This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't get it....why don't they put up the E3 demos on PSN after it's over?

#1BaseChouGokuPosted 8/17/2013 1:28:28 PM
If they were willing to let the public play them at E3 to generate interest and hype, why wouldn't they follow through on PSN?

Like FFX HD for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9v0ly6G4dE

Seems like a no brainer. Back before this gen, the only way that would happen would be if they put them on those Official PSM discs that you got with the magazine...and to think about it. we got more demos back then too..
#2coolsurfer800Posted 8/17/2013 1:31:55 PM
Maybe they signed an exclusivity deal with E3
---
No, John. You are the demons.
PSN = chuckyhacks
#3BaseChouGoku(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 1:39:35 PM
coolsurfer800 posted...
Maybe they signed an exclusivity deal with E3

That makes no sense, I've seen some E3 demos pop up on PSN before in the past. What purpose does it serve E3 AFTER the event is over? I'm not talking about during...
#4HalloIsItMeYourPosted 8/17/2013 1:46:44 PM
I think the logic is: if you're only able to do something at E3, you're more likely to attend E3.
#5BaseChouGoku(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 2:10:16 PM
HalloIsItMeYour posted...
I think the logic is: if you're only able to do something at E3, you're more likely to attend E3.

AFTER the fact.

You know like...months after it's over when no one cares anymore...

You attend E3 to get first hand first shot experience of playing said new game etc
#6JosephDigitalPosted 8/17/2013 2:28:28 PM
I never realized this this until now. Nintendo does, so I wonder why Sony doesn't?
#7HalloIsItMeYourPosted 8/17/2013 2:29:12 PM
BaseChouGoku posted...
HalloIsItMeYour posted...

AFTER the fact.

You know like...months after it's over when no one cares anymore...

You attend E3 to get first hand first shot experience of playing said new game etc

I knew what you meant. I'm trying to offer you a possible explanation from a marketing perspective why they do things this way. If you make E3 demos available after the event, then you've taken away the "specialness" of the E3 demo. The idea of an E3 only demo is to capture the attention of people who might not otherwise attend E3. If, year after year, all of the exclusive E3 demos are released on the PSN store, then those people who might attend E3 to get a chance to play will just stay home and wait for it to come out on the PSN store instead of going to E3 and spending money while they're there. It's all about money. And it's as much if not more for E3's benefit, than it is the actual game publisher.

I'd rather they just put the demos out on the PSN as geographically E3 doesn't work for me, so I just don't get to try them. But you wanted to know why they do things this way, and this is why. Money, the reason most business do what they do. They feel that there is extra money to be squeezed out of us by doing it this way. And they're probably right.
#8coolsurfer800Posted 8/17/2013 4:29:05 PM
Well, I guess another reason is that usually E3 demos are very early alpha or beta builds and a lot of stuff changes before the final demo or game release.
---
No, John. You are the demons.
PSN = chuckyhacks
#9AnonUnknownPosted 8/17/2013 4:30:28 PM
It rarely happens. You can find the GOW3 demo but not the Ascension one, which is (i think) exclusive to Total Recall blurays.
#10CrimsonGear80Posted 8/17/2013 4:32:23 PM
I never realized this this until now. Nintendo does, so I wonder why Sony doesn't?

i don't remember downloading the demo for the new Mario Kart to my Wii-U.....
---
Glad DmC shipped a million copies and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif