This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Last of Us had linearity, everyone loves it, FFXIII on the other hand...

#1BissomoneybagsPosted 7/1/2013 12:00:35 AM
C'mon people! The story was great, voice acting, presentation, graphics, all awesome. But why has no one mentioned the linearity of this game? It literally has no exploration besides unlocking a few hidden doors with shivs. Am I missing something here? But when FFXIII is a game by Enix, everyone bashes it considerably. What gives?
#2DarkSymbiotePosted 7/1/2013 12:01:41 AM
TLoU is not even close to the same level of linearity. And FFXIII is nearly thrice as long.
---
My The Last of Us Review:
gamefaqs.com/ps3/652686-the-last-of-us/reviews/review-154646
#3spacejamjordanzPosted 7/1/2013 12:02:08 AM
RPGs aren't supposed to be so damn linear.
---
"Attack me if you dare. I will crush you." Ken Masters <Street Fighter II> PSN/XBL: Roivas2K7
#4dacekidPosted 7/1/2013 12:03:32 AM
Press X to win. Here is a map for FF13

#5DarkFistsPosted 7/1/2013 12:03:34 AM
spacejamjordanz posted...
RPGs aren't supposed to be so damn linear.

This...and I actually liked 13 a bit...not my favorite by any means, but not the worst
---
PSN=Gelthidor
#6BlueSkies7776Posted 7/1/2013 12:03:51 AM
Linearity is not a bad thing if the game is good. I'm not saying FFXIII is bad but I just didn't like the gameplay.
---
My good movie of the week: "Coraline"
Game of the month: Heavy Rain (PS3)
#7SpoonSportsPosted 7/1/2013 12:09:54 AM
Great graphics, great characters, but the story felt lackluster. The battle system was something else as they had a good idea but turned into something unexpected. I like the ideas of the monster roaming around but hated that I was only able to control one character through battle. Plus I would think they learn a thing or two from the KH series battle system.
---
Calvin and Hobbes - Greatest comic I have ever read!
JRSC 1988 Honda CRX ZC Tuned & Built by: HybridWerks
#8Dicer7Posted 7/1/2013 12:11:05 AM
If a game is going to be linear it better have a plot and characters I give a damn about or gameplay that is good. FFXIII has neither imo.

Really, TLoU just uses linearity to its advantage and creates a really strong bond with its narrative. FFXIII tried that but it never had a story worth focusing on to begin with so it just falls flat.
#9Alky88Posted 7/1/2013 12:11:46 AM
No exploration besides a few hidden doors? Have you even played the game?
---
"Official Jill Valentine of the MvC3 boards!"
#10true_gamer80Posted 7/1/2013 12:25:43 AM
Its not just FF....this is a very common complaint with so many whiners and haters around here lol.....games that were even more "open" thn TLOU have been bashed for being linear......along comes a super popular AAA linear game thats done really well in reviews and all the sudden all those l"linear sucks" complaints are all but gone all of a sudden.....its hilarious lol.....you gotta love GF....whoever cant see this is blind or a part of the nonsense....
---
Kool Kieth for president!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeknB3ceRNA