This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

God of War dev is mad about used games

#71VigilantStevePosted 7/23/2013 10:22:52 AM(edited)
sinyx posted...
I get the issue and understand his point. If this is what he wants then the following must be understood:

Not every game made is worth $60 dollars, some brand new games should only be $20 at best if this is what you want. To charge $60 for a game that in no way warrants that price will keep the used market alive. Castle Crashers proves you don't need to charge huge amounts to be successful. Along with Farcry 3: Blood Dragon which had excellent production values, solid game play, and was only $15. I enjoyed it throughly and recommend it.

That being said it wasn't a $60 game and Ubisoft recognized and understood that. Devs and production companies need to understand this too or you go just like all the other dev studios that have been shutting down.

But what makes a "$60 game" in the first place though? It's not really a simple answer.

A lot of people here seem to think that it should be game length, which I 100% disagree with, and if that's the case then developers would just unnecessarily pad a games length with filler. I've played games that are 6 hours long that I feel are easily worth $60, while I've played games that I've put dozens of hours into and felt like I've overpaid.

I don't inherently disagree with your point though.
#72SixStringHeroPosted 7/23/2013 11:02:52 AM(edited)
I don't understand why developers complain about used games. First off the they are paid a wage during development of the game, they don't work for chicken feed and then get paid once the sales figures come in. The publisher is the one who funds the developers and the actual game.

Publishers have zero right to complain as they have already profited from the initial sale of the game. The publisher profits when their game is shipped to the retailer. You cannot lose money on a used game, it's inherently impossible due to the initial profit made.

When publishers take on the risk of buying and selling used games such as Gamestop, then they can start to complain. Until then, they are not entitled to another cent from second hand sales. Used games have been part of the ecology of gaming since it's inception.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
#73Flare1721Posted 7/23/2013 11:06:34 AM
If you played since the first game you should all know by GoW3 or the 5th game in the series that how long the games usually run. I had no problem paying $60 for GoW3 and I played thru it 3 times to Plat it.
---
Xemnas - Best Final Boss Ever - KH2, We Want Mega Man Legends 3!
PSN: Strife1721 Boston Bruins thank you for a hard fought season!
#74PraetorXynPosted 7/23/2013 11:33:55 AM
JerichoDarkstar posted...
_Perfectionist posted...
I 100% agree with him.
Gamestop needs to give %50 of the revenue.

So, if you trade in your car, you need to give the original manufacturer 50% of how much money you made?

Assuming the dealer was going to sell it at 91.6 % (55/60) of the car's "brand new" value, I would assume something needed to be done to counterbalance that.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#75xADxPosted 7/23/2013 11:45:57 AM
I walked into a GameStop, asked for a new copy of a game and without telling me [the store clerk] tried to slip me a used copy and wanted to sell it to me for $5 less,

Is it to hard to tell the sales clerk you want a new game factory sealed?

Is it to hard to check the product yourself to make sure the game is brand new?

And if you do not like the retailer is doing, there is no other retailers out there that sell games as well?

Developers are shooting themselves in the foot when they give these stupid interviews when they do not talk about a product they are trying to SELL to the general population, but other crap that the community really does not care about at all.
#76ish0turfac3Posted 7/23/2013 12:30:24 PM
God of war sucks anyway
---
GT: ish0turfac3 - Nintendo ID: ish0turfac3 - Steam ID: ish0turfac3
Playstation ID: ueffingsrs (Feel free to add me on either of these)