This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People that think older games didn't have good stories probably hate reading.

#1CelestialMindPosted 7/8/2013 11:41:44 AM
I don't why it keeps getting brought up games this gen have better stories and story telling when it's not true at all. Some of the best video game stories were definitely in the SNES-PS2 timespan.

It's just you had to actually, you know read a bit of dialogue, everything wasn't VAed so I can understand those with short attention spans and/or those that hate reading assuming old games didn't have good stories.

It's a shame people mistake flash for substance this gen.
#2theshovellerPosted 7/8/2013 11:51:21 AM
I posted this as a reply in the other topic, but I'll copy it here, too:

Odd - being someone who learned to read by loading up Commodore 64 games, I can safely say that the quality of the story varied depending on the source material, the genre of game, the technology available to these people making the game, and how easily understood the story was.

Something like Captain America and Spider-Man in Doctor Doom's Revenge did a great job of telling a story - you literally played through an interactive comic.

Something like Blaster Master was a bit more convoluted - a kid runs after a frog, the frog grows big and falls in a hole because of radiation, the kid finds a tank and a suit after going after him, and..... that's it. Where's his frog? Was it the thing he killed in level 4? Maybe the one in level 7? Did the frog mutate into the tank? How does he get out of the hole? Does the kid change at all throughout the course of the story? All of these questions don't get addressed, unless you read the book written by somebody as part of that "Worlds of Power" book series that was, sometimes, extremely liberal with the game's interpretation of the source material (but in this case, actually used that book later on as canon for the PSX game Blaster Master: Blasting Again.)

So, again, it depends on a variety of things.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#3demonfang178Posted 7/8/2013 12:28:29 PM
CelestialMind posted...
I don't why it keeps getting brought up games this gen have better stories and story telling when it's not true at all. Some of the best video game stories were definitely in the SNES-PS2 timespan.

Such as?
#4NightwishPosted 7/8/2013 12:30:44 PM
Reading is outdated, just like turn based RPGs.
---
PSN: Xnightwish XBL: Xnightwish
Proud member of the Devils/Islanders Alliance
#5NibbetsPosted 7/8/2013 12:33:06 PM
Do kids these days even know what reading is? It's almost like the same thing as going outside to play.
---
Feed me the heart of a small child so that I may live forever
#6agrissaPosted 7/8/2013 12:38:39 PM
Kids this gen are all ADD and allergic to reading.
---
DMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DmC
#7SolidKnightPosted 7/8/2013 1:08:04 PM(edited)
I judge stories on the merit of their premise and presentation; not for how verbose they are. In fact, some of the worst stories I've come across have been lengthy RPG stories. They're not bad due to lack of content but rather they're bad because they're executed so poorly.
#8Orcinus_ToothPosted 7/9/2013 1:15:07 AM
Nightwish posted...

And do you use a voice assistance program to read out loud what you're currently reading?
#9jammiesPosted 7/9/2013 1:35:11 AM
Orcinus_Tooth posted...
Nightwish posted...

And do you use a voice assistance program to read out loud what you're currently reading?

Speak up, I can't hear you.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#10Orcinus_ToothPosted 7/9/2013 1:39:39 AM
jammies posted...
Orcinus_Tooth posted...
Nightwish posted...

Speak up, I can't hear you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc3iMKlNsaI