This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FF12 and FF13

#21servb0tsPosted 7/13/2013 9:41:12 PM
eagles5343 posted...
Thanks for the up input on linearity, guys.

Actually I do have 1 further question--I have not exactly tried ps3 backward compatibility via disc. If I get FF12, can I just pop the cd in and play? I remember my ps2 having "disc read error" when trying to play ps1 games, and I am wondering if something similar happens when one tries to play ps2 discs on ps3.

only PS2 B/C Fatty PS3 can play it TC.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P MML3
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar
#22eagles5343(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 9:42:32 PM
servb0ts posted...
eagles5343 posted...
Thanks for the up input on linearity, guys.

Actually I do have 1 further question--I have not exactly tried ps3 backward compatibility via disc. If I get FF12, can I just pop the cd in and play? I remember my ps2 having "disc read error" when trying to play ps1 games, and I am wondering if something similar happens when one tries to play ps2 discs on ps3.

only PS2 B/C Fatty PS3 can play it TC.

Awesome. Thanks lol
#23mmpepsiPosted 7/13/2013 9:44:08 PM
In FFXIII you do control your other two party members through the paradigms you set up. The battle system was created so that in a way you're controlling all three at once without slowing anything down.
#24eagles5343(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 9:49:39 PM
mmpepsi posted...
In FFXIII you do control your other two party members through the paradigms you set up. The battle system was created so that in a way you're controlling all three at once without slowing anything down.

That's nice--hopefully it is fun. I do think there is a lot of good in the direction FF series is going, even though I am sure there are many who will disagree. :/
#25vind3dPosted 7/13/2013 10:02:58 PM
eagles5343 posted...
... Does anyone know if the a.i partners handle themselves at least as good as or better than dragon's dogma? ...

I wish I could control my mages in DD as well as I could control them in FFXII. I had a blast playing FFXII. The gambits were like this on your healer, if a party members health goes below 40% cast healing spell. If a party member is poisoned, cast spell to remove poison. In DD I can spam the request help on the + pad and my stupid mages just stand around saying the same thing for the 100th time. >.<
Also there is a optional boss battle in FFXII that, iirc takes a RL 12 hours to beat. And you can exit the battle and save, quit game, load save and continue.
---
My favorite app is still the Mute button on my TV's remote.
#26mmpepsiPosted 7/13/2013 10:10:13 PM
eagles5343 posted...
mmpepsi posted...

That's nice--hopefully it is fun. I do think there is a lot of good in the direction FF series is going, even though I am sure there are many who will disagree. :/

There are a lot of people who hate just for the sake of hating. If you're interested, which it seems like you are give XIII a shot for yourself and don't let the naysayers talk you out of it.
#27AlltraPosted 7/13/2013 10:14:14 PM
Astroshak posted...
I suspect the reason people hate FF13's linearity is the way that the game almost rubs your face in it.

Every single FF, almost every single RPG, is almost as linear as the original NES Contra. Most FF's, however, obscure that linearity by presenting people with the option of doing things before proceeding to the next point that advances the game. It is exceedingly rare that you are given multiple objectives and the freedom to choose what order you do them in - or a choice that changes the course of the game to something completely different - but those are the only real ways a game can be non-linear.

FF1, if you know what you are doing, going and getting the canoe and a class change before hitting the Volcano is about the limit of its nonlinearity. The rest of the FF's are as linear, if not moreso.

FF13, though, in addition to being as linear as any other FF, does nothing to obscure it. No overworld, no side-quests (until you reach some 75% or so into the game), and what amounts to a Point of No Return about 98% of the time after something story related happens.

The PoNR's, and the lack of side stuff to embark upon are the reasons people carp on FF13's linearity, I believe. Its not the actual linearity they object to - they never objected to any previous FF's linearity - they just get too enraged by it to think well enough to put together a cogent thought beyond "too linear".

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. People just erroneously use the term "Linear" because they can't articulate how they really feel.
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#28eagles5343(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 12:16:56 AM
vind3d posted...
eagles5343 posted...
... Does anyone know if the a.i partners handle themselves at least as good as or better than dragon's dogma? ...

I wish I could control my mages in DD as well as I could control them in FFXII. I had a blast playing FFXII. The gambits were like this on your healer, if a party members health goes below 40% cast healing spell. If a party member is poisoned, cast spell to remove poison. In DD I can spam the request help on the + pad and my stupid mages just stand around saying the same thing for the 100th time. >.<
Also there is a optional boss battle in FFXII that, iirc takes a RL 12 hours to beat. And you can exit the battle and save, quit game, load save and continue.

Great. This DD comparison was something I was looking for. Your description does make it seem that FFXII has better A.I partner controls. Thanks for the info.

mmpepsi posted...
eagles5343 posted...
mmpepsi posted...

There are a lot of people who hate just for the sake of hating. If you're interested, which it seems like you are give XIII a shot for yourself and don't let the naysayers talk you out of it.

Yeah definitely.

In any case, thanks everyone for your input.