This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Japanese Video Game Music is Superior to Western Video Game Music

#1NintendologicalPosted 7/4/2013 11:46:18 AM
Japanese Video Game Music Is More Memorable than the Music from Western Games - Results (164 votes)
Absolutely! The Most Memorable Game Scores are From Japanese Games
71.95% (118 votes)
No! Japanese Game Music Is Nothing Special
22.56% (37 votes)
I've Never Really Noticed the Background Music to the Games I Play
5.49% (9 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Even though I still have the opinion that Western developed games are better than most Japanese games, I feel that Japan unquestionably produces superior music for their games. Western game music falls into three categories: licensed music, orchestral compositions and contemporary (rock, hip hop, dub step). While there is nothing wrong with those categories in and of themselves, they oversaturate the market. Worse, Western games primarily rely on orchestral compositions.

Japanese games may incorporate orchestral compositions, jpop and jrock, but by and large, Japanese game music is just a meshing of elements of different genres to come up with rather unique sounding but memorable melodies. Whenever people think about video game music, they tend to think of music from Japanese video games, be that the theme from Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda or Bubbleman from Mega Man 2. Japanese game music has more variety and vibrance, much like the art direction of their games.

I've been on a spree for the past two days listening to the soundtracks to games like Gunbird, Super Dragon Ball Z, Shinobi, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Tekken, Grandia, Ace Attorney, Trauma Center, Ridge Racer Type 4 etc.
---
"it detected itself as malware and deleted its own entire existence." - Benjamin_Button
#2zinformantPosted 7/4/2013 11:52:50 AM
While I have to concede that Dave Wise is legendary, the best video game music comes out of Falcom (since 198X). Check out FalcomClassics's Youtube channel or ask me for recommendations. They're not representative of Japanese video game music overall, but they're a good example to bring.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
Don't reboot PCs that you cannot access.
#3kylemcauliffe15Posted 7/4/2013 12:00:28 PM
I don't believe is country of origin based nonsense like this.
---
PSN: Gasshu-kun
The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents. - Salvador Dali
#4dr_zombergPosted 7/4/2013 12:01:05 PM
they are both great.

but the most memorable vg themes in history ARE from japanese-made games.
wily`s castle 1-2, overworld (smb), any castlevania theme, a long etc...
---
GT: Titanic Toddler
PSN: KRISHANKO
#5SoraOwnKeybladePosted 7/4/2013 12:04:49 PM
I'll concede to that. It's a fair trade off, though. Their music can rule the video game world while the West rules film scores.
---
http://i.imgur.com/MoXcd.png
#6Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2013 12:07:44 PM
zinformant posted...
While I have to concede that Dave Wise is legendary, the best video game music comes out of Falcom (since 198X). Check out FalcomClassics's Youtube channel or ask me for recommendations. They're not representative of Japanese video game music overall, but they're a good example to bring.

That sounds a lot like Mintjam with just a hint of Zuntata. I dig it. But I am more of a fiend for those Japanese game songs that have no definable genre. They are just music...like the score from Super Dragon Ball Z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5sOGk5dUkA
---
"it detected itself as malware and deleted its own entire existence." - Benjamin_Button
#7fhsfootball74Posted 7/4/2013 12:13:31 PM
In the early days of consoles sure Japanese no contest, but western games are catching up, some of the best soundtracks this gen have been in western games.
---
Blue Jackets, Columbus Crew, Reds, Bengals, Buckeyes
PSN-Fhsfootball74 NNID- returnoftheryan
#8Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2013 12:19:24 PM
fhsfootball74 posted...
In the early days of consoles sure Japanese no contest, but western games are catching up, some of the best soundtracks this gen have been in western games.

Really? In the last ten years I have enjoyed two western based game themes

- Halo 2: Mjolnir
- Skyrim: Dragon Born Comes

And honestly, that last one doesn't even count too much because I only care for Malukah's arrangement, not the original composition. Now if this were the 90s, I'd be more apt to agree. Earthworm Jim, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake II, Jazz JackRabbit. All of those games have amazing soundtracks. Lately though? Everything is some generic orchestral arrangement. Would it kill some publisher to hire Richard Jacques or Tim Follin? Those are the best two composers in Western video game music, but both of them are criminally underemployed when it comes to getting work for scoring games.
---
#9HolyMcmolyPosted 7/4/2013 12:20:12 PM
Nope, everything in western video games is superior. Story, graphics, music, literally everything.
#10DrgonbxcrossPosted 7/4/2013 12:20:34 PM
2 words.

Nobuo Uematsu.
---
this one time, i found a pube in my unopened pokemon game
I would have 1500 karma, but I forgot to login. FC 2065 3310 1217