This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Phil Fish (and Jonathan Blow)'s Controversial Views on Japanese Games.

#1UltimatesTruthPosted 7/31/2013 1:00:51 AM
I feel sorry for these indie developers, first, they make fun out of Japanese games and how they're made for idiots, yet they're INDIE games developers.
and even worse, after this video got viral, they asked for the uploader to remove it.

here's the video, reuploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgUEtBnjzb4

Discuss, are you willing to support these people's next indie games?
#2Junpei_StupeiPosted 7/31/2013 1:05:13 AM
Jonathan Blow sucks.

End of story.

How DARE he....

---
I bought the wrong console this gen.
#3Junpei_StupeiPosted 7/31/2013 1:08:13 AM
Poor guy...

I feel so bad for the Japanese dude. It's like he's being bullied.

*cries*...

This is abuse I tell you. ABUSE.

---
I bought the wrong console this gen.
#4DarkSymbiotePosted 7/31/2013 1:11:04 AM
They're not wrong at all. It's Fish's wording that was out of place.
---
My The Last of Us Review:
gamefaqs.com/ps3/652686-the-last-of-us/reviews/review-154646
#5Seifer_usPosted 7/31/2013 1:17:01 AM
I knew about Fish, but I wasn't aware of Johnathan Blow having said anything outlandish about Japanese games. Maybe I missed it? I have a lot of respect for his work on Braid, and The Witness is the only PS4 launch title that looks appealing to me.
---
Official Noctis of the Kingdom Hearts III Board
PSN ID: Shawnji Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#6DarkSymbiotePosted 7/31/2013 1:18:04 AM
Seifer_us posted...
I knew about Fish, but I wasn't aware of Johnathan Blow having said anything outlandish about Japanese games. Maybe I missed it? I have a lot of respect for his work on Braid, and The Witness is the only PS4 launch title that looks appealing to me.

Blow never said anything outlandish. People are just nuts and will ride with rumours.
---
My The Last of Us Review:
gamefaqs.com/ps3/652686-the-last-of-us/reviews/review-154646
#7GigerSupremePosted 7/31/2013 1:24:40 AM
why cant indie devs not be total jerks or make good games?

seriously, braid and fez suck.
#8ISquat600lbsPosted 7/31/2013 1:36:23 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
Seifer_us posted...

Blow never said anything outlandish. People are just nuts and will ride with rumours.

If you don't think gross over-generalization is outlandish then perhaps like him you're also judging the work of everyone from one specific country based on a few games you're familiar with brahs.

"Demon's Souls does this, so I think all Japanese games do this way too much, Western games don't do this." That's what he said in a nutshell. Fact is what he was talking about is something plenty of non-Japanese games do and Demon' Souls isn't the handholding experience he was making it out to be, and you don't even have to read the few tutorial notes, which mostly just give you an idea of the controls, it's not like they're complex controls either compared to a lot of Western games.

And being so blunt and harsh to a foreign guy who talked about how much he was proud of his country in a humble way is a real douchey move, having an obese, disgustingly fat guy who needs a beard to hide as much of his ugly face as possible laugh uncontrollably in the guy's face is also disgusting, it was basically bullying they all knew they were putting the guy and his country down in a room full of Americans and as an American I feel pretty ashamed that not one person stood up and called the guys out for being #$*holes.

There's plenty of innovation in Japanese games and plenty of good recent games from Japan, there's also just as many sucky games from the USA as there are from Japan. I don't even know what the guy was talking about when he was saying Japan needs to update their technology, nothing he's worked on has the quality of Capcom's MT Frameworks or Kojima Productions' Fox Engine, the graphics quality of a bunch of AAA Japanese franchises.
---
Most of the time I'm riding bicycles and on a lot of Colombian marching powder and coffee, forgive me if I act like an #%$hole. Or not, IDC.
#9CronoDynePosted 7/31/2013 1:39:26 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
They're not wrong at all. It's Fish's wording that was out of place.

Of course they're wrong. They're grossly over generalizing and exaggerating an entire nation's hand in the video game industry while refusing to acknowledge that the same criticisms made about Japanese games can be made about many Western games. This video is an extreme case of cultural bias and it's downright nonsensical.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#10CammyApplePosted 7/31/2013 1:46:27 AM
So he complains about tutorials in Japanese games. I dunno, my Japanese games still tend to come with manuals.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.