This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 wont start

#1High_WarlordPosted 6/30/2013 9:17:08 PM
I turned it on today with no problems, it started up fine. But I needed to download the new system update, 4.46 (I never installed 4.45), so I did since I couldn't get online with the update. But after the it downloaded the update, the system restarted to install it, like usual, but during the restart it never came back on, it just stayed at a black screen. I waited for about 15-20 minutes, but it never did anything.

Now, when I turn it on, it just stays at a black screen. Actually, my TV doesn't even detect any signal. I tried restarting it in safe mode, but it still just stays at a black screen (with my TV saying no signal detected). I tried using a different HDMI cable, in case it was the cable, and still nothing.

Anyone know of any way I could possibly fix this?

If it matters, I have a 120GB, upgraded to a 500GB HDD, Slim model that I got around December of 2009.
---
A human mage, elf archer and dwarf warrior walk into a bar.
Now loading, please wait...
#2CoolmanCPosted 6/30/2013 9:31:56 PM
What color light are you getting when you try to start it?
---
PSN 360 WII U
Shinmigami
#3elbarto1Posted 6/30/2013 9:34:40 PM
Had a similar problems. (Not update related though). I kept doing the "hold power button" reset and after 3or4 tries it just worked.
---
I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!
:XBL: THE B0DY :PSN: THE_BODY_ :NNID: The_B0DY
#4High_Warlord(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 9:53:22 PM
CoolmanC posted...
What color light are you getting when you try to start it?

Green. It will beep twice and three times if I hold it down, it's just I have no video on the screen. Also I can not turn my controllers on. They will just blink (like they are charging). If I press the PS button on them, nothing happens.

elbarto1 posted...
Had a similar problems. (Not update related though). I kept doing the "hold power button" reset and after 3or4 tries it just worked.

I've tried it about 7 or 8 times now and nothing. Maybe I'll keep trying, IDK.
---
#5elbarto1Posted 6/30/2013 9:57:09 PM
Sounds like a display problem. But the controllers not connecting says otherwise.

I Don't know.

Tried different HDMI/av inputs on TV?
---
#6High_Warlord(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 10:39:42 PM
Indeed I have. Still nothing.

I put in the old PS3 hard drive and I can get it to start in Safe Mode, but whenever I try to install the newest update, via a USB device (hoping to install the newest update on it will somehow help me install it on my updated drive), it tells me "There was a critical error." and I can't do anything.

I also can't even repair the file system or system database on the old hard drive either. It stays at "Preparing, Please Wait..." forever.

So it's not an visual issue, I guess my PS3 is just fried. Because there is no way both my upgraded and old hard drives are messed up. Sucks, because I had a few saves I would of liked to keep.
---
#7elbarto1Posted 6/30/2013 10:52:46 PM
High_Warlord posted...
Indeed I have. Still nothing.

I put in the old PS3 hard drive and I can get it to start in Safe Mode, but whenever I try to install the newest update, via a USB device (hoping to install the newest update on it will somehow help me install it on my updated drive), it tells me "There was a critical error." and I can't do anything.

I also can't even repair the file system or system database on the old hard drive either. It stays at "Preparing, Please Wait..." forever.

So it's not an visual issue, I guess my PS3 is just fried. Because there is no way both my upgraded and old hard drives are messed up. Sucks, because I had a few saves I would of liked to keep.

Sounds like your newer HDD got borked in the update and the old one needs to be updated to function properly in the ps3.

Off the top of my head that's my guess that the ps3 itself (mobo/drive) is still OK.

Try connecting the fried drive to a PC to attempt to retrieve your saves. Then format one or buy a new one and try installing that fresh one.
---
#8High_Warlord(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 11:55:08 PM
Well I got my upgraded (the one I was using earlier when this all started happening) hard drive to finally show something on the screen, I just needed to have the USB file storage connected (which is weird). But when I try to get the update off the USB external hard drive, it just stays at 99% and does nothing else after that. Someone who had this problem on the Sony support forums suggested to repair the file system, but when I do that it just stays at "Preparing... Please wait" again, like my other hard drive.

It does indeed seem like the update has screwed up my hard drive somehow. I managed to get my old hard drive to work (although I had to reformat it). My PS3 works with the old hard drive in (even updated to 4.46), so you're right. It has something to do with the update on my other hard drive. Hopefully they can somehow send out another fix to fix it soon.
---
#9elbarto1Posted 7/1/2013 12:16:40 AM
High_Warlord posted...
Well I got my upgraded (the one I was using earlier when this all started happening) hard drive to finally show something on the screen, I just needed to have the USB file storage connected (which is weird). But when I try to get the update off the USB external hard drive, it just stays at 99% and does nothing else after that. Someone who had this problem on the Sony support forums suggested to repair the file system, but when I do that it just stays at "Preparing... Please wait" again, like my other hard drive.

It does indeed seem like the update has screwed up my hard drive somehow. I managed to get my old hard drive to work (although I had to reformat it). My PS3 works with the old hard drive in (even updated to 4.46), so you're right. It has something to do with the update on my other hard drive. Hopefully they can somehow send out another fix to fix it soon.

well that sucks still, but its a lot better than a fully broken/bricked system. hope you can recover your data and get back to normal.
---
#10High_Warlord(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2013 12:20:04 AM
elbarto1 posted...
well that sucks still, but its a lot better than a fully broken/bricked system. hope you can recover your data and get back to normal.

Yep, so true. At least now I can game until they come out with a fix, or until someone finds one. ...If they ever do.
---