This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I think I have figured out why JRPG's kinda lost influence this generation.

#1mtjormitchPosted 7/25/2013 4:54:19 PM
Now. This is going to be a step by step list. So I am just going to go strait to the point. Mainly inspired by this post on Neogaf. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72530316&postcount=570

1. Square Enix very nearly destroyed the ENTIRE JRPG industry with their subpar to just plain bad JRPG's they released.

This really does not need explaination. They, the faces of JRPG's as a whole massively bleeped up beyond words. They released Star Ocean 4. A game which made all JRPG's look bad with terrible characters and story along with VA's so horrendus that even a deaf man would go mad from.

They released Infinite undiscovery. A average game no one actually remembers. Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday, a shark jumping franchise murderer in the very same vein as Other M. Front Mission Evolved... seriously? Just... seriously?

I can keep going. They effectively have killed 90% of what they made this gen due to their incredibly moronic ideas and with barely any talent to save them. Even EA hasn't bleeped up this hard in ruining franchises!

Not only that. But whenever they have something amazing up their sleeve they never take advantage of it. The World Ends With You and Nier. If they had actually tried a bit more these games would have been FAR more popular than they were. Instead they didn't even TRY to market them.

That leads me to...

2. They are not marketing them at all anymore.

I want you to tell me the last time you remember seeing a advertisement in a city and or on TV about a JRPG. I just remember two. FF13 about two months before it released and also Lost Odyssey which came out like a year and a half after the 360 or so on a commercial which was not a good one at that.

In fact. When was the last JRPG ad you have seen that was GOOD!

The last one was actually of Catherine funny enough, and it was one of Atlus's best sellers over here! Heck, it even had the budget to actually be put on youtube ads and everything.

Marketing helps sell crap. I think they need to relearn that in marketing school over in Japan because just releasing something without warning and without anyone knowing isn't going to help whatsoever.

Oh, and did you know Nier was released A MONTH after FF13! That is the definition of failing at marketing and scheduling.

3. Companies westernizing and or using the brand name.

Sometimes using a brand name could work. Sometimes westernizing works. Just look at The Last Story for a moment and you can see where it got it's influences from the west.

However. I have never properly seen this done. DMC is known as trash by many and the sales even say so. Konami is nothing more than a joke because of their subpar Silent Hill games made in the west and their HD rereleases are the biggest jokes in the industry in terms of how crap they are.

Seriously, how Konami even exists as we speak is freaking shocking due to how many mistakes they have made. Even EA would have folded by now.

Make games the way you want them and people will come... as long as you market it of course. Oh, and Team Silent needs to band together again.That is the only way to save that franchise.

4. Stop localizing the crap and making it the face of a genre!

Not only has FF13 tainted JRPG's but currently some other ones like Time and Eternity are now the face of current modern era JRPG's to many people anymore. This is a terrible thing. This is like showing that WRPG's to a newcomer by showing them Ultima 9 and Fallout Brotherhood of steel.

Effectively. Stop releasing crap because you can. You are doing nothing but damaging your own profits and reputation as publishers. Heck. Didn't Time and Eternity get voted as worst RPG of the year in Japan?

That is all the characters I got to post with! See ya later!
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#2ShadowedAshPosted 7/25/2013 4:55:54 PM
I blame Call of Duty
#3servb0tsPosted 7/25/2013 5:00:07 PM
Most JRPG's developers catered too teens & young adults so they had a Mind Set what would sell, Regardless of Morals or Replay Value.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P MML3
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar
#4Gamerz_FantasyPosted 7/25/2013 5:08:53 PM
ShadowedAsh posted...
I blame Call of Duty
#5Bleachfreak7Posted 7/25/2013 5:11:48 PM
I dont see why people are saying Square Enix destroyed the jrpg genre. A company doesnt define a genre. Just because they dont make the best games doesnt mean the genre has gone downhill.
---
"Time never waits. It delivers all equally to the same end."
3DS: 3437-3085-0365
#6True_FoeHammerPosted 7/25/2013 5:17:22 PM
Japanese developers in general are going down the tubes because they refuse to evolve, and when they do, they make a game with the worst possible mix of Western and Japanese influences.
#7Jon_MarstenPosted 7/25/2013 5:31:02 PM
Jrpgs lost their influence cause they are crap.
---
Time man of the year: Trevor Phillips.
#8servb0tsPosted 7/25/2013 5:33:47 PM
Jon_Marsten posted...
Jrpgs lost their influence cause they are crap.

I disagree developers just got lazy and greedy this Gen.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P MML3
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar
#9yenmaster1Posted 7/25/2013 5:42:59 PM
I believe it has to do with money. There are more people that buy games in the USA than Japan due to higher population. The Japanese decide to make games more "Western" to sell more games in the USA, as well as Europe. The cost to make games is a lot more than the ps1 generation, so they need more sales to recover costs. The Japanese are trying to get a bigger market share in the west and make games with western audiences in mind more than they ever did before.

Hollywood already does this by releasing blockbusters in internatonal markets a week or 2 before the USA. They already know how they will do sales-wise in the USA and can't grow that market anymore than it already is, but the international market is ripe to make a lot more money.
#10mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2013 5:48:50 PM
Bleachfreak7 posted...
I dont see why people are saying Square Enix destroyed the jrpg genre. A company doesnt define a genre. Just because they dont make the best games doesnt mean the genre has gone downhill.

They single handedly destroyed any and all franchises they had and pushed them over here to hopefully sell just a handful of titles. They literally are the face of JRPG's and are sucking amazingly.

Also. to others, Play SMT4. Devs are going to adults to sell games and are releasing them. Just looking at Hyper deminsional Neptunia is literally looking at a niche of a niche of a niche.

Also, SMT4 is easily the best game on the 3DS. Incredible game. Not even close being crap like that other guy said.

Another thing is that JRPG's always change, that even includes FF13 and the rest of the FF franchise. Really, it's hard to find a JRPG with the same damn gameplay constantly throughout a JRPG series. It is always changed up and different. FF1 does not even closely resemble 13.

Funny enough. JRPG's are more creative than western games hilariously.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.