This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I get the Prince of Persia Trilogy?

#1Swan3624Posted 7/12/2013 2:20:59 PM
I saw that the Prince of Persia trilogy is on sale for $8 (I think, with PlayStation Plus), and I was kind of curious to try it out. I remember back in the day I really loved Sands of Time from the couple hours I played of it, but Warrior Within made me sad because it was a decidedly darker and less kindhearted action game than the original. Gone was the wonder and mystery of the Sands of Time, and what I considered to be infinitely more fun and fluid combat... all for the sake of making it a grittier experience more akin to God of War :(

After that failure, I never even gave The Two Thrones a chance. It looked like it was less gritty and violent as the second one, but still not in line with the narrative and gameplay style I enjoyed from the first game.

But it has been a long time, so I'm thinking it might be time to give the series another chance!

1. How do the games hold up? I heard there were some glitches with the digital release of the trilogy, but I'm more worried about the core gameplay of the games in question.

2. How is the difficulty for them, individually?

3. Do they have overarching stories that are pretty good?

4. And I don't remember, but do any of the games have respawning enemies? One of the banes of my gaming existence is respawning enemies... right next to arena battles (locked in a room, forced to fight more than a few waves of enemies to progress through the story) and unfairly timed sections of running away from explosions or crumbling buildings.

I have bought a lot in the Summer Blast sale (Ratchet and Clank Trilogy being one of those things), with more on the way probably (Silent Hill: Book of Memories is calling my name!), but I think I could make another purchase or two in the meantime! What do you think? Should I give the trilogy a shot?
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624
#2blackwaltz3Posted 7/12/2013 3:01:41 PM
I had bought the disc version when it was released and the sound was awful. So bad that I was not enjoying playing it. I don't know if the digital version suffers from the same issue but that is the only thing holding me back on this sale.

I personally think all 3 three games are great, but there are better ways to play them.
---
Trying is the first step towards failure.
PSN ID: Nieds
#3DemiFistPosted 7/12/2013 3:03:00 PM
Warrior Within was my favorite.
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#4Swan3624(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 4:08:21 PM
Thank you for your responses :)

Now that I'm out of that phase of being sad about Ubisoft changing the direction of the series in Warrior Within, I'm sure I'll be able to appreciate and respect it much more!

Hm, the glitches in sound don't inspire confidence, especially in the digital game form. :( What kinds of sound glitches were happening?

Also, from your experiences, how difficult are the games? I would consider myself a hardcore gamer with a casual mentality, meaning I play a ton of games and know a lot about them, but when it comes to playing them I lack the skills necessary to overcome the more difficult challenges they may throw at me D: If that makes any sense :P

So far The Last of Us on Easy is perfect for me, and most games I play with a Normal difficulty are too hard for me to complete 100%, if that gives a good gauge :P
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
#5MikeugamePosted 7/12/2013 5:35:12 PM
blackwaltz3 posted...
I had bought the disc version when it was released and the sound was awful. So bad that I was not enjoying playing it. I don't know if the digital version suffers from the same issue but that is the only thing holding me back on this sale.

I personally think all 3 three games are great, but there are better ways to play them.

I got it from the sale and yeah the digital version has sounds issues, with echoing sounds, and it froze my system 10mins in.
---
"PLAY BEAT PLATINUM"
#6badnewsliarPosted 7/12/2013 6:31:42 PM
Swan3624 posted...
Thank you for your responses :)

Now that I'm out of that phase of being sad about Ubisoft changing the direction of the series in Warrior Within, I'm sure I'll be able to appreciate and respect it much more!

Hm, the glitches in sound don't inspire confidence, especially in the digital game form. :( What kinds of sound glitches were happening?

Also, from your experiences, how difficult are the games? I would consider myself a hardcore gamer with a casual mentality, meaning I play a ton of games and know a lot about them, but when it comes to playing them I lack the skills necessary to overcome the more difficult challenges they may throw at me D: If that makes any sense :P

So far The Last of Us on Easy is perfect for me, and most games I play with a Normal difficulty are too hard for me to complete 100%, if that gives a good gauge :P

The sound isn't really glitched, it's just that alot of the important dialogue in cutscenes is really low, and then it's just louder for some parts. Other times, it just sounds like it gets echoed in a long hallway, and it's not good. It's worth the $8 just for SoT, IMO. I played some of WW but never finished, and never got around to T2T, only reasons being I was in college and borrowed them. Really should have picked them up then, but the rereleases are just fine.
---
http://gifsoup.com/view4/1086479/alex-wright-dancing-o.gif
#7Swan3624(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 6:39:30 PM
badnewsliar posted...
The sound isn't really glitched, it's just that alot of the important dialogue in cutscenes is really low, and then it's just louder for some parts. Other times, it just sounds like it gets echoed in a long hallway, and it's not good. It's worth the $8 just for SoT, IMO. I played some of WW but never finished, and never got around to T2T, only reasons being I was in college and borrowed them. Really should have picked them up then, but the rereleases are just fine.

Okay, I see now. Are there Subtitles at least?
---
#8badnewsliarPosted 7/15/2013 7:00:22 PM
Not sure, I never checked to turn them on, I just dealt with the sound as is.
---
http://gifsoup.com/view4/1086479/alex-wright-dancing-o.gif
#9jameswintertonPosted 7/15/2013 7:09:09 PM
Swan3624 posted...
badnewsliar posted...

Okay, I see now. Are there Subtitles at least?

No subs in SoT, but i haven't come across sound glitches yet.
---
psn: jrwinterton
#10MikeugamePosted 7/16/2013 10:45:48 PM
Also I've been getting a infinite black screen when starting game up.
---
"PLAY BEAT PLATINUM"