This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's your favorite game in the Silent Hill series?

#41spectermaster14Posted 8/19/2013 11:49:28 PM
It's so nice to see Homecoming love. I don't even like it THAT much, it just kills me that it's so overlooked. Nearly everything in the damn game is a bit of foreshadowing and symbolism. Literally the moment you take control - even beforehand - you're being fed with details that end up extremely important. I love that kind of thing.
#42OnsIaughterPosted 8/19/2013 11:54:32 PM(edited)
Homecoming's monster designs were a mixed bag. I didn't care for borrowing monsters from the movie. And I'm sick of the dogs and nurses. But the bosses were excellently designed and there were some good looking monsters like Lurker and Schism at least.

But I always find it funny people complain about Homecoming "being too actiony" when Homecoming, unlike SH1-3, puts a heavy restriction on the ammo you can find and carry. More so with the RE4 aiming system.

In SH1-3, you could just mow down anything in your way with the handgun or shotgun and run along your merry way. In Homecoming, you have to time your attacks and dodges. That's what I liked about Homecoming's combat. You couldn't just blow everything away. There was actual strategy involved.

The games needed to make changes to combat (and more really) in order to be fresh. Maintaing the same mechanics only runa the risk of growing stale because of too much familiarity. And familiarity can lead to decreased scares and intimidation since you would already know how to deal with traps, puzzles, monsters, whatever after several games in.

I always dislike the idea the protagonist has to be a bumbling idiot to be "scary".
---
Stealing IP addresses since 2011.
#43Bob the AlmightyPosted 8/19/2013 11:54:52 PM
spectermaster14 posted...
It's so nice to see Homecoming love. I don't even like it THAT much, it just kills me that it's so overlooked. Nearly everything in the damn game is a bit of foreshadowing and symbolism. Literally the moment you take control - even beforehand - you're being fed with details that end up extremely important. I love that kind of thing.

I really liked Homecoming. My favorites are SH 1-3 and Downpour but I generally feel Homecoming is a much better game than the average fan gives it credit for.

I actually don't dislike any game in the series (at least the main ones; still gotta buy Book of Memories) and the only reason why I rate SH 4 and Shattered Memories so low is I find their game play terrible. I really enjoyed the characters and stories of both games but I just don't like sitting down and actually playing them. Not that Origins is some sort of masterpiece though.

Still Shattered Memories was an incredible "first experience." But I feel once you know the big twist and the very subtle changes in replays there's not much reason to go back. I find myself replaying it the least. Still I must have enjoyed it enough to buy all three versions (Wii, PSP, and PS2) haha.
---
You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.
#44CyborgTwentyPosted 8/19/2013 11:56:28 PM
SH1 = 8/10
SH2 = 10/10
SH3 = 9/10
SH4 = 7/10
Origins = 6/10
Homecoming = 7/10
Shattered Memories = 5/10
Downpour = 4/10
#45jason19192Posted 8/20/2013 2:30:22 PM
CyborgTwenty posted...
SH1 = 8/10
SH2 = 10/10
SH3 = 9/10
SH4 = 7/10
Origins = 6/10
Homecoming = 7/10
Shattered Memories = 5/10
Downpour = 4/10

SH1=10/10
SH2=10/10
SH3=8/10
SH4=8/10
Origins=8/10
Homecoming=6/10
Shattered Memories=7/10
Downpour=8/10
#46Enix BelmontPosted 8/20/2013 2:36:56 PM
It's honestly 2, but I voted for my second favorite because 2 is the obvious winner. Downpour is my #2
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#47Grimmgamer13Posted 8/21/2013 4:25:32 PM
The original SH is not only my favorite, but I say the best in the series and I'm not just speaking from a nostalgia point of view. Definitely the best opening in the series, some of the most disturbing enemies to date ( little green demon children with knives anyone), a wonderful score that can hold up to the sequels amazing soundtracks, and THE best otherworld sequences IMHO.

Also it's the only one that actually made me upset by a characters death.

**spoilers if you've never played it**

When Lisa starts bleeding to death and begging you to hold her, banging on the door after you push her away, I was shocked by the senselessness and sadness of it. The accompanying music tugged at my heart and reading her journal afterwards really burned the whole scene into my head as one of the saddest experiences in a video game I've ever had.