This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is Heavy Rain critically acclaimed?

#1mahgah91Posted 7/18/2013 12:12:13 PM
Just finished prologue, holy s*** bad writing, mediocre voice acting (straight up terrible at parts), awkward animation for what the game is trying to be, etc.

Jason acted like a 6 year old, not a ten year old, emotional moments are completely forced and written by a guy who doesn't see, to know how real families react.
---
3DS FC: 4871-3786-7598
#2ISquat600lbsPosted 7/18/2013 12:17:31 PM
Bad writing, bad characters (Mad Dog has to be the worst), plot holes, apparently some spooky stuff that made no sense had to be cut from the game close to it being finished which made it make even less sense. It's a bad game.

It's a bad game BUT it had a lot of money thrown at it. A lot of money. Money thrown at marketing it too. People are stupid, they'll buy and enjoy any farty turd if the marketing is good enough and the general response is good.
---
Most of the time I'm riding bicycles and on a lot of Colombian marching powder and coffee, forgive me if I act like an #%$hole. Or not, IDC.
#3VigilantStevePosted 7/18/2013 12:18:03 PM
Because the game as a whole, while flawed, was excellent and very different from 99% of other games that come out these days.
#4theshovellerPosted 7/18/2013 12:20:08 PM
And this is why that old adage of "one man's trash is another man's treasure" comes into play. You don't like it, but other people do.

To answer your question of "why is it critically acclaimed," it's because people liked it - namely critics, who had much acclaim for it.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#5Bloodlines1191Posted 7/18/2013 12:21:07 PM
ISquat600lbs posted...
Bad writing, bad characters (Mad Dog has to be the worst), plot holes, apparently some spooky stuff that made no sense had to be cut from the game close to it being finished which made it make even less sense. It's a bad game.

It's a bad game BUT it had a lot of money thrown at it. A lot of money. Money thrown at marketing it too. People are stupid, they'll buy and enjoy any farty turd if the marketing is good enough and the general response is good.

Wrong. Marketing was only heavy online and in mags. Not widespread.

VigilantSteve posted...
Because the game as a whole, while flawed, was excellent and very different from 99% of other games that come out these days.

This basically.
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#6lambchipsPosted 7/18/2013 12:21:26 PM
its a movie game, what did you expect?
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#7dacekidPosted 7/18/2013 12:25:02 PM
So you guys happily bash Heavy Rain but praise Journey?
---
Here lies the graves of gamefaq users pwn'd by dacekid. May they rest in peace: RyuuHou25
#8AnonUnknownPosted 7/18/2013 12:25:11 PM
Because Press X to Jason.
#9Bloodlines1191Posted 7/18/2013 12:26:19 PM
lambchips posted...
its a movie game, what did you expect?

Damn! I forgot how bad the Heavy Rain bashing there is. This isn't good.
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#10Dicer7Posted 7/18/2013 12:27:48 PM
VigilantSteve posted...

Exactly. I will support Beyond: Two Souls as well for the same reason.