This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Uncharted series worth it?

#21PascalToGPosted 7/3/2013 3:33:20 PM
crazyman32 posted...
Shy420 posted...
I've enjoyed them all very much but you are not me. They are nothing like Crash or Jak.

I think they are better then Crash or Jak.

wat Crash and Jak are a million times better than Uncharted
#22crazyman32Posted 7/3/2013 3:40:38 PM
PascalToG posted...
crazyman32 posted...
Shy420 posted...
I've enjoyed them all very much but you are not me. They are nothing like Crash or Jak.

I think they are better then Crash or Jak.

wat Crash and Jak are a million times better than Uncharted

I don't think so and a million times is a dumb statement.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I apologize for nothing.
#23no2morroPosted 7/3/2013 5:11:38 PM(edited)
Depends on what kind of game you like. I don't mean TPS. I love TPS and the series just feels messy to me. The story is pretty good, and the visuals are excellent, but the gameplay just irks me.

I dislike the AI (running around all the time without purpose). I dislike it because its illogical, but also because they run so much, it makes it awkward to get a good shot out. I suppose that's good, but there is no logic to it (they run toward you stop, and then turn and go else where).

I love TPS, loved Gears of War, Dark Sector, Syphon Filter and all that, but I just can't get into the combat. The bullet sponge thing is also annoying (loved in gears of war how a headshot could end battles even on Insane mode). Because they move so much (illogically), its so hard to figure out patterns.

Because of this, I didn't like Uncharted 2 much (hated UC 1), and I got UC3 on PSN+ for free (I'm on chapter 14 or 15 now)....really not liking it. Too much scripted crap for my liking.

Extra enemies dropping in from thin air in market places, which when you think about it logically, there is no way (as a real world person) you would have missed or even gone into the area if you known they were there (e.g. Enemies are wearing Black suits and sunnies ala matrix, and the market people are in garbed beige color robes - 'how' could you miss the enemy in such a situation?). I know its a game, but UC is one of the few games I know that still sticks to this mechanic. The old 'God of War' games also does this respawn mechanic of nigh endless 'thin air' respawning; it doesn't gel well with me.

When all is said and done though, its a VERY polished game. I can't fault that about it. I think you just need to try it an decide for yourself. I thought I would love it, but I didn't. I thought Monster Hunter was crap when i started playing with it...played every game in the series and gotten to max hunter rank (9, 6 or 5 depending on the game) in all versions. My point: sometimes things just click; try to find out for yourself.
---
Peasant: What line of business might you be in?
Hopkins: God's Business: witch-finding!-Do you confess?
#24Still__RippinPosted 7/3/2013 5:10:38 PM
The_Zora_King posted...
I have no idea why they are so praised. They're really just third person shooters with light and simple platforming elements and set pieces. I can understand them being fun, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why it got game of the year so many times.

---
He looks down at the city in disgust. He swore he'd protect it when he landed but its getting too hard to tell the saints from the satanic.
#25singhellotakuPosted 7/4/2013 5:51:34 AM
They are pretty much non-licensed Indiana Jones games that use A fairly direct copy of the ps2 era prince of persia games gameplay if melee was replaced with guns. They are greatly overrated, but all well worth a playthrough or two.
#26lambchipsPosted 7/4/2013 6:10:49 AM
they have less variety compared to jak and crash...

- the platforming is all predetermined (get close to the cliff face and mash jump.. you dont need to time or measure when you press jump... just mash it)
- the enemies are all killed via shooting or melee, its not like crash where there are some enemies can only be killed by jumping, sliding or spinning (you'll most likely be shooting because the melee plays like a rhythm game and has no depth, not to mention its ineffective for most parts)
- you dont get special powerups to change up the game... what you play in the first 10 mins is what you'll be playing for the rest of the game (basically shooting, mashing x when you hit a predetermined event and more shooting)

the biggest of all, the gameplay has no variety (incrash you had the jet level,s the polar bear levels, 2d segments, rock chasing segments, jetski segments, bosses that requires pattern memorization etc)
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#27BodyisreggiePosted 7/4/2013 6:24:58 AM
For some reason, the people on this board don't like uncharted 3 even though it's exactly the same as Uncharted 2. The first game isn't as good though.
#28no2morroPosted 7/5/2013 4:53:33 PM
To Bodyisreggie, to be fair, I didn't like Uncharted 2 AS WELL AS Uncharted 3.

I find both stories to play to much in the supernatural (my problem not the games). Somehow God of War is fine to me, but this isn't though they are both ridiculous in that sense. I suppose because God of War is presented as Myth, it's more acceptable to me. Anyways, I basically don't like the story in Uncharted, amazingly beautiful looking game though.

Also, the gameplay doesn't gel with me either. Neither the shooting mechanics (the screen shakes too much to get a good shot off in some areas (I could name, but I don't want to have spoilers), and enemies also don't fight as they should. Many charge at you, run past you, stop, turn back and then take aim. They are bulletsponges too so they just soak up the bullets; also they are difficult to take down because they are moving.

Standard shooters, you have gun fight behind cover and you use flanking maneuvers; not so much with this (you do at times, but its less strategic). Both games play the same way in that regard as 'Bodyisreggie' pointed out. You either like it, or you don't; I didn't.
---
Peasant: What line of business might you be in?
Hopkins: God's Business: witch-finding!-Do you confess?