This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Final Fantasy XIII is an example of a game that shows SE is stuggling

#1docman864Posted 7/18/2013 12:02:35 PM
with this generation. From the looks of FFXIII-3, it just seems like a solo rpg this time around. They say they are trying new things experimenting with new ways, but it seems like SE staffs are still struggling to get used to this HD generation. Did they run out of ideas or do they simply lack people with necessary skills to adapt? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying FFXIII-3 is going to be bad as it may still impress gamers. It's just that I've been bothered by the comment FFXIV producer made not long ago in regards to the difficulties they will face for next gen.
---
if you don't play this game, you ARE part of the f***ing problem.
#2SigmaHacielPosted 7/18/2013 12:04:21 PM
Considering how failed the "party" mechanic was in the other two 13 games, 13-3 being largely solo and a HUGE Valk Profile rip-off makes sense.

Then again, it is a VP rip-off....I'd rather have VP3.
---
Don't like my opinion? Gosick. There is a reason it is MY opinion and not yours.
#3SieKensouPosted 7/18/2013 12:05:47 PM
Go Play Type-0
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#4docman864(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 12:08:38 PM(edited)
SieKensou posted...
Go Play Type-0

You really missed my point. We're talking about developers struggling to get used the HD generation. Didn't Sagakuchi also made a similar comment in regards to HD?
---
#5AssaultMonkey9Posted 7/18/2013 12:09:45 PM
Let's be honest, the last great FF game was 10. FF12 I enjoyed the new gameplay and was unique to have the strategy behind fights be how you set up your gambits, but the story was abysmal and was clear that it had several directors come and go.

JRPGs in the HD era have been very weak overall, with obvious exceptions being Ni No Kuni, Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia
---
Now Playing: Ni No Kuni, Dead Space 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, AC3
PSN: AssaultMonkey150
#6SigmaHacielPosted 7/18/2013 12:09:58 PM
I don't get your definition of "struggling" then considering 13 has looked AMAZING the whole time. It just executes like a bicyclist running into a fat girl's ass.
---
Don't like my opinion? Gosick. There is a reason it is MY opinion and not yours.
#7Devilman_AmonPosted 7/18/2013 12:15:33 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
. It just executes like a bicyclist running into a fat girl's ass.

That seems like a definition of a struggling situation....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#8fusespliffPosted 7/18/2013 12:18:30 PM(edited)
No, they are still trying to turn a decent profit out of XIII's development. They wasted a year (or was it 2?) developing an engine for a console that was running on its last legs. That alone cost millions of dollars. Then they developed the new engine for PS3. On top of that came the development of XIII itself.
Now FFXIII sold as well as an FF should sell, but the cost of developing an engine is immense. So they're trying to get everything they can out of it before it's time for the PS4. Having the FFXIII series is easy because they can re-use (and use what they didn't the previous game) a lot of things.
Then there is also the myth that was once known as Versus, I can imagine the development of that sucking up money like hell.
To try and make up for that fiasco, they're taking the easy way out. Cuts development costs and time, maximises profit.

EDIT: Also, don't be bothered by statements SE makes. These are the people who said 3.4 million copies of Tomb Raider sold was dissapointing.
---
DCUO- Robin2099 EU PS3 Server
#9docman864(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 12:18:34 PM(edited)
SigmaHaciel posted...
I don't get your definition of "struggling" then considering 13 has looked AMAZING the whole time. It just executes like a bicyclist running into a fat girl's ass.

I am not talking about how the game looks. I guess it's based on one of the interviews I've read where they were talking about design choices. They felt that they couldn't just stick to the traditional ways alone, but figuring a way out on how to make it seem refreshing on HD platforms is easier said than done. You have worry about updating the visuals which they have no trouble doing, but you also have to worry about many other other things such as "exploration." Creating an open world for jrpgs has become a huge challenge for Japanese developers.
---
#10theshovellerPosted 7/18/2013 12:17:51 PM
AssaultMonkey9 posted...
Let's be honest, the last great FF game was 10.

I hated 10 with a seething, burning, itch-you-can't-scratch passion. Didn't like the premise or the characters, and parts of the world didn't appeal to me much.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!