This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is Sony allowed to get away with blocking people from their saved games?

#1The moonlight knightPosted 8/3/2013 12:07:03 AM
If anything goes wrong with the PS3, even though the hard drive and everything on it is fine, they're blocked from all their saved games and such. It's kinda severely ****ed me and someone else I know over, tremendously.

Really need a way to be able to access the stuff on a hard drive of a PS3 that crapped out. :/

Also, if you think having to pay them extra money for PS+ and having to have a broadband internet connection to upload things to the "cloud" is an acceptable solution, you're either a shill or a doormat. Neither of which having any merit to their words. And backing things up on a memory stick:

- Doesn't work for some saved games that are copy protected
- Many more games' saved data will refuse to work on another PS3, acting like it's not yours, unless you have a PSN account and log into that other PS3 with it, which is bull****
- You shouldn't need to buy an extra accessory to access your saved games on a perfectly working hard drive

The least they could have done is let you remove the hard drive, put it in a new PS3, and so long as your PSN has logged into that PS3 at least once, it'll be accepted as yours. The way things work now, the fact they designed it to block you from your data, and that Sony won't fix the consoles to let you keep your hard drive nor show the slightest concern for how ****ed over their customers are, is bull****.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#2mogar002Posted 8/3/2013 12:08:46 AM
Because shut the **** up and because it's not Sony
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i.imgur.com/gcqrYXl.jpg
#3The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 12:10:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Sony made the PS3.
---
#4Zack_Attackv1Posted 8/3/2013 12:14:29 AM
So uninformed.
---
\V/ e n u s i a n Empowerment!
http://i.imgur.com/lLp95sF.jpg http://i.imgur.com/YSLUWsX.jpg
#5CammyApplePosted 8/3/2013 12:16:07 AM
The moonlight knight posted...
If anything goes wrong with the PS3, even though the hard drive and everything on it is fine, they're blocked from all their saved games and such. It's kinda severely ****ed me and someone else I know over, tremendously.

Really need a way to be able to access the stuff on a hard drive of a PS3 that crapped out. :/

Also, if you think having to pay them extra money for PS+ and having to have a broadband internet connection to upload things to the "cloud" is an acceptable solution, you're either a shill or a doormat. Neither of which having any merit to their words. And backing things up on a memory stick:

- Doesn't work for some saved games that are copy protected
- Many more games' saved data will refuse to work on another PS3, acting like it's not yours, unless you have a PSN account and log into that other PS3 with it, which is bull****
- You shouldn't need to buy an extra accessory to access your saved games on a perfectly working hard drive

The least they could have done is let you remove the hard drive, put it in a new PS3, and so long as your PSN has logged into that PS3 at least once, it'll be accepted as yours. The way things work now, the fact they designed it to block you from your data, and that Sony won't fix the consoles to let you keep your hard drive nor show the slightest concern for how ****ed over their customers are, is bull****.

The least they could have done is nothing. They have back up options. They can not account for the lowest common denominator. Doing so impedes technology advancement altogether.

Sorry but either adapt or get left behind.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#6The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 12:16:08 AM
Zack_Attackv1 posted...
So uninformed.

So trollish.

I've been around two PS3s crapping out. That was more than enough to show me how bull**** Sony is.
---
#7CammyApplePosted 8/3/2013 12:16:58 AM
Zack_Attackv1 posted...
So uninformed.

So trollish.

I've been around two PS3s crapping out. That was more than enough to show me how bull**** Sony is.

Then you could have used the HDD from the first to backup the second data.
---
#8The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 12:19:00 AM
CammyApple posted...
The least they could have done is nothing. They have back up options. They can not account for the lowest common denominator. Doing so impedes technology advancement altogether.

What sort of ignorant nonsense is this? Adapt? Adapt to what? Paying for the privilege to be able to keep your data? I don't think that's the future. It's a scam.

Neverminding for a moment the fact millions of Americans (and that's just one country) live somewhere no broadband internet is even available (and not all of them live in rural places), nothing about what I said would impede advancement. Where did you pull that from? Your ass? Sony Defense Force handbook 101? How would the WACKY notion of being able to access the data on a perfectly working hard drive impede tech advancement, exactly. How exactly would taking a hard drive out of a non-functioning PS3, putting it in a new PS3, and being able to access the saved data on that hard drive, impede advancement?

Go on, explain. I'll wait.
---
#9The moonlight knight(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 12:20:19 AM
CammyApple posted...
Then you could have used the HDD from the first to backup the second data.

I at no point had two PS3s at once. Are you implying it's reasonable to buy a second blank PS3 to use to make regular backups of your main PS3 until the main PS3 fails? Really? Would that even work on copy-protected data? Because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. You can't back that up in that way, only transfer it.
---
#10CammyApplePosted 8/3/2013 12:22:53 AM
CammyApple posted...

What sort of ignorant nonsense is this? Adapt? Adapt to what? Paying for the privilege to be able to keep your data? I don't think that's the future. It's a scam.

Neverminding for a moment the fact millions of Americans (and that's just one country) live somewhere no broadband internet is even available (and not all of them live in rural places), nothing about what I said would impede advancement. Where did you pull that from? Your ass? Sony Defense Force handbook 101? How would the WACKY notion of being able to access the data on a perfectly working hard drive impede tech advancement, exactly. How exactly would taking a hard drive out of a non-functioning PS3, putting it in a new PS3, and being able to access the saved data on that hard drive, impede advancement?

Go on, explain. I'll wait.

Simply put, if they can't play then TS. I didn't have broadband until not long ago. I couldn't play online or get patches. That was just too damn bad for me.
---