This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember when Mega Man was meant for hardcore gamers?

#11archizzyPosted 7/13/2013 11:24:52 PM
Syko_Darksyde posted...
Bitentili posted...
Since when where they marketed to the "hardcore" gamers?

The original Mega Man games were a lot easier and fairer than a lot of the other games coming out in that time period.

lol you probably didn't grow up during the NES days. Wrapping Mega Man put you in the 'elite' group. You probably play Mega Man X or some crap (the very thing I am complaining about).

I tend to agree with him. While the first Megaman had a decent challenge in some areas towards the end it baffles me when I see so many people claim the 2nd game was hard as I thought it was pretty easy and a major step down in challenge.

But even the first game wasn't in the same tier as Ninja Gaiden, Blaster Master, TMNT, BattleToads, Festers Quest, on and on and on.

Been playing games since 1980 and while I loved Mega Man from the get go I didn't think it was in the upper tier of hard NES games. I can't speak for the titles that came later since I never played them.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#12BitentiliPosted 7/13/2013 11:26:40 PM
Final_Tran posted...
Bitentili posted...
Syko_Darksyde posted...
Bitentili posted...
Since when where they marketed to the "hardcore" gamers?

The original Mega Man games were a lot easier and fairer than a lot of the other games coming out in that time period.

lol you probably didn't grow up during the NES days. Wrapping Mega Man put you in the 'elite' group. You probably play Mega Man X or some crap (the very thing I am complaining about).

My family kept a generation behind to keep costs down. I played my NES with my Mega Man, Contra, Top Gun, Ghosts n Goblins, Mario 1 and 3, etc.

Mega man was by far the most fair out of all those games.

Mario is much more fair than Mega Man

Going through Mario without level skips is a different kind of challenge than Mega Man.
Mega Man which has a few difficult platforming parts... but Mario without level skips is like a freakin' Marathon. At least playing through the main levels of Mega Man a few times you can kind of formulate a strategy of which order to go through. With level skips of course Mario becomes a cake-walk.
---
Not changing this signature until I can think of something better to put as a signature. Started March 20, 2011
#13SigmaHacielPosted 7/13/2013 11:27:21 PM
And you can stop bringing up cheap-hard games as any kind of argument.Thanks.
---
Don't like my opinion? Gosick. There is a reason it is MY opinion and not yours.
#14BitentiliPosted 7/13/2013 11:33:22 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...

They are valid examples of games I owned at the time that were harder than Mega Man.

You can take that stick out of your ass.
---
Not changing this signature until I can think of something better to put as a signature. Started March 20, 2011
#15SigmaHacielPosted 7/13/2013 11:34:20 PM
Bitentili posted...
SigmaHaciel posted...

They are valid examples of games I owned at the time that were harder than Mega Man.

And you can place it back up yours.

They are examples of HARD games in a type of hard that is vastly different from MM.
---
Don't like my opinion? Gosick. There is a reason it is MY opinion and not yours.
#16BitentiliPosted 7/13/2013 11:38:59 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Bitentili posted...
SigmaHaciel posted...

And you can place it back up yours.

They are examples of HARD games in a type of hard that is vastly different from MM.

Which does nothing to disprove my original point.

"The original Mega Man games were a lot easier and fairer than a lot of the other games coming out in that time period."

Never did I say "The original Mega Man games were a lot easier and fairer than a lot of the other games coming out in that time period within the same type of difficulty" If the games that I mentioned were the same type of difficulty, I'd have no grounds to say that they were harder or easier.
---
#17SigmaHacielPosted 7/13/2013 11:41:12 PM
Everyone knows harder games exist on the NES because there are a handful of games that are balls hard because of HEINOUS designs.

So those don't work as arguments for MM being "easy". That is effectively being hurrdurr all over the place. Clean up your mess.
---
#18red eye dragoonPosted 7/13/2013 11:48:55 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Everyone knows harder games exist on the NES because there are a handful of games that are balls hard because of HEINOUS designs.

So those don't work as arguments for MM being "easy". That is effectively being hurrdurr all over the place. Clean up your mess.

This^^^ Megaman was a great challenge because of design, most NES games were just designed terribly which resulted in super high difficulty which is why Megaman, Mario, castlevania, metroid, Kirby etc all remain a staple in gaming. They weren't trying to be super damn difficult like 70% of the NES library.
---
PSN & Nintendo ID: Kenshin5435
3DS FC: 5284-1505-0107
#19BitentiliPosted 7/13/2013 11:49:36 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...

I don't have to clean up anything.

You want examples of well designed games that are still harder than Mega Man?

The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania, Metroid.
---
#20singhellotakuPosted 7/14/2013 12:01:10 AM
mega man was never meant for hardcore gamers, nes games were just really hard, and mega man games really weren't any harder than anything else in that era