This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

should every game have an in game difficulty option?

#11GuhGat(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 12:02:28 PM
PolishCockatiel posted...
Yes

Games like Assassin's Creed comes to mind.

Forgot about this perfect example. The lack of a difficulty select entirely put an end to my playing this game. Got to a part I simply couldn't beat. And that was it, sold the game. At least I admit it lol.
#12PolishCockatielPosted 7/31/2013 12:07:40 PM(edited)
GuhGat posted...
Yes

Forgot about this perfect example. The lack of a difficulty select entirely put an end to my playing this game. Got to a part I simply couldn't beat. And that was it, sold the game. At least I admit it lol.

Err, the vast majority feel the game is far too easy and that the main character becomes an unstoppable killing machine.

I personally want a very hard difficulty setting to the series.
#13GuhGat(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 12:14:05 PM
GuhGat posted...
Yes

Err, the vast majority feel the game is far too easy and that the main character becomes an unstoppable killing machine.

I personally want a very hard difficulty setting to the series.

A theme of my videogame life has become games being too hard. I can't describe it but it happens over and over again and its very discouraging. I found many parts of AC3 very difficult. Its damaging my faith in videogames, especially when others seem to find these games easy.
#14MayorJohnsonPosted 7/31/2013 12:18:28 PM
Every game should have dlc that plays the game for you because screw hard stuff
#15JM_3711Posted 7/31/2013 12:19:33 PM
Yes, it's terrible when you are half way through a game and there is a sudden ridiculously hard boss fight, so you have to restart in order to make it easier.
#16AlltraPosted 7/31/2013 12:34:14 PM
MayorJohnson posted...
Every game should have dlc that plays the game for you because screw hard stuff

The point of having difficulty modes is so that you can adjust the difficulty to make it fun to play based on your skill level. Difficulty is all about the individual skill level of the player. People find different things to be easier or harder than others, so having flexibility to alter the difficulty to match your skill level makes things more fun.
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#17DJ_0000Posted 7/31/2013 12:34:45 PM
In my opinion most games should simply because they are too easy on normal however not all games need it from the beginning. Take Dark Souls for example, it would ruin the experience to give an easy mode option but once the game has been completed once I would like an option to start in NG+ when I make new characters.
---
PSN: gatewaytohell | Kahlan | lv 200 | Sorcerer & PSN: gatewaytohellalt | Kara | lv 150+ | Fighter
PSN: gatewaytohellal2 | Iris | lv 1 | Fighter
#18TerotrousPosted 7/31/2013 12:38:33 PM
Alltra posted...
The point of having difficulty modes is so that you can adjust the difficulty to make it fun to play based on your skill level. Difficulty is all about the individual skill level of the player. People find different things to be easier or harder than others, so having flexibility to alter the difficulty to match your skill level makes things more fun.

Yes, that's true, but you shouldn't be able to play 99% of the game on "very easy", up it to "very hard" at the last second and get credit for beating very hard.

If you want to beat the game on the hardest difficulty, you have to go through it all, potentially unfair difficulty spikes and all.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#19AlltraPosted 7/31/2013 12:41:23 PM
I don't disagree, which is why I don't consider locking "Achievements" or "Trophies" if you change difficulties to be a restriction. It's more of a requirement. You HAVE to play the whole game on that difficulty to earn it.
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#20KatonPosted 7/31/2013 1:00:21 PM
Yes. There is nothing wrong with providing more options for players. If someone doesn't wish to play an easier or harder difficulty, they should not have to do so.
---
"You can almost taste how much the Bubsy 3D makers hated the children of America," from Seanbaby's review of Bubsy 3D (EGM #150)