This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hotline Miami is badass

#1BronxstaPosted 6/28/2013 1:25:51 PM(edited)
I had never played Hotline Miami on the PC, but I had heard mountains of praise for the game over the last few months. And now that I've bought the game, one thing has become apparent:

Hotline Miami is badass

It's like if David Lynch was inspired by Drive to make a game.

With its Super Meat Boy-style of lightning fast gameplay and instant restarts, every death is not frustrating but a learning process, a way to hone your skills. A lot has been made of the violence, which is both gratuitous and meaningful, but the blood splatter and gore is just a cathartic veneer over the game's perfectly tuned mechanics.

The controls are simple but it all combines into slick bursts of violence. Knock an a guy down with a door slam, stun the armed enemy with a thrown pipe, punch a third to death, bash the other two's heads on the floor, pick up a shotgun and spin around in time to splatter the three other enemies entering the room....

But for every moment like that, you will die. Your reflexes won't be fast enough, you'll overlook an enemy and be blown in half. One hit kills, but like Super Meat Boy, each death is a learning experience, another opportunity to improve your skills. Levels where you died dozens of times will eventually be cleared in a single bloody combo of door slams. thrown weapons, booming guns, and spraying blood and gore.

The story is subtle, but surprisingly deep, touching upon the nature of violence and the role of the player in the onscreen carnage.

Masks that add subtle changes to the gameplay, tons of melee and gun, 22 levels including 2 bonus PC levels, and an addictive gameplay hook that drives one to improve their skills and scores...Hotline Miami is more than just a murder simulator, it's a game that challenges the player to learn from their mistakes and actually get better
---
You had my curiosity...
...but now you have my attention.
#2progamer664Posted 6/28/2013 1:26:53 PM
http://i.minus.com/imEcyNXMLoehn.gif
#3The_PlagueLordPosted 6/28/2013 1:28:05 PM
I have only seen the Rage Quit guy play that game on youtube, looks fun but pretty frustrating too. How much is it?
#4Bloodlines1191Posted 6/28/2013 1:32:26 PM
Hotline Miami is badass? Who knew?
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#5CrimsonGear80Posted 6/28/2013 1:33:29 PM
The vita version is pretty good. Haven't played on PS3 yet.
---
Glad DmC shipped a million copies and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#6Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2013 1:34:07 PM
The_PlagueLord posted...
I have only seen the Rage Quit guy play that game on youtube, looks fun but pretty frustrating too. How much is it?

$9.99

I wouldn't say frustrating. It's more like Super Meat Boy or Dark Souls, where you learn from your mistakes and get better

Just watch that GIF.
---
You had my curiosity...
#7boring_namePosted 6/28/2013 1:34:16 PM
Completely agree, one of the best games I've played in a long time.
---
Playing right now - Hotline Miami
#8The_PlagueLordPosted 6/28/2013 1:57:58 PM
I have become a graphics and story whore this gen with my old age. I hardly get excited unless I know the game will have a very cinematic experience. TLOU made me feel so much emotions and was so amazing, I have a hard time with the ''simple'' games like this, but for 10$ I might try it.

I still play 2-3 times a year Super Metroid, imo best game ever made.
#9Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2013 2:13:13 PM
I especially like that there is a sense of progression.

You don't upgrade your character or earn new skills, but actually progress as a player. You get better scores and more points not because you unlocked the best moves but because you actually play the game better.
---
You had my curiosity...
#10danny50Posted 6/28/2013 2:15:16 PM
I absolutely hate the game.
But yet, when I rage quit, 10 minutes later I found myself back on it till I finished it.

Hotline Miami taught what a Love / Hate relationship really is all about.