This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are some games considered to be niche, while other games are more popular?

#1cheatermasterPosted 7/17/2013 9:56:39 PM
I can't help but notice that people claim a number of games and even some game series are more niche compared to games and some games series that are way more popular. Why is that some games are niche, even to the point of having a very small fanbase, yet other games have gotten a really large fanbase? I mean like jrpg games for example. People claim they are niche compared to all the more popular games. You would think the so called niche games would have a bigger fanbase or something.
#2AlltraPosted 7/17/2013 9:58:47 PM
If you ask me, Niche is just a polite and/or nice way of saying "Generally unappealing".

It's basically just a game that doesn't have mass appeal. Everything is appealing to somebody, but some things are more appealing to more people.

I couldn't even begin to tell you why that is though.
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#3VarronPosted 7/17/2013 10:28:52 PM
NIS games are considered niche because I and a good majority of gamers don't care too much for their games. They cater only to fans of a specific genre of anime.
---
PSN: Snippuh
#4SigmaHacielPosted 7/17/2013 10:42:18 PM
Alltra posted...
If you ask me, Niche is just a polite and/or nice way of saying "Generally unappealing".

It's basically just a game that doesn't have mass appeal. Everything is appealing to somebody, but some things are more appealing to more people.

I couldn't even begin to tell you why that is though.

This makes sense.

"Niche" is just the label for "the masses don't care about you! nyeh!"
---
Don't like my opinion? Gosick. There is a reason it is MY opinion and not yours.
#5SpurnerPosted 7/17/2013 10:49:20 PM
Niche means focused, as in targeting a particular audience.

The opposite would be general, targeting a broader (more popular) audience.
#6LightbornePosted 7/17/2013 10:52:28 PM
cheatermaster posted...
I can't help but notice that people claim a number of games and even some game series are more niche compared to games and some games series that are way more popular. Why is that some games are niche, even to the point of having a very small fanbase, yet other games have gotten a really large fanbase? I mean like jrpg games for example. People claim they are niche compared to all the more popular games. You would think the so called niche games would have a bigger fanbase or something.

People follow mainstream because they don't think for themselves and there guilible with mainstream review sites. But I believe this is changing more and more are appreciating indie games. But keep in mind more casuals then real gamers and they usually stick with mainstream games.
#7DotsAndLinesPosted 7/17/2013 10:55:15 PM
Sales determine what's niche and what's mainstream.
---
WARNING: This post may contain OPINIONS. Opinions that may differ from yours. Do not read if you are unable to handle it with maturity.
#8SpurnerPosted 7/17/2013 11:07:37 PM
Lightborne posted...
People follow mainstream because they don't think for themselves and there guilible with mainstream review sites. But I believe this is changing more and more are appreciating indie games. But keep in mind more casuals then real gamers and they usually stick with mainstream games.

I doubt most even spend much time on review sites. I work with a lot of people who play the high-profile/mainstream games. They don't have the time to frequent the sites. They are working, doing the family thing, and then knocking out a few hours of *insert game here*.

If that's what they dig, more power to them. Let them enjoy theirs, and I'll enjoy mine.
#9SieKensouPosted 7/17/2013 11:16:43 PM
Spurner posted...
Niche means focused, as in targeting a particular audience.

The opposite would be general, targeting a broader (more popular) audience.

---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#10AshleyRiot223Posted 7/19/2013 5:01:41 PM
DotsAndLines posted...
Sales determine what's niche and what's mainstream.

Truth in all its light.
---
"I, too, have played my part. Let us leave the rest to this Ashley. He is the one you have chosen. ...I know what must be done." Duke Aldous Bardorba