 PM
gotta go 4k brah. Anything less and your games will look like Super Nintendo games.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing: Skyrim DLC.
#19archizzyPosted 7/1/2013 2:38:13 PM
DavidZ2844 posted...
Haha I actually don't live near Canada at all. And I've heard people say its worth it to get the Samsung over the Vizio, but that 120hz... And I've also heard things about input lag, is that related to refresh rate?

I'll try to keep this as short and straight forward as possible.

Input lag comes from scaling/processing. It isn't directly related to the refresh rate alone however sets with higher refresh rates often have more advanced processing features that potentially could give you a higher input lag so it isn't exactly cut and dry based on refresh rate alone.

As far as frame interpolation you wouldn't want to use that with gaming anyway. Even if you like the soap opera effect on tv/movies gaming is a different element. Unlike tv/movies where it can look at frame A and frame C and then the processor can draw a frame B to insert and smooth the image gaming is live rendering which will cause the frame prediction process to be more flawed than normal, and ultimately create artifacting.

Your biggest challenge is budget LCDs have fallen off the last few years. Up until 2008 generally with few exceptions the largest LCD panels were 52 inches and the "common" sizes for good models were 40, 46, and 52 with still quite a bit of quality 32 inch sets.

As sizes have exploded most top tier tvs don't start until 46 inches, and in some models not until you pass the 50 inch threshhold.

While I understand you are looking for a 32 inch set, ultimately this impacts you because 32 inch sets are being shoved down to the bottom of the barrel, hell even 40 inch sets. They are the lowest entry level tvs of the lowest quality.

2011 was the last good year to pick up a quality mid tier set from Samsung. (and even then it was only available in 40 and 46 inches) The same can be said for LG. They made a hell of a set for the money (LK450 or LK520 model)

This was the year everyone started to phase out their CCFL LCDs except for maybe the absolute bottom level sets. Edge lit LED started taking over because of cheaper manufacturing and last year Samsung started to phase in their "Direct View" LED sets that were full array, (non local dimming) and thicker like a CCFL set but with half the number of LEDs and ho hum picture quality.

Basically the last few years have been a step backwards in small size LCD quality.

My best advice for someone on a budget and looking to stay in a smaller size is to sacrifice some more size, and just get a monitor. More bang for your buck than the entry level tvs in the budget price range.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#20jtrevor99Posted 7/1/2013 3:32:55 PM
archizzy posted...
DavidZ2844 posted...
As far as frame interpolation you wouldn't want to use that with gaming anyway. Even if you like the soap opera effect on tv/movies gaming is a different element. Unlike tv/movies where it can look at frame A and frame C and then the processor can draw a frame B to insert and smooth the image gaming is live rendering which will cause the frame prediction process to be more flawed than normal, and ultimately create artifacting.

This is why a lot of modern flatscreen TVs have "Game Modes". That mode usually disables the higher refresh rate when the higher rate would result in reduced performance.