This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games becoming interactive movies

#21MourningReignsPosted 7/23/2013 5:16:19 PM
If you want a focus on gameplay, go to Nintendo. Problem is, the Wii-U doesn't have squat for games right now, so we are stuck with what we got
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#22agrissaPosted 7/23/2013 5:19:14 PM
MourningReigns posted...
If you want a focus on gameplay, go to Nintendo. Problem is, the Wii-U doesn't have squat for games right now, so we are stuck with what we got

See that's another problem. Nintendo usually delivers on the gameplay front, but they have certainly been taking their time doing it these years. Furthermore since the Wii they have also been focusing on catering to the casual masses and non-gamers with their motion control gimmicks, leading to mountains of shovelware. The motion control cancer has also invaded classics such as Donkey Kong country and Legend of Zelda.
---
DMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DmC
#23Half-GhostPosted 7/23/2013 5:23:21 PM
I think it's a stupid complaint. It's hard to take those people seriously cause they usually sound so ignorant.
#24Battleship_GrayPosted 7/23/2013 5:25:34 PM
agrissa posted...

Believe me

No. You're completely unable to provide specifics, definitions, or examples to support your claim and specifically side-stepped the opportunity to do so. You're relying on empty and meaningless platitudes such as "troll" and "real game" and "interactive movie" coupled with bog-standard nostalgia and mealy-mouthed insults on the sly.

Furthermore if you "know about" the thousands of games released this gen and can't find anything you like, then you aren't a gamer. There is variety. There is creativity. There is originality. Examples can be shown to support this. Even when pointed to indie games, several of which are 4-6 hours, which is more than or equal to some of the most beloved games of the NES and SNES era you say they're "overrated." You just don't like games, that's fine, but why are you here? There are retro boards where you can reminisce about the old favorites to your heart's content.

Lastly, you also don't know what "backpedal" means. I clarified my point, providing specific examples for support. You've specified or clarified nothing. Your argument is pretty empty, vague and unformed in my opinion.
---
http://e-carpenter.tumblr.com/
PSN/XBL: Citizen Soldat
#25MourningReignsPosted 7/23/2013 5:26:58 PM
agrissa posted...
MourningReigns posted...

See that's another problem. Nintendo usually delivers on the gameplay front, but they have certainly been taking their time doing it these years. Furthermore since the Wii they have also been focusing on catering to the casual masses and non-gamers with their motion control gimmicks, leading to mountains of shovelware. The motion control cancer has also invaded classics such as Donkey Kong country and Legend of Zelda.

I'll say, for the most part, Nintendo did pretty well last gen keeping the motion control to a minimal in their first party games. Mario Galaxy only used it to spin and point, Smash Bros & Mario Kart didn't require it (I actually liked it for MK) and Twilight Princess was okay too.

I didn't care for it at all in Skyward Sword, it didn't work correctly all the time, but I also didn't care much for the game. Just repetitive and tedious. I had to force my way through it.

Luckily, with the gamepad, the motion controls aren't at the forefront if Nintendo gets it's act together...but I agree it's taking them forever to put a game out, but they've been that way since the jump to 3D. I remember opening every Nintendo Power to see the date of Ocarina of Time to always see it being pushed back.

Back on the PS3, I'll say my favorite games this gen have basically lacked any story, or at least it didn't intrude into the game. MAG, Warhawk, Dark Souls, Rayman Origins, and Bionic Commando Rearmed...I can't think of many others right now on the PS3, just because these are not the mega AAA titles that always come to mind.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#26agrissaPosted 7/23/2013 5:34:13 PM
Battleship_Gray posted...
agrissa posted...

Believe me

No. You're completely unable to provide specifics, definitions, or examples to support your claim and specifically side-stepped the opportunity to do so. You're relying on empty and meaningless platitudes such as "troll" and "real game" and "interactive movie" coupled with bog-standard nostalgia and mealy-mouthed insults on the sly.

Furthermore if you "know about" the thousands of games released this gen and can't find anything you like, then you aren't a gamer. There is variety. There is creativity. There is originality. Examples can be shown to support this. Even when pointed to indie games, several of which are 4-6 hours, which is more than or equal to some of the most beloved games of the NES and SNES era you say they're "overrated." You just don't like games, that's fine, but why are you here? There are retro boards where you can reminisce about the old favorites to your heart's content.

Lastly, you also don't know what "backpedal" means. I clarified my point, providing specific examples for support. You've specified or clarified nothing. Your argument is pretty empty, vague and unformed in my opinion.

LOL sounds you are butthurt that I destroyed you yet again. By "clarifying" you admitted your inital statement was false, and had to readjust your position in order to actually have a point. That's backpedaling. Admit it and move on.

Also you are trying to state opinions as facts here as well. You say there is originality, creativity, etc. this gen, just as much as others. That's merely your opinion, and you are in the minority when you say that. Most agree with me: Gaming has gone wayyyyyyyy downhill this gen.

It's funny that you ask me why you are here? This is a gaming message board. I am here to talk about games. Why are you here? You don't even talk about games you just keep bashing other users, which makes you a troll by definition.
---
#27Battleship_GrayPosted 7/23/2013 5:44:40 PM(edited)
I'm trying my hardest to converse with you as if you're an adult but you just can't do it. "LOL" "butthurt"...how can you "destroy" me when you haven't said anything that's supportale by evidence? Just because you call something a "fact" doesn't make it so. Again, facts can be proven and supported, where's your support?

As to the originality, creativity and variety in this generation's games I can provide examples for you if need be (although I'm not sure why I'd have to if you "know all about" the games this generation). Yet you still have yet to provide an accepted and official definition for "interactive movie" or "real game." Why not? You use them every day, don't you know what they mean?

On that subject can you also provide support that "most agree with you?" You have a tendency of using broad, absolute, phrases with not a shred of evidence to support them. It's unseemly.

Lastly you don't talk about games the vast majority of the time, you bash them. I talk plenty about games, click on my name, look at the active messages, and enlighten yourself. Also, where have I bashed you in this conversation? I'm just curious why you post every day about things you don't like as opposed to finding somewhere to talk about the things you do like. I don't know why you're getting so defensive over it.

You however have been insulting me so by your own definition of "troll" you would be one correct?

My opinion that your argument is empty, vague and unformed remains.

I've provided specific examples and support for my argument...you've provided "LOL." Step it up.
---
#28beastwarkingPosted 7/23/2013 5:51:03 PM
agrissa posted...
agrissa posted...

Believe me

LOL sounds you are butthurt that I destroyed you yet again. By "clarifying" you admitted your inital statement was false, and had to readjust your position in order to actually have a point. That's backpedaling. Admit it and move on.

Also you are trying to state opinions as facts here as well. You say there is originality, creativity, etc. this gen, just as much as others. That's merely your opinion, and you are in the minority when you say that. Most agree with me: Gaming has gone wayyyyyyyy downhill this gen.

It's funny that you ask me why you are here? This is a gaming message board. I am here to talk about games. Why are you here? You don't even talk about games you just keep bashing other users, which makes you a troll by definition.

I don't know why I bother, but variety can be quantified and actually proved. We can do this by looking at the number of games represented in each genre to determine the distribution of games and how prevalent each genre is overall. If I remember correctly, Game Informer did this last year and found that TPS Action games were the most prevalent, followed by racing and FPS games. I doubt anyone cares enough to do this, but that statement is in no way an opinion

To a lesser extent, the same is true of Creativity and Originality (assuming you have separate definitions). In the case of creativity, this could be measured based on graphical styles, power ups, weapons, plot, etc. This would be much harder to do, but it could be done.
---
ba-weep-gra-na-weep-ninny-bong
Hail to the king, baby
#29Battleship_GrayPosted 7/23/2013 5:52:59 PM
beastwarking posted...

I don't know why I bother, but variety can be quantified and actually proved. We can do this by looking at the number of games represented in each genre to determine the distribution of games and how prevalent each genre is overall. If I remember correctly, Game Informer did this last year and found that TPS Action games were the most prevalent, followed by racing and FPS games. I doubt anyone cares enough to do this, but that statement is in no way an opinion

To a lesser extent, the same is true of Creativity and Originality (assuming you have separate definitions). In the case of creativity, this could be measured based on graphical styles, power ups, weapons, plot, etc. This would be much harder to do, but it could be done.

My point exactly.
---
#30agrissaPosted 7/23/2013 5:57:34 PM
I'm trying my hardest to converse with you as if you're an adult but you just can't do it.

If you want to be an adult then you should just learn to leave me alone instead of continuing to harass me just because I dare to have different opinions from you.

On that subject can you also provide support that "most agree with you?" You have a tendency of using broad, absolute, phrases with not a shred of evidence to support them. It's unseemly.

This site is more than enough proof that people prefer past gens. You'd have to be delusional to believe otherwise. You can run polls if you'd like.

Lastly you don't talk about games the vast majority of the time, you bash them.

Bashing is still talking about them. Why should this place be solely about praising games? Actually criticisms should be encourage so devs will step up their game stop giving up crap we don't want.

You however have been insulting me

Lies. Where have done this?
---