This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I buy Super Slim?

#1eXaphorPosted 8/16/2013 1:03:48 AM
Hello there,

Just need some opinion and advice about the Super Slim model, I had thought to buy it since my Slim(Lightning edition) has been acting up these past weeks, where the console turned off after turning it on. I guess, the infamous YLOD?

So, my question is.. does the Super Slim any good? as compared to the Slim? I heard there are no real hardware changes between those two, beside the large capacity of 500GB.And more importantly, will this model survive from the YLOD issue?

Thanks. Any advice and suggestion is welcomed. :D
#2mogar002Posted 8/16/2013 1:05:25 AM
Buy w/e is cheaper
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i.imgur.com/gcqrYXl.jpg
#3KatzeManPosted 8/16/2013 1:18:44 AM
The super slims are still kinda too new to accurately gauge how susceptible they are to stuff like YLOD. I've had one for a few months and I'm happy with it. I think they run a little bit louder than slims naturally but not much. The slide open top is a flaw for some but I like it. It's handy if it ever DID get YLOD or something. Supposedly they have a better time keeping cool and use less energy, too.
#4eXaphor(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 1:45:24 AM
KatzeMan posted...
The super slims are still kinda too new to accurately gauge how susceptible they are to stuff like YLOD. I've had one for a few months and I'm happy with it. I think they run a little bit louder than slims naturally but not much. The slide open top is a flaw for some but I like it. It's handy if it ever DID get YLOD or something. Supposedly they have a better time keeping cool and use less energy, too.

I see, assuming I haven't watch any videos of it, my guess is in order to insert the disc, I have to slide open top of the console? like the Slim PS2? and it seems the eject button from XMB is also removed?

How about the temperature? did it get warm quickly compared to slim? Any missing/removed functions from previous model? Hmm, I just wonder if the console have any chances of getting YLOD in certain period..
#5mogar002Posted 8/16/2013 4:06:38 AM
eXaphor posted...
KatzeMan posted...

I see, assuming I haven't watch any videos of it, my guess is in order to insert the disc, I have to slide open top of the console? like the Slim PS2? and it seems the eject button from XMB is also removed?

How about the temperature? did it get warm quickly compared to slim? Any missing/removed functions from previous model? Hmm, I just wonder if the console have any chances of getting YLOD in certain period..

They don't get too warm at all
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i.imgur.com/gcqrYXl.jpg
#6Godly_GoofPosted 8/16/2013 4:24:37 AM
This is what I've heard about super slims.

SOME super slims have had some heat issues, it is NOT common but just be aware. Tmk everyone that's had it happen still had it under warranty so it's not a terribly big deal.

Disc tray can be a bit of a pain if you have stupid fingers. Otherwise not really an issue.

Super slim supposedly runs a little louder than other models but thats about it.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#7eXaphor(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 9:55:51 AM
how about the loading times? does it take too long for certain games? like UC3 or The Last of Us for example. I also read that the console often lags or freeze at some point, when playing games or navigating through the psn/xmb as compared to slim model?
#8este914Posted 8/16/2013 10:07:49 AM
eXaphor posted...
how about the loading times? does it take too long for certain games? like UC3 or The Last of Us for example. I also read that the console often lags or freeze at some point, when playing games or navigating through the psn/xmb as compared to slim model?

No its fine
---
...::: este914 :::...
The One & Only!
#9Zack_Attackv1Posted 8/16/2013 10:32:38 AM
Had mine since Feb and it's still kicking.
Bring on the GTA
---
\V/ e n u s i a n Empowerment!
http://i.imgur.com/lLp95sF.jpg http://i.imgur.com/YSLUWsX.jpg
#10eXaphor(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 8:56:48 AM
I forgot to ask another question, do I need to deactivate my previous system for the PSN thing? well, I haven't done any transaction that requires credit card, only downloaded free DLCs, as well redeemed codes that included in few games (AC3 for example).

So is it okay not to deactivate it? and will I still be able to access my existing PSN id on my new system? (Sold it already, haha..)

Thanks.