This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FF12 and FF13

#1eagles5343Posted 7/13/2013 3:43:32 PM
You know, I have never played either of the games because I am not usually a big fan of a.i-controlled partners. Does anyone know if the a.i partners handle themselves at least as good as or better than dragon's dogma? If so, then I might consider buying them.

Also, I heard FF13 is quite linear--is it as bad a concept as FF veterans make it out to be?

Thanks for your input homies.
#2eagles5343(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 4:05:16 PM
Bump

Anyone? :/
#3AlltraPosted 7/13/2013 4:10:05 PM(edited)
FFXII has one of the best AI control systems I've ever seen. You can micromanage their AI down to the minutest of details, and have almost complete control over your characters the entire time.

FFXIII, you really only have control over your Party Leader, and a small amount of indirect control over your other party members via Paradigms, which are basically just job switches that effect what skills they can use in general. Every character has a preset AI that has it's own preset preferences for skill use. In addition, each character has their own predefined "Roles", and while they can eventually learn to use skills from other roles, they don't gain access to every single ability or trait within that role.
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#4RGPanznerPosted 7/13/2013 4:11:06 PM
FFXII makes use of the gambit system which helps control your AI partners. If setup properly they can become unstoppable.

FFXIII: I liked more then XII just cause I wasn't a big fan of FFXII other then fighting Gilgamesh again :). Not to say XIII didn't have its issues with me like beating the game in 45 hrs give or take and spending the next 50-60 grinding for trophies.
---
XBL GT: Hippeus Omega
PSN ID: HippeusOmega
#5Skull007o_OPosted 7/13/2013 4:12:01 PM
Gambits in FFXII are pretty cool... besides, you can give direct orders in case something goes wrong
#6servb0tsPosted 7/13/2013 4:13:14 PM
Not counting FFXI, but FFXII has the biggest single player freedom to explore an amazing battle system. FFXII also has fun hunts, mini-games and Beastiary of over 200 notorious monsters.

FFXIII just has graphics & music, nothing more, with repetitive Fight, Movie, Fight, Movie, 90% of the game. and the silly Game Over if Leader dies rule always implied 100% of the game.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P MML3
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar
#7eagles5343(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 4:14:24 PM
Thanks for the input, guys.

Also, what are your stances on FF13's linearity that I keep hearing about?
#8RGPanznerPosted 7/13/2013 4:20:23 PM(edited)
eagles5343 posted...

FF13 is severely linear. Your pretty much stuck on a set path till you get on Gran Pulse. Which is like 3/4 of the game through. Even then you don't have the freedom to go very far unlike FFXII.

Edit: To be honest if I were to play through FFXII again I'd probably enjoy it more then FFXIII.

Basically get FFXII if you want FFXI in SP format which is probably true freedom or FFXIII which requires you to grind non-stop to fight bosses as well as do trophies if you care about those.
---
XBL GT: Hippeus Omega
PSN ID: HippeusOmega
#9OracleGunnerPosted 7/13/2013 4:27:24 PM
eagles5343 posted...

Its very linear, you can explore a bit but its not that big, you cant choose your party for quite a while and the game gives you the paradigms at a bad pace IMO. But once you get to gran Pulse its quite huge and open. But its one area and for all the grinding you had to do to get there and all the grinding you will do there its not that good.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle that Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. ppl who got it:2
The official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.
#10eagles5343(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 4:30:47 PM
Alright thanks for everything. I'll probably buy FF12 and FF13 in the near future then. :)