This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games becoming interactive movies

#1SMRPGFAN101Posted 7/23/2013 3:47:55 PM
I really don't know what to think of this criticism. I keep hearing it. My favourite genres are platformers, adventure games, and JRPGs. I tend to get bored playing first-person and third-person shooters, but enjoy watching them, vice-versa with JRPGs. Sidescrolling shoot-em'-ups are nice though.

JRPGs are known for fairly repetitive gameplay. Gameplay (grinding, stat management, item/equipment management, dungeon crawling, fighting, bosses) and then story done through scenes whether it be text on screen being read or cutscenes (Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X and beyond)

I'm noticing shooters and other genres doing this as well with gameplay to story, gameplay to story until the end of the game.

I'm just finding scenes in games to get more and more cinematic and trying to emulate Hollywood films. The big reason I liked things before cinematics took over was because the way things used to be done kept games different from movies. I just dislike how game developers keep looking up to movies as the greatest art-form out there when we can do so much more with games.

I really don't know how to think of this and even feel like I was making incoherent thoughts typing that out. I just feel like something is being lost as we go further along with console generations.

Anyone have any other opinions.
---
A game about nothing... For some reason a "Seinfeld" game wouldn't work for me... or anyone else for that matter.
#2SMRPGFAN101(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 3:58:09 PM
Bump
---
A game about nothing... For some reason a "Seinfeld" game wouldn't work for me... or anyone else for that matter.
#3CrimsonGear80Posted 7/23/2013 4:02:31 PM
I really don't know what to think of this criticism.

it's stupid and anyone with half a brain won't take it seriously.
---
Glad DmC shipped a million copies and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#4Zack_Attackv1Posted 7/23/2013 4:02:59 PM
Haha, you had to bump this tripe.
---
\V/ e n u s i a n Empowerment!
http://i.imgur.com/lLp95sF.jpg http://i.imgur.com/aIiEv42.jpg
#5stawg007Posted 7/23/2013 4:04:35 PM
I don't mind heavily cinematic games as long as there is good gameplay and there's a respectable length to it

MGS is my favourite series ever and its very cinematic but the gameplay has always been top notch, has a lengthy first play through as all four main games have taken me between 15 and 21 hours and have plenty of replay value after that

Games like the soon to be released Beyond, no, just no, the gameplay looks so pathetic it doesn't even deserve to be called gameplay
---
lPayneToTheMaxl
#6jordyboy1000Posted 7/23/2013 4:04:45 PM
For every Heavy Rain, there's a Dark Souls.

I'm glad games are evolving and some of my favourite games are those that people may consider "interactive movies" however it's good to know that if I want to play a game with more gameplay that it's still a choice.
---
Psn: jordyboy1000
Fc: 4038-7250-2210
#7boring_namePosted 7/23/2013 4:06:07 PM
How about people's opinions on movies becoming non-interactive games? That would be a fresh take.
#8riddlebox89Posted 7/23/2013 4:13:30 PM
Games aren't becoming interactive movies, they've always been interactive movies since that's what a video game is by the definition of the term.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#9agrissaPosted 7/23/2013 4:20:42 PM
I find this trend quite sad. Interactive movies caters to the casuals while gamers who actually want good gameplay gets left in the dust. Unfortunately this stuff actually sells and markets well to the shallow masses, so we keep seeing them pop up. It wouldn't be so bad if the movies were original, but they aren't. They are just cliched Hollywood stuff. If I want to see a movie, I'll go to the theatre.

To devs: Keep your f***ing movies out of my games plz.
---
DMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DmC
#10AnonUnknownPosted 7/23/2013 4:22:21 PM
Oh no, the cancer has returned.